Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 May 2008
I bought this book on the strenghth of the other reviews. I think this book is great, lots of lovely flower motifs, spirals, a full alphabet, triangles, and lots more. There is also a projects section at the back which gives you some ideas to use your motifs. There are really clear instructions with a picture chart too if you find that easier to follow.
Most of all I bought it because all my crochet books on motifs, are from the 1970's and it is great to have a brand spanking, thoroughly modern new crochet book!!
on 9 January 2009
This is a lovely crochet book. The instructions are clear and concise, and many patterns are supplied with the standard text pattern descriptions and their graphical representations - great for those that prefer to follow patterns this way.
Each piece is shown completed in a good quality colour photo and there is a nice selection of projects at the back. I'd describe myself as an intermediate crocheter and have done 'squares' of almost every kind, but the picture style ones (with fish, sheep etc,) have taken my ideas of crochet in a whole new direction. The motifs are lovely, and you can use them idividually, or as bigger projects. Many of them work great on hats and cushions (either crocheted in or sewn on top) and the crochet alphabet is really nice too. This book has surpassed my expections and I love it.
on 20 May 2008
I purchased this book because although it only had one review it was a very good review. I am now adding to the list - this is a fabulous book and I am delighted I bought it. There are so many varied patterns motifs and projects that I am finding it difficult to decide which one to do first.
A great buy
on 14 May 2010
UK, May 2010. The book advertised here, published by CICO, has US terminology. There is absolutely no mention of that anywhere on this site. So much for online bookbuying.
There's another version with the same cover, published by Ryland and Peters UK, which I assume has the UK terminology. It has the following ISBN numbers.
# ISBN-10: 1904991653
# ISBN-13: 978-1904991656
Unfortunately at the time of writing it was only available 2nd hand and at a bigger price.
It's quite a well designed crochet book, of which about three fifths will be useful to the experienced crocheter. That's quite a good average really. It's a bit simple, but many designs were new to me and could be adapted.
55 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2010
This is a really lovely and inspiring crochet book. It has beautiful pictures using lovely colours. Each of the motifs and blocks is presented in full colour with full written instructions and charts. The projects pages at the back of the book take the motifs and blocks presented and use them in practical and imaginative ways. Even if they are not to your taste, it shows how our own projects could be put together. The shapes given can be used for lovely scarves, blankets, coasters, bags and even clothes. Many of them are very lovely indeed. There is a good range and sure to be something to suit. The blocks show a technique rarely shown well - jacquard or 'picture' crochet ( a bit like intarsia in knitting). There are some lovely little animal blocks that are constructed quite simply, it must be noted however, that details are embroidered. Using the information gleaned by making these squares it would be possible to design your own - with flowers rather than animals perhaps? At the front of the book there are both flowers to make and also blocks using floral design or motifs. There are numerous ways everything in this book can be used and where it particularly exels is to provide the starting point for a unique item developed by you. It is actually my favourite crochet book - it sets your mind buzzing with ideas while looking through it, which is a big plus as far as I am concerned. The only down side to this book and really I think it is quite a big thing, is the lack of finishing information - how to join your motives, either as you go, or sewing or crocheting them together afterwards. It really skims over this information and as it is lacking from so many crochet books that might be a bit of a problem; searching on-line will help you find some of the answers. Nevermind though as I still adore this book!
on 11 April 2009
This is a really excellent book. I am new to crochet (and already addicted) so I am learning techniques as well as looking for exciting designs. The book is full of well-illustrated and clearly-instructed patterns. It is good to find 'modern' projects as well as the more classic designs.
on 25 September 2007
I love this book! It is so well set out. The photography is crisp, sharp and colourful.
There are loads of motifs to choose from, some of which I have never come across before so obviously Melody has been working away designing with her hook!
The book has clear English terminology - HOORAY! There are lots of ideas at the end of the book for using all these motifs, some of which are SUPER - just love that Sheep/Baa Lamb!
This is the sort of book which is great to sit down with plus a pile of yarn and have some fun just playing.
THANKS Melody for producing yet another Great crochet book for us HOOKERS in the UK!
on 19 June 2009
I'm new to crochet and bought this book to get some idea of what kinds of things I could try to do... it's fantastic! Lots of clearly explained motifs/blocks etc that don't look too intimidating. Must admit that as a newbie I'm amazed at some of the great effects you can create - better get practicing, but I'll have to decide what to try first!
on 1 February 2009
Finding interesting and Modern crochet patterns (that aren't in american format) has been difficult. This book in brilliant! The projects are fun and contempary and really fired my imagination. I love this book, it's easy to follow, beautifully pictured and will keep me busy for many happy hooking hours to come.
on 7 April 2010
A very good book with lots of interesting projects to try out. It uses UK stitch names which makes for easy reading. There are also good picture instructions for some of the stitches - useful for beginners, though I wouldn't call it a complete beginners book.