5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle and intriguing. A real page turner.
Published 15 months ago by sinope

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but did I understand it?
This book flows really nicely, has interesting description and even subtle humour. I was enjoying it throughout but maybe it's just me that feels I'm missing something at the end? I was left just wanting a bit more.
Published 8 months ago by Samuel nigh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 11 July 2013
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Paperback)
This is a very unusual read. The main character is David, an artist and part time support worker for Pete, a psychiatric out patient. It is not an easy book to review without giving away anything of the storyline, except to say that once David meets Pete strange things start to happen and it becomes clear that all is not as straightforward as it should be in their relationship. Then again, it all soon becomes apparent that not all is as it should be in his relationship with his girlfriend Sarah either. It is a story in which everyone seems to be keeping secrets from each other.

I really wasn't struck on Sarah at all, there didn't seem to be anything appealing about her and in fact she turns out to be a bit of a schemer in the book. There just didn't seem to be that spark of chemistry between them, and they were more like flatmates than boyfriend and girlfriend. There is quite a side story involving Sarah and her sister Clare and I did feel that maybe this was going off on something of a tangent a bit, although admittedly it was good reading. It just didn't seem to add anything to the main story of the complex relationship that builds up between David and Pete. I felt as if I wanted to know what the effects would be on David's relationship with his father, but that seemed to be dealt with in a very rushed way, to be honest. I have to say I did guess the hook of the book some way in, but only a short time before it was revealed anyway.

There were a few editing issues, most noticeably the words flash and flashing always seemed to come out as fash and fashing, so maybe another proof read would be beneficial?

On the whole though, it is a good story, but just not quite hitting the mark for me although I have to say I absolutely loved the first third of the book. It is well paced and dialogue between the characters is realistic. Amazon review ratings suggest 3* for an OK read and 4* for a read you like. I am stuck somewhere in the middle here, but going for a 4* because on the whole I did enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle and intriguing. A real page turner., 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Paperback)
I was hooked from the start by the voice of the narrator, David Price. He is an artist by trade, making a living by selling his work, but his life takes on new meaning when his girlfriend talks him into taking on a part-time job as a mental health support worker. David enjoys this new challenge, and feels that he is getting along well with Pete, the man he is assigned to support. The story then begins to twist and turn, sometimes mysterious, sometimes on the edge of sinister, as David begins to realise that the strings of his life are being pulled in ways he can't quite fathom. Compelling to the end... a really good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt and moving, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Paperback)
The author's empathy and connection with the subject matter shines through at all times. It's a compelling story and intriguing glimpse into a world of which I had very little knowledge - but by the end I felt i had a better understanding of it, or at least a notion of the challenges people face.

4.0 out of 5 stars Map of Nowhere, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and for the most part it was an easy read. It's about things that were, things that are and things that might have been. The characters worked well and the observations of human nature and its frailties were very good. It is a powerful story of lives and deaths in which it could be said that very little actually happens however don't let that put you off. If family lives and mental health issues interest you I'd be surprised if you didn't get something out of this narrative. I confess the twist in the middle did surprise me (pleasantly) and made the tale even more interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story that stays with you, 30 July 2013
Ms. Sarah Mckenzie "SMckenzie" (Preston UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Paperback)
I rarely find a book that I literally can't put down but this was certainly the case with 'A Map Of Nowhere' The books main character David is a slightly flawed and unlikely hero who intrigued me from the first chapter and kept me turning the pages to find out more about him.
Bannister's dialogue is punchy and authentic and the plot is allowed to develop in an organic way which seems lacking in many modern novels.
I highly recommend 'A Map Of Nowhere' it's certainly one of the best novels I've read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first novel, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
This book is not from my usual genre, but as someone who has worked in similar fields to the main character in the book, I thought I would give it a try. I am very glad I did. The characters are very well developed and there is a depth to the narrative on a number of different levels that gives it a degree of authenticity, which not only adds to the story line but keeps the reader interested throughout. Excellent read I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and original, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and will look for more from this author. Worth every penny, sad ending and all.

4.0 out of 5 stars a map of nowhere, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
A beautiful and very unusual read. When I started reading it, I realised how tired I was of the books written by a template, how refreshing it was to read a book written by someone who had thoughts and a story and he just wrote it. The book is very unusual but so easy to read, it has a very subtle humour and short enough not to get bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this but was disappointed by the ending. Can't comment on that further without giving it away, but it seemed to go through the motions and peter out (excuse the pun!) The idea was good and the secret Sarah was keeping from David, when we eventually find out what it is, was unexpected, thought provoking and quite sad. Another reviewer felt Sarah was very devious and I agree, but some people are. Would read others by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and original, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Map of Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
A compulsive read and moving story. Originally written, with an intriguing plot that provides a touching portrayal into the complexities of mental illness. The relationship between Pete and David is sensitively observed and delivers a refreshingly realistic insight into the tragedy/comedy often associated with mental illness and it's effect on close relationships. The plot keeps you guessing till the devastating and deeply moving ending. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Map of Nowhere
A Map of Nowhere by Martin Bannister (Paperback - 1 July 2013)