4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars. A Collection of Unusually Good Short Fiction.
'Binocular Vision' is the latest collection of Edith Pearlman's marvellous short stories; there are 34 stories in all; 21 of which have appeared before - although some of these are in a different format - and 13 new stories. If you haven't heard of Edith Pearlman before, or have not had the chance to read any of her work, then providing you enjoy intelligent and...
Published 17 months ago by Susie B

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one for me
"Binocular Vision....Vision that incorporates images from two eyes simultaneously. The slight differences between the two images seen from slightly different positions make it possible to perceive distances between objects in what is known as depth perception."

This was our book club choice for December and if I'm totally honest, one of my least...
Published 5 months ago by Bookboodle

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an absolute delight. The title aptly defines the focus of Ms ..., 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Kindle Edition)
This book is an absolute delight. The title aptly defines the focus of Ms Pearlman's writing. I love the fact that some of her stories are quite intense and make me think. Without the padding of most authors she requires the reader to focus immediately. The pleasure of this is that I keep wanting to read again - just to check that I did not miss anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite wonderful, 10 Sep 2013
Caryl (Port Louis, Mauritius) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on the strength of the wonderful reviews it got from reliable sources, but even though I was prepared for something special I did not expect to be so riveted by an author I had never heard of...how often does that happen after all? Having devoured the book in big chunks at every possible moment of the last week I am now sure that Edith Pearlman is a major literary voice. The perfection of her prose and limpidity of her intelligence are a real treat for a reader looking for something really special.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 13 Aug 2013
traveller (stirling, scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Paperback)
I bought this having read very positive reviews in the press, and am very glad I did. You are drawn into the stories, which are beautifully crafted and thought-provoking, with well-chosen words and excellent writing. If you are a fan of short story fiction then this is definitely worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight..., 9 Aug 2013
Mr. J. G. Lingham (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Hardcover)
All the other reviewers were right. This is one of the most exquisitely crafted collections of short stories to have emerged over the last twenty years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine collection, 5 Aug 2013
M. Mountford ""ladybird"" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Kindle Edition)
This is a fine collection of short stories. Pearlman's prose is both original and literary. I shall take it little by little, like a box of good chocolates, savouring every one.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read!, 30 July 2013
Mrs. Nuala Wainwright "nanny noodles" (dublin, ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Kindle Edition)
This collection of what I can only describe as "insights" or cameos or snippets of literary brilliance was a most enjoyable read for me. The prose is excellent and each snippet just about long enough to portray the essence of the story. I loved it! 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting - shame about the print size., 28 Mar 2013
bookworm8 "bookworm8" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Hardcover)
I looked forward to getting this as the reviews were excellent but although I found the stories interesting and beautifully written, I really struggled with the print - smaller than I find comfortable to read. How I wish publishers would make the font size available to us before we order books.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Kindle Edition)
Compelling stories that often have the weight of larger novels, replete with brilliant little gems of phrases, that one keeps wanting to copy down (and steal for re-use) because they are amazingly apt. A major writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was not disappointed. Brilliant stories bring alive the worlds she explores, 20 July 2014
S. Rayner (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book. I actually read it again almost immediately because I felt I would get as much from a second reading as from the first. I was not disappointed. Brilliant stories bring alive the worlds she explores. Particularly vivid the stories with Sonya during and after WW2. The recurring background of East coast American Jewish culture and suburban Dodolphin provides a pleasing link. How had I never heard of Edith Pearlman???

5.0 out of 5 stars As Anne Patchett said, should be universally known about and praised, 16 May 2014
T. Loewenstein (SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Binocular Vision (Paperback)
This is unique and subtle writing, many of the short stories powerful enough
to encapsulate something very complete. And so innovative and of such
variety that it puts one under a spell. Once I'd finished I got a copy for an
elderly 'bookish' friend who, like me - and Anne Patchett - wonders why
Edith Pearlman is not a household name (though she has won multiple
prizes - so her quality is obviously recognised. A truly gifted writer!).

Binocular Vision
Binocular Vision by Edith Pearlman (Paperback - 4 July 2013)
6.29