5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of love, war, orphans and elephants

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable
Published 8 months ago by Brenda Crick

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of love, war, orphans and elephants, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: ELEPHANT MOON (Kindle Edition)
This is a story which engages the heart at many turns of the tale. A young British schoolmarm escapes from Burma during WWII with her orphan charges, unwanted girls who are the unwanted results of illicit Burmese and British relationships. On the danger-fraught journey to India she encounters courage, betrayal, and love However, the real protagonists of the story are the elephants who demonstrate intelligence, courage and parental love. For me this made the story special as these magnificent animals are being killed at unprecedented rates by ivory poachers. I hope everyone who reads this story will fall in love with the elephants and vow to work in some small way for elephant conservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Elephant Moon (Kindle Edition)
What a marvellous book! And oh how I loved Grace. This story would make a brilliant film. I too would love to know more about the real history behind this tale and the research and commitment to telling it has paid off. I highly recommend this novel and I look forward to John Sweeney's next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced fun, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Elephant Moon (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I should declare my interest: I share a publisher with John Sweeney. However, I wouldn't review this book positively unless I felt it was really worthy of such a review. Elephant Moon is a pacy story and a great read. I particularly enjoyed the feisty character of Grace and the bumbling ways of Mr Peach. Sweeney has managed to inject plenty of humour into the novel despite the fact that the true events it is based on were very serious indeed - making this fast-moving adventure a lot of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Elephant Moon (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely amazing read. I could not put the book down. Very well written, you fall in love with the characters straight away and fear for their lives all the way through. Amazing story based on true events which the author has done an amazing job honouring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling account, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Elephant Moon (Hardcover)
I was honestly surprised by how gripped I was by this enthralling story set in Burma during World War II. I knew the author to be a distinguished journalist who has worked in some very dangerous locations and a witty and compassionate writer on many topics but he has drawn on all that experience to create a well researched and highly readable story made all the more harrowing and moving by being based on real events. I found myself caring about the fate of the characters [ including the elephants] and read the book quickly, anxious to find out their fate.

At the end of the book I found myself wanting to know more about the events on which it was based and wondering about the right actress to play Grace , the attractive [ although occasionally infuriating] heroine when the book is turned into a film , as surely it must.

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: Elephant Moon (Kindle Edition)
What a ripping good yarn!. This was a really enjoyable read and I got so caught up in it I missed my station. Great to have a female protagonist who is resilient but beievable. The elephants are enchanting characters and you got the impression the author really cared about them. The characters back storys are interesting and for me educational as they provide an opportunity for the author to fill us in on the actual history of the time leaving me wanting to learn more. The story is vividly told, I was in that jungle. It would make a great film and I hope someone has the sense to make it into one. The truth at the heart of it desrves to be heard and the author has done a great job in the telling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elephant moon, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: ELEPHANT MOON (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put it down. Enjoyed enormously.
Description of the country and the hardships of such a journey imparted a sense of reality in this fictional account. A relevant message too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: ELEPHANT MOON (Kindle Edition)
It's an okay book but nothing special. The characters are mostly archetypes especially the bad guy, and none of them have any real depth. So saying, it was easy to read, and gave an interesting insight into Burma during the second world war, especially about the use of elephants. In fact I found I cared more about the elephants than the people! Don't think that was exactly what the author intended.

3.0 out of 5 stars To unbelievable, 27 Feb 2014
Ann Power - See all my reviews
This review is from: ELEPHANT MOON (Kindle Edition)
I gave up on this book because it was to much like another version of a Town Like Alice or Inn of the Sixth Happiness with a woman taking children through Burma during the war but without feeling that it was a real journey. I found it not believable in that she apparently had 60 children to care for in one old bus and driver with a 'Jiff' popping up at appropriate moments to help until he got killed. That was when I gave up reading as it was becoming totally unrealistic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elephant Moon, 4 Feb 2014
Mr. Roger Hopes "Cottonwood" (Cardiff S Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ELEPHANT MOON (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book very much , very well written and informative especial the description off the fall of the major cities

Elephant Moon
Elephant Moon by John Sweeney (Hardcover - 8 Oct 2012)
Out of stock