5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Story of ordinary people in extraordinary world
I purchased this out of curiousity; many people will recall this story from earlier in the year and now this charity book has been released.

First of all, this is a beautiful book-high quality paper, full colour photos from Martha's blog and lot of pictures of Malawi and the family.

Secondly, what a story. And well told by the father of Martha. If...
Published on 17 Nov. 2012 by David Jamieson

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
Really dull book, very boring and very disappointing as the TV programme was great. Don't bother, I wouldn't if I were you
Published on 8 Mar. 2013 by Laura

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Story of ordinary people in extraordinary world, 17 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Never Seconds: The Incredible Story of Martha Payne (Paperback)

Secondly, what a story. And well told by the father of Martha. If you're a parent, you'll absolutely identify with this book. Imagine if your young child was thrown into being a global star in just a few months-how would ou cope? The answer is that the Payne family seemed to be overwhelmed, but the kids come across as very grounded despite being asked to take part in amazing things that other children would be brattish about. The parents seem very nice and sensible and this is a very warm book. Stories of rejecting Hollywood film deals while going camping give you an idea of this! Likeable, ordinary people in a very unique situation.

I'll now be buying copies for gifts for Xmas. Brilliant stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very honest book - an excellent read, 24 Nov. 2012
I bought this book since I've been interested in the Neverseconds story from early on. It is an excellent book but really difficult to describe, and different from what I expected. The book gives the background story of Martha Payne's blog about her school lunches and the world-wide uproar which resulted when the local authority banned her photographing her lunches. The background is provided by Martha's dad David, with blog entries from Martha.

The story of the book can be viewed in a number of different ways:
* A David and Goliath story - big local authority against the ordinary people
* Parents trying to protect their family from media interest and intrusion
* The emerging importance of social media in society
* Working for better school meals
* How unlikely occurrences can provide opportunities to help others.
* The contrast between Scotland and Malawi.

It is a very honest book, and totally different to what I had expected. I had expected that it might just be a rather sentimental retelling of the happenings of the past few months with the main value in buying it being the contibution to Mary's Meals. Not so. The book does not hesitate to talk about bullying at school, about the family struggling to do what was best for all the kids, about thinking (wrongly) that relatives had sold photos of Martha to the media, about the difficulties of decision making in the face of media requests for access and instant responses.

It's the background stuff that makes this book so interesting - how they worked togeher as a family; the involvement of the grandparents; the detail of the confrontation with the council officials; the deviousness of some sections of the press; the offers they were made to go here there and everywhere. This family had the internal resources to deal with the bad things in this and divert them into a good outcome, but it left me wondering if other families would have coped as well.

A great read. But I'm glad Martha has such a good family around her. Being 'famous' at 10 years old is maybe not a good thing. It will be interesting to see what she makes of these past few months when she looks back on it all in a few years time.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Martha, prepare to adore her!!!, 20 Nov. 2012
I have love the Never Seconds blog since the very public council ban and subsequent retraction.

I've laughed at Martha's humor, learnt about food from all over the world and even been made to reconsider my own relationship with food!

But I didin't realise how touching, heartbreaking, heartwarming and just downright lovely the story of Martha, David and Never Seconds really was!

I have not put this book down since I started reading it (I assumed it would just be the blog in book form) and have absolutely adored every second of their amazing tale!

For all those out there who love amazing stories of bravery, ingenuity and downright adorable children who want to make their dreams (and everybody elses!) come true...buy and love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The children can get it right when the adults fail, 25 Nov. 2012
This is a well written book and reminds me well of the story that I started reading on the NeverSeconds blog.

Having followed the Blog I had wondered what the true 'back story' was that had lead to Martha having been told to stop taking photos of her school dinner for the Blog and then going on to raise such a fantastic amount of money for Marys Meals.

By writing this book David and Martha Payne have filled in those missing details that were not out there for us to read.

It shows where the adults in the local authority got the mood of the world wrong when they choose to stop Martha's photos. It also goes on to cover the local authorities reaction to being challenged about what they claimed and the way they then further backed themselves into a corner which resulted in making out that Martha was not being accurate in her reports of her school dinners and the choice available to all the children at her school.

Featuring Martha's Blog entries and photos along with Blogs from other children who were invited to be guest Bloggers during Martha's school holiday, with an explanation of what was causing the Blogs to be written side by side in the book the format is highly effective.

If you buy this you will want to buy a copy for a friend too, it would make an ideal Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally inspiring!, 5 Jan. 2013
I read this in 2 nights. I only stopped on the first night because I got so angry about the way Martha was being treated by people who should have known better, I wanted to go punch a council official!!
I loved the honesty of Dave Payne about his relationship with Martha and the way the family tried to handle the furore that surrounded the Council ban on the photos of the meals.
The story of the trip to Malawi and a child's perspective on the lives of the people there were fascinating. I hope the family can get back to a relatively normal life again. If she decides to pursue journalism in the future, Martha will be great.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will laugh tears and you will cry tears - amazing, 16 Nov. 2012
neverseconds: The Incredible Story of Martha Payne

I pre-ordered this title from Amazon and it arrived in perfect timing for launch.

This is a must read book, not only are you feeding 25 impoverished children in Malawi, you are getting a really great biography from 2 people currently in the spot light because of the blog NeverSeconds.

Unless it is my sense of humour, the first few pages had me in stitches and yes I can relate to the number of shoe and clothes changes - you have to read it to find out as I don't want to put any spoilers in.

Buy it as a gift or read it for yourself, I am enjoying it and hopefully you will to.

Thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding the World's children ......An amazing piece of social history, 31 Dec. 2012
Ms B. Peters "BP" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Wow ! What an amazing little girl!
Encouraged by her vision and with her Father and family's constant love and support, this thoughtful little girl documented and dedicatedly recorded the meals in her school- then amazingly children round the world discussed and compared meals An awareness of the importance of good nutritious food and meals then bringing poor hungry children to school and one nitritious meal a day through the work of Mary's Meals
,A strong message to ALL of The importance of the birthright of education and nutritious food for all the world's children and a simple solution through one child's vision resonating in children round the world .......

5.0 out of 5 stars The story behind the headlines, 8 Dec. 2012
Caroline (Roxburghshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this because we've supported Mary's meals and the backpack project for some time, and I had read the Neverseconds blog.
It was so interesting to read this down to earth account of the year the family had.
I really felt for them all - they don't strike me as limelight seekers and it must have been hard to cope with.
Bits of the book brought tears to my eyes, and made me even more committed to support this charity in future.
Well done Martha - for remaining a normal little girl in the face of all that 'fame'. And well done to the family for supporting her so ably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating read!, 25 Nov. 2012
What an excellent book! Totally captivating and I finished it in under 3 hours! I have never bought a Kindle book before but just couldn't wait for a paper book to be delivered. It's inspirational. Would make a fantastic gift. 😊

4.0 out of 5 stars A true and inspiring story helping yet more hungry kids, 20 Nov. 2012
The book arrived yesterday and I was glad I had pre ordered to beat the rush. A great read to see all the background details to this inspiring campaign. Combining feeding even more kids did it for me.

Even if I did not want to read the book I would have bought it anyway but in the end its a good read - well done.

My only question is about the tv programme where they gave out the back packs and one little girl missed out at the end as she was late for her class. It seemed very hard and I wonder if she and her family ever got one as they all have so little. It would be good to know and if we could send another lot of packs.

My interest will continue in Malawi now you have tweeked my interest. and of course your never seconds blog.

Well done to you and everyone who has helped.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Never Seconds: The Incredible Story of Martha Payne
Never Seconds: The Incredible Story of Martha Payne by Dave Payne (Paperback - 15 Nov. 2012)