5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and innovative
Published on 1 Sep 2012 by lochbroom

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought it would be
I thought this boom was going to be a bit like the 'Babylon' book series I.e Hotel Babylon. This is a collection of strange stories, supposed legends about shopping malls and a history of malls rolled into one. I didn't really like this book. It wasn't bad but the stories weren't that interesting....
Published 15 months ago by sm1975

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and innovative, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Mall (Paperback)
Tales from the Mall is brilliant. Ewan Morrison opens your eyes to all that is scary, sad and funny about malls by using fact and fiction in such an innovative way. Who would have thought that a book about malls could captivate and enthral? But it does -and I loved it. I had first of all bought it on Kindle but I've also bought it as a proper book. How else can you thrust Tales from the Mall at someone and say `you must read this'? Ewan Morrison is one of the most exciting writers in Scotland today and Tales from the Mall is one of the stand-out books of 2012.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget what you thought you knew about novels., 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Mall (Paperback)
'Tales from the Mall' is a rare book. In a world where demographics and algorithms seem to define what we as consumers apparently want Ewan Morrison has managed to highlight where it all began with heart, passion and informative diversions into the psyche of those ever-present monolithic structures which alter the natures of entire towns by their construction and gradual decline.
This is a novel. It is just not a traditional model of a novel. The real characters are the Malls themselves, their story arc spanning from birth, growth, conflict, resolution, decline, death and eventual re-birth. Not unlike Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' novels there are minor human characters who drift in and out of relevance but it is the 'empire' that still stands. The ideology.
I approached the book with trepidation, thinking at first that it would be a vanity project about a series of buildings which I don't particularly enjoy being in but the very human drive behind each symbiotic essay, story and factoid managed to convert me. 'Tales from the Mall' is a very hard book to put down and, when you eventually do, it leaves your head spinning in the best possible way. Without an obvious question mark this book manages to ask us to look in depth at something that we very often take for granted but which affects us in ways that we have never really considered.
Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mallteasers, 13 Sep 2012
lorna shields (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales from the Mall (Paperback)
Ewan Morrison's Tales From The Mall is a charming & engaging anthology of stories, anecdotes & information about malls & mall culture. Far from being the soulless temples to consumerism he has discovered the beating heart of their existance in the first-hand accounts from the staff & customers.

Written mainly in the vernacular (a favourite Glasgow word for describing "the way it was telt"), Morrison has touched on the hundreds of lives & situations that populate mall culture, and how, in turn the mall has touched it's denizens, from cleaners to customers. Far from the vacant, emotionless space we think of as a Mall, Morrison explores the personal stories of those living their lives through its existence. From the wryly amusing to the near tragedy of a suicide attempt averted, this cross-continental cross-section of Americana that coats the world has been given a more understanding & sympathetic voice.

Interspersed by these narratives are the "mall-facts": The history & the psychology (pathology surely?) behind the mall concept : how millions have been spent in the study of consumer manipulation to exploit customers & their weaknesses; how the mall has developed & devolved through exploration of the rising phenomenon of the dead mall.
This dichotamy (I love that word) between the cynicism of the corporations that run the malls & those that frequent them is highlighted in Morrisson's wry, unsentimental but engaging & poingnant thoughtfest that is Tales From The Mall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tales from the Mall. Ewan Morrison., 30 May 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Mall (Paperback)
At last Ewan Morrison has written another book. I've been waiting for ages. This is not a novel, it is a book of short stories, or incidents that happen in, or involving a mall. There are also essays and short chapters of facts about malls and mall shopping, which certainly don't bore you, they really get you thinking. This is a great book and to be basic and honest I wanted to keep turning the page, I wanted more when it had finished. The short stories were uniquely entertaining, cringing and sad. The facts about us shoppers and malls, the stats, the psychology of what makes us tick in a mall, what makes us buy, is rather frightening, like we've been had, like we are so predictable. It really does get you going. I really enjoyed reading this book; I just hope we can get another one soon from this Scottish Writer. I don't want to wait too long!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, if not life affirming ..., 5 Jun 2014
N. Buchanan - See all my reviews
Enjoyable little slices of fact & fiction with the characters vividly strolling through the pages. Life affirming it ain't, but then it doesn't pretend to be. Left me feeling rather used and manipulated, by the Mall Fathers, not the author. Reminded me in many ways of the dystopian feeling JG Ballards Cocaine Nights gave me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good new Scottish author, 16 Feb 2014
Bought this after coming across the author on Twitter.

Came highly recommended by Irvine Welsh. Personally I thought it was good but not great - but definitely look forward to move from this author in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought it would be, 23 Sep 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Impressive if you can't read, 1 Sep 2012
MisterHobgoblin (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tales from the Mall (Paperback)
I have often wondered what it is about Ewan Morrison that manages to attract so many first time reviewers who stop by, leave five star reviews, and then don't pop back onto Amazon until the next Ewan Morrison publication. In the case of Tales From The Mall, I can only surmise that they can't read. This is a hotch potch of parochial short stories, notes, essays and jottings on the loose theme of shopping centres. Except that they don't seem to be convincing, especially in a Scottish context. Scotland just doesn't have shopping centres like the ones we are supposed to believe in. Those that were built never really took off and are just full of discount shops and boarded up units. The real glamour stores are still on the high street.

Morrison can write good short stories - we saw that with The Last Book You Read - but after that, everything has been really pretentious, trying too hard to be arty. His latest novel tries and fails to get away with second person narrative. But this, a promised blend of fact and fiction, a sort of Schott's Miscellany of Shopping Centres, is really scraping the barrel. A single idea churned and rechurned; stories padded by filler apparently in an effort to fill pages.

No thanks. Not for me - I can read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Mall (Paperback)
Tales From the Mall is an excellent read, working together fiction with non-fiction in a way that is utterly compelling, thoughtful, and informative. Not only does it contain short stories set in and around shopping malls, but also essays regarding the history of shopping and how the mall as we know it came to be. A fantastic book from an incredible author and a daring publishing house - it's definitely one to put onto my 'Best of 2012' list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to miss, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Mall (Paperback)
This book is a must read for anyone who has read and loved The Arcades Project by Walter Benjamin. Morrison takes hold of this important baton and more that does it justice, bringing this important area firmly into the 21st Century. This book records the personal stories of people that are connected to a social space that is so often taken for granted. He exposes the influence and the affects that this commercial space has on our lives in a very honest and humane way. He records the stories of ordinary people and their lives for the benefit of now and future generations.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tales from the Mall
Tales from the Mall by Ewan Morrison (Paperback - 1 May 2012)