5.0 out of 5 stars At Last a Book .....
At last a book that earns it's place in the shelf right next to where you cook.

Published 15 months ago by Sue

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for new cooks :-)
But then again exactly what was I hoping for? It has lots of suggestions so if you're a real cooking novice it would be a useful addition to your kitchen, however I'm quite an experienced cook so it didn't really offer up much that was new to me.
Published 3 months ago by GinMummy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last a Book ....., 15 May 2013
Sue (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Leftovers Handbook: A-Z of Every Ingredient In Your Kitchen with Inspirational Ideas For Using Them (Paperback)
At last a book that earns it's place in the shelf right next to where you cook.

Set out alphabetically with hints and tips for getting the very best out of ALL your leftovers. Nothing needs to find it's way into the bin, the only things that don't like this book are my chickens, suddenly all their tasty scraps are being turned into whole new meals for us and there's less for them. Highly recommended for every cook, whether a beginner or a cook of many years, there are so many tips and ideas in its pages, and with the brilliantly simple 'go to' recipes at the back of the book a complete winner in my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and interesting book, written with a sense of humor!, 12 May 2013
I wish i'd had a copy of this book ten years ago! it would have saved me heaps of rotten potatoes and onions! (buy your your own copy!)..written with a quirky sense of humor, which I love , this book is very informative and useful and has ideas, hints and tips I would never have thought of..the recipes are great, some of them very different as I believe the author spent many years travelling, and cooking in different places, and the influences come through in some of her recipes.I will keep this book very close to me when I am in the kitchen as I know its going to be a godsend. Very useful in these days of frugality! Thankyou Suzy Bowler!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookery books are really very boring, 7 Jun 2013
G. Bray (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
But this one definitely isn't! I simply don't buy recipe books but I liked Suzy's ice cream book so much that I was actually looking forward to this one being born.

It is really, really useful because I live with just a dog and so either have to forego treats, or eat too much of them to save waste or throw them out because they smell peculiar. Having found a yoghurt in the back of the fridge dated last August because it was too good to waste, but not finding quite the right time to eat it in 10 months, I most especially appreciate some ideas on how to make unpalatable bits and pieces into something else before they form a bacterial coral reef. I'm sure the average person will see a return in investment inside a fortnight.

This book isn't just useful, it's very funny, interesting and educational, and I'm ashamed to say I have been reading it at bedtime while gnawing on tarted up scraps.

Brilliant piece of work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Read, Helpful Guide, 22 May 2013
This handbook is extremely easy to navigate through, when you have a ingredients you have left over - you can easily identify meals that can be made using that food.

An excellent selection of different recipes, which include realistic ingredients that are easy to get your hands on.

I would recommend this book to anyone who hates to waste food and enjoys full flavoured meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 5 Nov 2013
This book is a must have in your kitchen, We love it so much that we are going to get our 5 grown up daughters a copy each for their stocking . 5 star

5.0 out of 5 stars Save with Suzy, not Jamie!, 3 Nov 2013
This book saves on many levels – money saving, waste saving, taste saving, stress saving, bin saving. Savings all round in fact. Written with dashes of humour and pithy comment this book is a fabulous guide to avoiding food waste, whilst giving you loads of ideas for things you wish you did have leftover.
I highly recommend the Bread and No Butter pudding. This was to use-up some double cream I bought reduced, it turned out to be the best B&B pudding I have EVER made, (the family confirm this). The tip about drying the bread in the oven first, as my waste bread wasn’t stale/dry enough, really helped the milk mixture soak in.

This book should be within reaching distance of every oven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful!, 10 May 2014
I love this book. In addition to being clearly set out in alphabetical order and having good ideas for using up a huge range of food, it has tips for cooking and for each ingredient a list of things that go well with it. I have used it a lot since I got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leftover Heaven, 13 Nov 2013
If you feel the same about using leftovers as I do, then I can truly recommend Suzy Bowler's wondrous book The Leftovers Handbook. Suzy and I have conversed for a while on social media, discussing recipes and the use of flavours and a few days ago we were very lucky to receive a copy of Suzy's book. At just under 300 pages this fabulous book guides us through what we can do with a plethora of ingredients all categorised alphabetically from Aubergines to zest. There are tips and handy hints to get you in the mood and if you are looking for leftovers inspiration then this is the book for you.

Interspersed with the ingredients are wonderful recipes, recipes without pictures, a feature I totally agree with. The addition of pictures in cookbooks only serves to increase pressure on the modern-day home cook and experimenting with the flavours and ingredients is far more important than stacking your vegetables or smearing a coulis across your plate. One of the great things about this book is the ease in which each ingredient is showcased and the recipes follow on so naturally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 10 Nov 2013
This is a good book to help use up left over food and also gives recipe ideas and suggestions. Useful to save throwing food away and having waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Leftovers Handbook, 26 Jun 2013
"Inspirational"!
Suzy Bowler's "Leftovers Handbook" is an inspirational encyclopedia of ingredients.
Written in an intelligent witty way, it inspires not just how to rejuvenate your leftover meals, but also gives fresh, new and interesting ideas for all the contents of your store cupboard and fridge to create delicious dishes.
I had only got to the A's before I was inspired to go out and buy anchovies so I could make the anchovy croutons.
This book is brimming with food facts, handy hints, recipies, tips and ideas from Ailoi to Zucchini and everything in-between.
A valuable addition to any kitchen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›