Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 November 2013
Opening this book is like returning to a locked room, untouched and unvisited for over 40 years.
This is an incredible tour de force of research by the author into a subject that as he correctly points out throws up only a couple of minutes of grainy footage on any internet search and yet here is a synopsis so complete, and so informed, you have to wonder in awe as to how such detail was obtained. A remarkable feat.
It is exactly how I recall those wintery Saturday afternoons without which,and in common with the author again, I would never have gained my enduring love for all things two wheeled off-road. This was the catalyst that enabled me to get my dad to take me to watch moto cross in the flesh, including some of the events featured in this book at places near to my home like Naish Hill, Doddington and Leighton, (the latter still in use to this day and I am still attending regularly nearly 50 years on).
Not only that, in Dave Bickers, it gave me my first real sporting hero and I remember watching in dismay as Chris Horsfield armed with a fiery beast from behind the Iron Curtain began to get the better of my hero, and yet in the end he still won through. No sporting icon in the ensuing half century has come close to matching this level of idolatory. This book brings this all back to focus and tracks every twist and turn in the black and white adventures of my hero, Smithy, big John Banks, Badger Goss et al.
It is a faultless work, great pictures and a nice touch in framing the timeline by referencing major events occuring as the series unfolded.
Probably one for the purists, but I am sure these will be sufficient in number to ensure such a work pays its way.
Never satisfied, it would be great to see Mr Berry do the same for the ITV equivalent where you got sidecars and solos as well as the remarkble tones of Dennis Parkinson.
READ THIS BOOK!
on 23 October 2013
I couldn`t put it down, it took me straight back to those Saturday afternoons sitting with my dad watching scrambling on the telly. An excellent, well written book with loads of amazing old action photographs.
on 3 January 2014
I was still at primary school when Saturdays came alive with the coverage of these races, so I don't remember the facts - thankfully this book provides all the answers, brilliant.
on 17 January 2016
Superb publication. Not just great photographs but a chronological account of all the TV Scrambles with results and comments from the great riders of the golden days of Scrambling in the UK.
on 5 July 2015
Excellent book and a great buy second hand. Well written and laid out, with good photographs. Recommended for classic off road bike enthusiasts
on 5 March 2014
Brought back memories from 60's and 70's when this sport was on Grandstand regularly and watched my many interested fans.
on 21 January 2014
The recipient read it from cover to cover, Not bad for someone who doesn't read books very much. Well done.
on 26 January 2016
Great Motocross Book fantastic reading and the pictures you will be amazed with the history of the book.
on 21 July 2014
Excellent piece of off road motorcycling history, especially for someone who was there.
on 1 April 2015
takes me back 50 or so years on the black/white screen. fantastic foto's.