5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant could not put it down.
Although to start it seemed to be complicated once into the first few chapters it became intriguing drawing the reader into the story slowly revealing the outcome of each situation, twisting and turning throughout the whole book. One of those books you never wanted it to end. So well written recommend it to anyone and would love to read more from this Author Malika Ghandi
Published 2 months ago by Mike Borja

3.0 out of 5 stars Freedom although not quite
A nice tale about friends and friendship set against the last days, of the Raj but it loses its way and the connection between the human cost of independence and the main thread of the story.
Published 16 months ago by Manj Kalar

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant could not put it down., 1 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars well done, 31 Mar 2014
F. J. West (england) - See all my reviews
great write and very well written. This author should go far as the writing is such an easy read you do not want to put down the book until you finished it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book about belief and sacrifice...I loved it, 29 Feb 2012
This is a great work of art,though i could have read it a bit quicker..right from the beginning it holds you right till the end...miss gandhi creates a flavour of 1940s india with its tongas,and rubble roads and village type of life in a way which is commendable...the shortcomings,few and far between but here goes...i found that i had to stick to a certain timetable to finish this book..it wasn't one of those easy reads that u finish off in 3 hours,as is most stuff on the kindle.having said that,this shows it was not a rip-off and for those who have the time it is a work of effort vision and clarity.an important book?certainly among those published on the kindle although miss gandhi's work shows itself as a mature,human study of freedom fighters and their personal lives and how the personal national and international repercussions of the sctions of people for their search from independence begins and ends.it is about the awakening of the nationalist conscience.
as we read we understand that the characters have to grow in a certain way before being ready for the ultimate sacrifice,a sacrifice for the principle of freedom and autonomy from a foreign power.an enjoyable read?maybe not.an interesting read? most certainly and without reservations...well done malika gandhi look forward to your next effort...

5.0 out of 5 stars First class revision of a great book!, 2 Mar 2014
When I heard about the revised of this book I was curiously sceptical. I enjoyed the original and, unlike some, I didn’t find the multiple POV narrative style remotely confusing because I use the same narrative structure in my own books.
However I was pleasantly surprised and found the revised edition hard to put down. Being familiar with the characters and story helped me to make a favourable comparison.

Malika Ghandi has successfully turned an already excellent book into something even better, This is a beautiful story of love, friendship, community and courage set against one of the most turbulent times of Indian history. This fictional account of the Quit India struggle and partition is told through the eyes of ordinary Indian people rather than the opinions of famous historical figures.

Malika Ghandi has woven a tale with her colourful evocative prose, authentic dialogue ad vivid characterisation. These are characters that you ill come to care about and so they stay with you long after you click past the last page and that’s the measure of a great story. The characters really came to life for me, especially Pooja who was a lot stronger than she believed herself to be. Indian terminology is explained without breaking the narrative flow. While there are dark aspects in this book the more depressing and harrowing aspects of the original have been removed or modified which is no bad thing.

I will definitely be looking for more books by Malika in future as I can’t recommend this highly enough. Whether you have read the original or not this is well worth your time and money. I’m just sorry I can only give five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 18 Feb 2014
This book had me gripped from the start, and you cannot fail to find a bond with Pooja, Dev and their enduring love story. I can honestly say that I both laughed and cried at this tale and it really tugged at my heartstrings. I knew very, very little about the history of India, but I am so glad that I read this novel as not only is the cover quite simply stunning, but it also educated me and gave me insight into another time, culture and existence. The book is well written and I love the fact that the author translates words throughout which are culturally specific. I found myself immersed in the plot, and inwardly fighting for the characters to come through the other end, but throughout, the writer introduces twists and turns that will leave you wanting to read more, and wondering whether they will ever get their happy ever after. I honestly, truly cannot recommend this book enough. Ms Gandhi is an excellent writer and her words flow with ease.

3.0 out of 5 stars Freedom although not quite, 13 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly written book - A brilliant read, 27 Sep 2012
Mrs. Mary V. Wood "Authormary" (Merseyside, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freedom of the Monsoon (Paperback)
As an author I am often invited to comment on or endorse a book and love to oblige, sometimes this can be a chore as I have to read material I wouldn't normally choose. In the case of 'Freedom of the Monsoon' I could say the subject matter would have fallen into that category, but Malika Ghandi has changed that with her compelling debut novel. I will now be looking for similar books and would without hesitation recommend her work.

Beautifully written and narrated through five friends living in India during the period their wonderful country fought for its independence from British rule in 1947, Freedom of the Monsoon shows us, through these characters eyes, how the fight was won, but how hollow the victory turned out to be.

Be ready to love them all and to gain empathy and insight into them as you experience each one's sometimes harrowing journey through a conflict which broke their much loved nation into a division of its people and land.

The five young people are all friends and though their lives are entwined we are with each one on their own journey as they struggle to cope, fall in love, and take on a life they didn't plan to have.

The reader is not a witness to the events as in a story that is told to us, but participates in the culture - both the gentleness and love of family to all its members and friends, and the effect the tearing apart of a nation had on its people and the extreme violence of the day.

The Indian culture is embedded in the book. The reader 'sees' the colours, the clothes and the beauty of the land. They attend weddings and taste and smell the spices, they suffer the same losses, and they hear the language as the author sometimes interjects English with Urdo. But, this last is not a problem, it is an experience as each phrase or address used is explained at the bottom of the page and a quick glance at the reference enhances the experience rather that detracts from it.

In my opinion this is a book that should be nominated for a literary prize and feted by the big publishing houses. Authors of the calibre of Malika Ghandi should not have to go it alone. The fact that they do have to indicates that there is something very wrong with the 'money orientated' publishing world.

I hope if you are reading this you will chose to buy the book as by doing so you will begin a new path in reading as I have no other I can compare it with. I can only say it is an enthralling read and one I would highly recommend to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling tale of friendship, love and courage, 23 July 2012
Set against the historical backdrop of the last years of the British Raj and the Quit India movement Freedom of the Monsoon tells the story of a group of friends; Rakesh,Dev,Sunil,Pooja and Amit.

Ms Gandhi's prose is free-flowing and deeply evocative of this turbulent time in history. But this is far from being a preachy history lesson.

It is a story of love and friendship as well as enduring courage and resilience to the trials of life. The characters experience loss, pain and debasement before emerging into post-partition life.

It will make you smile as you will want to cheer when something good happens and it will also make you cry. I used a lot of tissues and don't mind admitting it.

I hope Malika Gandhi plans to write more books because I will be at the front of the queue.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 4 Jun 2012
In her words and through her wisdom, we learn about the History of India in the forties of the 20th century, as miss Gandhi describe the fight of India for freedom. It is a heart breaking story of personal scarifies, as a whole community is fighting for its freedom in a way that leaves you heart broken. I enjoyed reading the book and learning about the people and their perspectives, their experience, and the way they look at life and the value of life. I learned while enjoying. I give this book 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful and enjoying read, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Freedom of the Monsoon (Paperback)
It took me a while to read this book but I must say it is a good read. It was very interesting to see how four individual lives although as friends started off and how their individual stories carried on within the year of 1942. I felt more involved half way through the book to see how the lives can change so suddenly and change the way their outlook in life. Malika has brought this all in the book and it was lovely to see how she adapted the Gujarati language and the indian
culture and values into this book. I was also pleased to see that she did not dwell too much into the fights and wars which is what you may expect at first, she used this strategically within the book, which was good to see and how it impacted different families. Poojas life touched me more and how she always had hope even within the hurdles of her life and stayed positive. Overall the book ended well and I would say that it can easily still have a follow up..or let you think what may happen further. Malika has shown good skill within her writing and i would recommend to this to all. I will be looking forward to her next book.

Freedom of the Monsoon
Freedom of the Monsoon by Malika Gandhi (Paperback - 11 Jan 2012)
8.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available