Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2014
I bought the book as it seemed to be the in coaching book to read. I made a good decision! As a youth coach who has done it for over six years starting out as a coaching dad I have always loved what I do.
I've never been a great player and only played amateur locally. Coaching has been something I love since I started and still is.
I've recently took a step back and started again at u8's. Lost my way a bit as a coach.
After reading this it has given me food for thought and a hunger to better myself even more.
I might stay with my our u8's but will strive to make them a great bunch of players and human beings.
Thanks for the read Gary
Mike Lindsay.
on 26 January 2014
This is a fantastic book for coaches of all levels. It's a really easy read (a good thing!) and packed full of useful info and tips on how to get the most out of your coaching. The topics focussed on look fairly high-level at first, but don't be fooled - the sessions described are of high quality with good progressions. I've applied many of the sessions and tips in this book now and have been astonished at the difference it has made. Thoroughly recommended.
on 17 December 2014
Many coaches pick up these books & immediately flick to the coaching sessions. Even if there were none in here, and there are, this book spells out some valuable lessons for the modern coach. Establishing the right environment, relationships etc are central themes and, whether coach, potential coach or player this book should be on your "wish list".
on 18 October 2014
A fantastic book, highly recommend for all coaches whether grass roots, or pro. A great insight to what is required for the modern day coach, looking at a variety of different areas backed up with excellent drills, and an in depth discussion of how to set up and execute perfectly. Up there with one of the best books I've read.
on 16 July 2014
A great read! Very informative and some great ideas for coaching sessions but also more of the psychological side of players and how to get them performing at their highest level. I am preparing to take my Uefa B and I feel even more confident now with the information I've learnt.
on 12 October 2014
Superb detailed book. Ideal not only for the new progressing coach, but also for the established and involved coach that may need the direction or possibly missed detail. Very interestingly set out chapters. Recommended
on 9 May 2014
this book is okay, I don't really know what I was expecting, its a personal view and alines to the FA model of a 4 corner approach to football, technical, tactical, physical and phsycological. There are more informative books out there. A bit of a rip off really.
on 6 August 2015
An excellent book that really does live up to its title. Gary's views and ideas are that of a modern coach and this book highlights that. I found that it chanced my way of thinking about certain aspects of coaching and helped me to re-evaluated what what I was currently doing. It has some great ideas for drills on certain topics but also got me thinking about how I can change sessions I put on to better suit the teams needs. Highly recommend this to any coaches of all levels.
on 27 November 2014
Covers the aspects of the game that coaches could easily overlook.
I have implemented the concepts and they work for me.
on 18 July 2014
Brilliant book full of useful ideas and tips. Although I've attended coaching workshops from a business viewpoint as well as a football one this book gives great insight into coaching and how to improve sessions. If your drills break down, or you are losing too many games this is well worth a read. Cant praise it enough.