5.0 out of 5 stars A road to recovery for wearied workaholics, 24 Jun 2013
Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Serving Without Sinking: How to Serve Christ and Keep Your Joy (Paperback)
This is a timely book. It exposes a genuine problem for many Christians and many churches: increasingly joyless service of Christ, so that tasks that once thrilled us are now a thankless drudge.

It then diagnoses the underlying cause: we serve out of the wrong motivations. These can come from either a wrong view of God- trying to earn his favour or to pay him back for saving us; or out of a wrong view of other people- trying to impress them or prove that we belong.

It finally proposes that there is a way to serve without sinking: remember who you are in Jesus. You are friends with the boss. You are the bride of the King. You are a son with a heavenly Father.

Throughout John Hindley writes pastorally, Biblically, honestly and, most importantly, with the gospel at the centre. This book has blessed my heart and, knowing what I am like, I am sure it won't be long till I need to read it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book!, 1 Aug 2013
As someone who has become weary with 'doing' in church, this book was recommended and was extremely helpful. With short and easy to read chapters, Hindley shows us what service really is - a blessing and a gift. He reminds us that God does not need us to service Him in order to bring about His plans. It made me think about service in a completely new way - can't wait to get stuck back in in September!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 27 April 2014
I have been looking for a book like this for my holiday in Greece. It will keep me occupied round the pool.

Serving Without Sinking: How to Serve Christ and Keep Your Joy
Serving Without Sinking: How to Serve Christ and Keep Your Joy by John Hindley (Paperback - 15 Mar 2013)
7.23