4.0 out of 5 stars Inventive though depends what you want from your soup!, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Great Homemade Soups: A Cook's Collection (Hardcover)
There are some really inventive soups in here, not to mention some classics you might have always wondered how to make. A short section on crunchy cheesy things to go with your soup is inspired! The recipes are in g/ml, lb/fl oz AND cups, so wherever you live in the world, quantities should be fairly easy to figure out.

I have a couple of niggles with the recipes, though these stem from my attitude to soup-making, which perhaps needs to change. For me soup is a way to make odds 'n' sods into a tasty and cheap lunch - often transported to the office - that is more than the sum of its parts. I wouldn't normally go out to buy ingredients specifically for a soup.

1. Generally speaking they're just a bit complicated, which adds to the cost (three kinds of sausage in one soup is two too many for me) and you might find you don't have something you need.
2. They're conceived "as a piece" - which is brilliant in some ways, but it can feel as if you'd be missing the final piece of the perfect jigsaw if you left something out. And it feels like a disservice to the writer!
3. Slightly too many meat-filled recipes for me - personal preference perhaps but puts me off making these as my soup spend 2 hours on public transport with me before it hits the fridge.

These are just niggles though - based on the couple of recipes I have made so far, which have been excellent, it's worth persevering.

5.0 out of 5 stars No avoiding the puns!, 1 Feb 2014
David Jenkins "Hub-UK" (Ipswich, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Great Homemade Soups: A Cook's Collection (Hardcover)
Memories of hotel dining rooms (they were not called restaurants then), when I was a child, remind me that the soup course was a very important part of dining back then but today you rarely see soup on the menu in so many places which is a great shame. Has the great British public fallen out of love with soup? Not so judging by the massed ranks of tins and packets (and tubes) of the stuff you will find on the supermarket shelves. But how many of us actually make our own soup?

When I think back I often think I was raised on soup. Of course I wasn't but we did seem to eat a lot of soup during the winter months . . . and it was always the same soup! We still liked the soup but a bit of variety would have been nice. With no helpful cooking shows on the TV to aid our mothers nor any of the glossy cookery books of today it was no wonder the repertoire of the home cook was limited, not to mention the availability of ingredients or the lack of them.

I am as guilty as my Mother for always making the same soup, although in my defence at least I do make home-made soup. It was with great pleasure that I discovered Great Homemade Soups by Paul Gayler.

Great Homemade Soups takes the making of your own soup to a whole new dimension. There are soups for all occasions and soups for all seasons. There are soups to impress and there are soups to bring comfort, whatever you are looking for there will be something here you will just love.

In the great British tradition of publishing cookery books this is a beautifully produced book with the quality of photography we have grown to expect as the norm in such books. Just looking at the photographs makes you want to have a go at making so many of the different soups. If they look that good imagine how good they must taste!

In his introduction Paul Gayler says “ . . . soups are making a real comeback. I urge you to join the trend, get out your pots and pans and discover the great soups of the world”. Just take a peak inside the covers of this book and you will not need any further urging. It has brought a whole new range of dishe to my repertoire of starters and light meals.

Don't miss out, this is one souper book you have to add to your cooking library! (Sorry but I couldn't resist the bad pun.)

5.0 out of 5 stars 'SOUPER', 15 Nov 2013
Jane Brackfield (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Homemade Soups: A Cook's Collection (Hardcover)
Paul Gayler is a chef I admire and have other books by him. This does not disappoint he again mixes flavours and textures to produce a varied and delicious selection of recipes. If you are buying someone a liquidiser, food processor or vitamix as a present this will compliment it perfectly. I would give this as a gift to girlfriends or to men I know enjoy cooking.

Great Homemade Soups: A Cook's Collection
Great Homemade Soups: A Cook's Collection by Paul Gayler (Hardcover - 10 Oct 2013)
17.00