Published 13 months ago by Tommy Dooley

3.0 out of 5 stars Best for a Beer Fan
Published 1 month ago by Michelle

5.0 out of 5 stars All a Beer Lover needs to Bluff their way in any company -beeriod!, 2 Aug 2013
Tommy Dooley (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Beer (Bluffer's Guides) (Paperback)
Beer, loved by all but understood by the few and I am a recent convert to `real ale' so wanted to get this before I stagger off the `The Great British Beer Festival'. Beer is the catch all word for a number of brews that are essentially a mix of barley, malt, yeast and hops. This includes ale, stout, porter, pale ale, bitter and of course the ubiquitous lager. This little book does not set out to make you an expert in all things beer related; as the art to bluffing is having just enough knowledge to make people believe you know a lot - rather the opposite to "hiding you light under a bushel". Or is that light ale under a hop bush?

So we get a whistle stop tour of beer through the ages, right from the Mesopotamians brewing some crude concoction in 9000BC through other highlights like Louis Pasteur working out how fermentation works in 1857 and the zenith of all things beerology wise with the invention of shandy in 1922 by Bavarian, Franz Xaver Kugler. We then get a whole section on how the stuff is made and you will discover lager is bottom fermented and likes it cold and ale is top fermented and hankers after room temperature. So next time you are asked if you are a `top or bottom', you will be better equipped to have a witty riposte.

We then are told how to serve beer, and don't think those vino types get to have all the theatre, some beers have their own glass and some Belgian ones their own serving handle, think `Kwak' for example with its mini yard of ale contraption that can only be used whilst sober. Then we have a bluffers wiz through the world of beers with its origins in Europe and especially Germany, Belgium and of course Britain, but beer is brewed all over the world and America now boasts nearly 1,800 micro breweries or craft beers as they like to call them and Britain a mere 500 but ever growing. This is a much needed back lash against the big multi nationals that control so much of the beer in the world including Chinese `Snow' which is the biggest selling brand in the world and you have probably never heard of it.

There is oodles more in here besides including limbic beers the difference, or rather lack of it, between porter and stout and the fact that `CAMRA' was originally called `The Campaign for the Revitalisation of Ale' and not as we know it today `The campaign for real Ale'. This will inspire you to get more appreciation from your booze of choice and also might even encourage you to get a bit more adventurous in what flows over your palate either way it is an insightful and witty read as well as being incredibly great to a would be bluffer. I received a copy for review purposes and I am glad I did as I have been encouraged to drink even more beer with the waffer thin excuse of `research'. I did so much research the other night that I phoned a friend in America, `missed' all over the downstairs cloakroom and chatted up a hat stand. There really should be a PHD available for this stuff you know.

Anyway this is the perfect accompaniment to any boozers library, author Jonathan Goodall has done a splendid effort in aiding you in ale quaffing `beervana' and if I meet him I shall buy him a pint - probably a `Moylans Kilt Lifter' or `Crutchend Gravediggers Mild' or at a push maybe a snifter of `Comrade Bill Bartroms Egalitarian Anti- Imperialist Soviet Stout' - bottoms up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best for a Beer Fan, 17 July 2014
While the Guide is informative, I felt like the humor wasn't as strong in this one as it is to others in the series. I also felt like I was getting bogged down with the science behind the beer-making. However, not being much of a beer fan myself, I can see why this Guide didn't exactly work out for me. I would recommend getting this for a beer enthusiast who really wants to learn about the history and the process of beer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Beer Guide, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Beer (Bluffer's Guides) (Paperback)
Do you enjoy the taste of a cool beer but can't tell a stout from a pilsner? If so, this book's for you! The Bluffer's Guide to Beer promises to provide enough information on beer so that the reader will be able to "bluff" their way through any conversation about it. It's not just beginners that will like this book, however, as the material will be informative for most beer experts, as well.

The book is organized into roughly four sections. The first is a quick timeline of beer history; this is quirky, but hard to get into, as the rest of the book's prose is stronger. The second section is a very detailed discussion of how beer is made. Anyone interested in home brewing or learning the differences between the brewing styles of various beers will love this section. Since I'm not a home brewer myself (at least not yet!), I found the general information interesting, but was lost in much of the details. The latter half two-thirds of the book are stronger, with a very practical section on serving beers and a very handy guide to the different styles of beer. These beer-style profiles are excellent for beginner beer aficionados and accomplished hop-heads alike. The profiles are organized by country of origin (England, German, Belgium, Czech, and American, as well as a rundown of the top-10 mega-brews). There is also a very functional beer glossary at the end, which will help a newbie figure out some of the common beer lingo.

In sum, I think this book really picks up steam as it goes on. I consider myself an intermediate beer expert and still found it very informative, which makes me think its appeal goes well beyond the beginners that "Bluffer's Guides" are aimed at. If you need a gift for a beer fan, this book would be a great idea!

5.0 out of 5 stars a well constructed tour through the history and geography of beer, 15 Dec 2013
Emmster "the book wurme" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Beer (Bluffer's Guides) (Paperback)
I was given a copy of this book and can heartily recommend it to anyone interested in the origins of beer and the milestones encountered on a long and winding history.
I was surprised at the amount of information packed into each and every page. There are far too many nuggets of information to absorb in one go (for my tired brain at least) and so, like acquiring the taste of a quality beverage, this little tome will easily stand up to a second and most likely a third reading!

I found the writing style to be pleasantly conversational which was essential to hold my attention - otherwise it would've been quite a dry (excuse the pun) read.

If you're in the market for an introduction to the history, production methods and varieties of beer available from around the globe - this would be an excellent place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluffers Guide to Beer - All Without a Headache or Hangover, 30 July 2013
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Beer (Bluffer's Guides) (Paperback)
Just what is needed on a hot summer day, nice cold beer, but which one is the best?

Look like you know all about beer from the palest of ales right through to beer from further afield. Which beer is best drunk with pork scratchings or maybe scampi fries. What to look for in each different beer and an important one which glass is best.

By the time you had read this little book of knowledge about beer you will know which is the best pint to be had, either that or have a headache after trying the various ones mentioned. Failing that it might still be a case of which ever is on offer at the local supermarket, but keeping the beer knowledge for when out when wanting to impress. Remembering though never to order just a half.

A novel stocking filler or birthday present for most males that would no doubt appreciate it even more with a bottle or two wrapped with it.

Had to give it five stars as really is a small book but full of lots of interesting facts about beer and written in a tongue in cheek way at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crisp and refreshing, 11 May 2014
Steven Morrison "chopper32" (Aberdeen, U.K.) - See all my reviews
A light-hearted and informative look at beer. Some great tips and interesting facts. An excellent overview to whet your appetite for a variety of beers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beer Bluffers Guide, 25 July 2013
Both entertaining and informative as with Wine Bluffers Guide both written by Jonathan Goodall. He has a wit and awareness beyond regular descriptions for drinkers - a nice gift for friends.

The Bluffer's Guide to Beer (Bluffer's Guides)
The Bluffer's Guide to Beer (Bluffer's Guides) by Jonathan Goodall (Paperback - 1 Jun 2013)
5.91