4.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Eating category book
Lots of good recipes. Well illustrated. One or two minor outdated bits of information. Not just a coffee table book.
Published 2 months ago by Anne G. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly...interesting but a bit hard work
Published 1 month ago by Miss S. M. Summers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly...interesting but a bit hard work, 5 Jun 2014
Miss S. M. Summers (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honestly Healthy for Life: Healthy Alternatives for Everyday Eating (Hardcover)
I really enjoy reading books about new food trends and styles and I was quick to buy the original HH book. I found their first book quite challenging, not only in the taste dept (In no doubt due to my proclivity for less healthy foods) but also because I found some of the ingredients difficult to source. Since then I've continued transitioning to a more healthy way of life , so I purchased their second book with excitement.

The first part of the book is more literature than recipies - but that's OK as the whole HH approach is about making life long changes - so I really enjoyed reading the information given in this section such as where foods registered on the acid/alkaline scale, how eating alkaline can help a range of heath issues such as fertility and cardiovascular problems. There is also a very handy 5 day meal planner an a HH larder list.

Moving onto the recipie section, they are not divided up into the standard breakfast - lunch - dinner - pudding sections, instead we have -

1. On the Go
2. Lazy Times
3. Hell of a Hullabaloo
4. a Breath of Freshair
5. Hostess with the Mostess
6. Fixers and Boosters

Each chapter comes with their own sub headers within, so for example the first chapter is headed 'On the Go' but has sub sections such as 'Morning Quickies', 'Lunch on the Move' and 'Sunday Prep'. So I would recomend taking the time to read through the book and familiarising yourself with the recipies in each section, then you can fit them into what you would think of as breakfast - lunch...etc..

The recipies at a quick glance contain -

1. Puy Lentil, Brown Rice and Sweet Potaot Salad
2. Raw Green curry with Courgette Noodles
3. Chocolate Kale Chips
4. Vegetable Crumble in a Creamy Thyme Sauce
5. Sesame Burgers
6. Melt in the Mouth Doughnuts
7. Orange and Almond Cake

To name but a few....

So why am I giving it 3 stars, well I am a bit dubious about the clams made in the book in terms of fertility and mood - I believe that there are multiple affcting factors that can influence particular health issues - and diet is not the 'cure all' for these problems - but I do belive that it can help.

Secondly - this book is for people that are already well into healthy eating and have a palate that is ready to accomodate the HH approach. It is a big shock to not only the bodily 'system' but to the taste buds if you are heading into this book from an un-healthy or even a meat/dairy eater position. It is a predominantly Vegan, Vegetarian, raw cook book - and it uses some ingerdients that can be difficult to source. So if you are already a Vegan or a very healthy eater and looking to refine your diet to the next level then this is the book for you. If however, you are looking for healthy recipies that are a little more forgiving and accesible then I would recomend Dale Pinnocks new book 'Healthy Every Day'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing!, 3 April 2014
As and advocate of the first book, I pre ordered the second from Amazon. In hindsight, I wish that I had waited and thumbed through it before coughing up 25.00. Its very pretty yes but I am disappointed. As a cookery book, it lacks true substance. Theres a distinct absence of proper meal recipes, instead is filled up with an enormous amount of cakes, puddings, sweet snacks and such like. There's little in the way of great salads, grains, pasta and pulses recipes, instead a lot of side vegetables. If you're deciding on which to buy, all the great ideas are in the first book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Stop, don't buy - get the first Honestly Healthy book instead, 15 July 2014
Let me first qualify this review by saying that my girlfriend and I bought the first Honestly Healthy book not long after it came out. The cover is now looking a little worse for wear as it has been used it so much. We have cooked about 80% of the recipes from it and it is a great introduction to alkaline cooking. By contrast this book - Honestly Healthy for Life - is poorly compiled and photographed and despite receiving it several weeks ago we have yet to cook one recipe from it. The sections are confusing and the whole production looks rushed. A third book is being prepared but I will make sure I thumb through this carefully in a book store before ordering. If you are thinking of ordering this book, please stop and look at the first book in the series called Honestly Healthy. This will offer you a much better introduction to the author's style of cooking and you can then decide for yourself if you want to buy this second book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Eating category book, 7 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 May 2014
This is a must buy book! It is so informative and educational! It has great recipes for a better way of life!

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting read, 26 July 2014
I really enjoyed the recipes from this book. I did find it frustrating that you couldn't just go to an average supermarket to get all the ingredients I had to go either online or to health food store...maybe just keep that in mind. A part from that the recipes are easy and taste lovely. I really like all the information provied at the beginning of the book about eating healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipies, 5 May 2014
What is says on the cover, good healthy information that is easy to understand and great recipes for real people leading real lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars More excellent recipes!, 10 May 2014
J. D. Hessey "dutchdalek" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
We started 'alkaline' eating to see if it had effect on my daughters depression. We weren't bad eaters before regarding fruit and vegetables but ate a lot of bread/pasta/cereal and milk products. Eating like this is strange at the start but you get used to it.

In the beginning it was costly establishing a store of all the core ingredients. Luckily I had a blender. It also took more time to prepare the food. I seemed to be chopping for ever! But as with everything practice makes perfect and we are doing very well on it.

Having started with the first book 'honestly healthy' and liked it, this book gives different recipes to choose from.

The chapter choice I found a little strange in the beginning. Not starters / main / desserts as you would expect but I always use the handy oversight recipe table , to find what I am looking for quickly.

I cannot say that this food cures depression but as a non depressed person it has helped flatten my stomach, made me feel more energetic, improved my metabolic rate (I think) and very slowly I am losing weight. Although I am full every day I am not eating any sugary things (but plenty of lovely desserts and cakes!).The changes I feel can, I think, for anyone lighten your mood. Who doesn't want to skip around with an 'unbloated' flat tummy!.

The down sides are the cost of the food itself and the initial (whilst you are starting out) increased preparation time.

Positives: obvious health benefits and possibly a reduced gas bill as I am cooking less!

The book is excellent giving lots of information over the food you are eating and what it does for you. The first section is a good read in itself even if you decide not to try the recipes.

We have been doing this for over a month now so time will tell I think but we plan to continue and I am looking forward to more recipes in the third book (please?)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... use regularly (as well as her first one) - love all the recipes but my only criticism are the ..., 30 July 2014
This book stays on my kitchen table all the time as it is the only cook book I now use regularly (as well as her
first one) - love all the recipes but my only criticism are the quantities for some. They can be way out - ie
the oat and raisin cookies. The ingredient list is enough for 4 times the amount stated! It has become a way
of life in our household and cutting out sugar has been a revelation. Extra recipes are on their
blog which arrive regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cook book, 30 April 2014
Absolutely would recommend this way of living to anyone . I got the first book by chance in a cheap book shop and ordered this straight away. The way of cooking and some ingredients is totally different but beautiful food and really healthy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›