When Jan Robinson's husband died suddenly and unexpectedly, she had the idea of asking any other widows, whenever and wherever she met them, for two tips about how to deal with widowhood - anything that came to mind, whether it was what to do or what not to do, however seemingly unimportant.

The first two tips were: firstly, no matter how low you are feeling,...
Published 17 months ago by lizhurley

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a no from me...
I lost my wife recently and saw this reviewed - I think in the Guardian - so I bought the Kindle edition. Pretty insubstantial for the money, I read it in about 20 minutes. Left me feeling patronised and robbed. The section at the end about getting your affairs in order before a loved one dies just made me cross. IT'S TOO LATE FOR THAT.
Published 1 month ago by Simon M.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful, beautiful little book. It is like a quiet wise friend., 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tips from widows (Hardcover)

The first two tips were: firstly, no matter how low you are feeling, get out and about as much as possible; and secondly, unless it is financially unavoidable, do not sell your house in the first year of widowhood, because you will almost certainly regret it.

Two dozen widows and six months later, Jan realised that she had the makings of a book. Thus this pocket-sized manual, which consists of a series of tips, anecdotes and practical advice from women who have lived through the loss of a husband.

"This is a wonderful, beautiful little book.

It is like a quiet wise friend, full of comfort and practical counsel when your world has collapsed or changed beyond recognition"
-- Joanna Lumley

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a no from me..., 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tips from Widows (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure of a book, 10 April 2015
This review is from: Tips from Widows (Hardcover)
My husband died suddenly and unexpectedly. This book was recommended in a Sunday paper so I sent for it and can honestly say it was extremely helpful.The part on finance alone is well worth reading especially if, like many older women, you don't have a joint account that your Direct Debits were paid from. Although I had a joint account, I alerted several of my friends who have now ensured they have not made this mistake. So many things are changing in your life it is a relief to read how other widows have dealt with so many difficult situations in a practical and often sensitive way.

3.0 out of 5 stars sadness, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Tips from widows (Hardcover)
It is hard to know or what to do when you lose a loved one but most of this book is common sense !!! You must make yourself do things.. when you've been together so long.. The family can be a pain or a god send ..

4.0 out of 5 stars but a easy to read, 1 April 2015
This review is from: Tips from Widows (Hardcover)
I have to say it is a book I had to suggested to a friend that we could write. It covered most of the areas that we had talked about. Very practical and covered the 'guilt' experienced as time passes. We were beaten to it! but a easy to read, practical guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have liked more content but some good tips, 7 April 2015
Irene Mitchell (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tips from Widows (Hardcover)
gave it to a recently widowed friend but skimmed it myself first. Would have liked more content but some good tips.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best For Newly Widowed, 25 May 2014
Mrs. C. A. Bennett "Grandma Bennett" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tips from widows (Hardcover)
For the newly widowed, very useful but for me after two years I had already done lots of stuff in it. So not very much new in it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, 29 April 2015
This review is from: Tips from widows (Hardcover)
Bought for my Mother in law and she likes it. Fast delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book, 24 April 2015
This review is from: Tips from Widows (Hardcover)
Very helpful advice to someone who was newly widowed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 April 2015
Very good thanks.

Tips from widows
Tips from widows by Jan Robinson (Hardcover - 31 Oct. 2013)
Used & New from: £0.01