5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, beautiful pics, easy to follow recipes
I was keen to get this book as i have eaten at the hotel where the author works a couple of times and the desserts were amazing.

This is a really clear book, with great step by step pictures making the technical parts easy to follow. I have only made a few things so far, but all have been seriously tasty.

Highly recommended, and brilliant value at...
Published 16 months ago by Greg

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Disappointing. This French pastry books starts well, Murielle explains the basics, Short crust, sweet short crust, choux and puff pastry but through out the book Murielle leave a lot to guess, here and there quantities are missing and recipes are incomplete, and if you are not a confirmed baker to start with you will be lost.
If like me you thought that by paying...
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, beautiful pics, easy to follow recipes, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Patisserie: A Step-by-step Guide to Baking French Pastries at Home (Paperback)

Highly recommended, and brilliant value at the amazon price. Why pay loads for celebrity TV cooks, when you could use this book written by a real working chef.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Oct. 2013
I am very happy I have purchased this book as the recipes are very well detailed.
It's an easy book to use and that's what we need.
I bought a copy for my friend's birthday too and she was delighted.
I think with Christmas coming it will be a perfect present to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars so good I paid full price!, 21 Oct. 2013
This is the patisserie book i've been waiting for ! I saw it the day after it was published in my local bookshop and I had to buy it then and there for the weekend! I'm an experienced cake and pie baker but with very little Patisserie making experience.

The book is divided into sections starting with basic techniques : sweet shortcrust, sablee, savarin dough, genoise, creme patisserie, creme anglaise, brioche dough etc etc. Each is accompanied by simple instructions and lots of clear photos to help you understand. Then it moves into how to use those basics so chapter one is on sweet shortcrust pastry and includes: How to line a tart tin and how to bake blind and the recipes are apple and cinnamon tart, rhubarb tart, alsatian apple tart, parisian flan tart, blueberry and lemon tart. Other chapters are: sweet pastry, sablee pastry, puff pastry, choux pastry, rising doughs, flans, egg batters and creams, sponge cakes and sweet treats. They all include more how to's along with recipes.

I love that she has crammed in so many recipes, apart from an Opera cake I couldn't see anything obvious that was missing, plus there are lots of new ones to me. Her genoise is different from other recipes i have in that it does not include any butter which she doesn't comment upon, in other recipes she does say where she has changed a traditional method and sometimes discusses different methods- e.g in macaroons, I found this very helpful .So far i've only made the Basque custard pie which involved me making Creme patisserie for the first time and it was a big success. I'm sure i'll get plenty of use out of this book and I really like the way that it inspires you to try your own combinations due to the fact that the basics are used in several different ways in the book.

The only niggle I have is that i've noticed the odd typo, 200mlg double cream foxed me for a while (p.84), the Basque tart says in the recipe to bake for 30 minutes but at the top it says 40-50 minutes. I just hope there are not any serious mistakes.

I think Murielle has done a fantastic job with this book , it really includes just about everything i wanted and is a good workable size, not a huge tome as some specialised bakery books are.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect guide to patisserie making, 12 Nov. 2013
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Whose mouth does not water at the sound of the word 'patisserie'? With this book, you can master the art of making French pastries at home. Murielle employs the traditional hand techniques in her art. The step by step instructions and photographs show you how to make a variety of pastries, doughs, sponges, creams and meringues. Learn how to make a variety of tarts, tartlets and pies, pithiviers and turnovers, millefeuille and choux, clafoutis and pancakes, roulade and cakes, madeleines and financiers with the basic pastry techniques. For breakfast, you'll discover how to make croissants, brioches and breads. This is a wonderful and easy to follow book, filled with absolutely delicious recipes. All my favourites and a lot more are here in this wonderful selection of sweet desserts. For anyone who loves French food, dessert and the art of cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea time made perfect...., 3 Nov. 2013
C. W. Peck (Spain) - See all my reviews
This splendid new book is an easy to follow guide which makes available all kinds of pastries to bake at home. The photographs are particularly good and Murielle imparts her skills with much attention to detail. We also learn a little of her family background which simply confirms the natural flair that the French have for creating such wonderful treats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Jan. 2014
Fantastic book easy to follow even if you are a new beginner, great recipes looking forward to doing them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book at a great price, 15 Jan. 2014
Lots of really good recipes. One of the best baking books I have (I have a LOT). They all take quite a long time to make as they have a lot of steps but it's well worth it. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 31 Mar. 2014
I really enjoy this book, it provide you the procedure to do traditional french pastry step by step. Good quality and fantastic pictures. Tried my first batch of Madeleines and were a success.
A great book even if you are a beginner in the baking world

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has made me look and cook like a boss!!!, 19 Jan. 2015
I have had this book for approximately two months now, and after knocking out a few of the recipes all I can say is that I am very satisfied. The book is clear and concise with easy to follow step by step instructions and has pictures as well which I found aided me in the process of cooking.

What I will say is that I was a pastry and dessert rookie, so I was using this as a starting point and I feel I have come on leaps and bounds as I had a little bit of a fear of doing desserts as I thought it always appeared so difficult. This book has given me a bit of a cooking addiction and I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace!, 4 Nov. 2014
This book is written by a french lady who has been making traditional patisserie desserts most of her life. In my mind this alone accounts for quite a bit. But this is not why I'm giving it 5 stars.

The book is easy to follow. Its doable. Its possible. It doesn't ask you for ridiculous ingredients like gold leaf sprinkles. Yet it has the complexity and joy to keep you interested, wanting to browse and try all the different recipes. We have all bought cookery books in the past where after trying a few things.... we kind of put the book to one side. Something wasn't quite right. Too complex? Too expensive. Too much equipment. Not this book. This book is ace.

It very much has a feel of French home cooked desserts, delicious as they are, but also (often) made from what was at hand in the fridge or available in the season.

I am yet to encounter a situation where the author hasn't specified something enough for a recipe to succeed. I haven't tried all the recipes in the book yet. But even if this was the case with anybody, just go on and experiment. Whip a bit longer. Make base a bit thinner. Leave in the oven a bit less or more. Use your imagination. Ingredients vary so do the conditions in which you are conducting the cooking. However, so far, all her instructions were very good.

Ok, it might be easier if you own a kitchen mixer. And prettier if you have a blowtorch. But not the end of the world if you don't.

Bear in mind the author isn't a robot and probably has made a mistake somewhere or omitted something. Deal with it. All in all a terrific book which will give you a bunch of very enjoyable evenings and hopefully will teach you a few tricks.

Patisserie: A Step-by-step Guide to Baking French Pastries at Home
Patisserie: A Step-by-step Guide to Baking French Pastries at Home by Murielle Valette (Paperback - 17 Oct. 2013)