4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible detail, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
I have read Martin Moran's other books, and have a friend who has been a client of his on numerous routes in the Alps which have been described to me in gleeful detail, so I felt I knew some parts of his story already. That was indeed the case, but I found I could only read this book in relatively short bursts.

Why? Because it is such a detailed piece of writing that it's hard at times to take it in. It really makes me wonder how a climber like Martin, with such a wealth of experiences over such an extended period of time can recall such tiny details about, seemingly, every climb and peak he has been on. Accepting that perhaps some of this is artistic licence, this is nevertheless a very good book for anyone wanting to read another in the long catalogue of "my life and times" books by top mountain climbers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Climb with Martin Moran, 19 Jan. 2015
D. Bell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
A surprisingly good read for anyone into climbing. The book deals with a few sample climbs from his long career including Scotland, Norway, the Alps and Himalayas. As well as covering some very hard climbs Martin also has a chapter covering his speed traverse of the Cuillin Ridge. The book successfully avoids being a manual, the best aspect for me was the way the stories of each climb are told took me there and let me live the climb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense, 12 Mar. 2015
Brian E. Downes (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
A really interesting and enjoyable book for anyone who is a hill-walker or climber. I have been working my way slowly through the book for a few weeks now. I echo the comments of another reviewer that the book is best read in short bursts; it never quite seized me to the point that I could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 24 April 2014
A compelling read, Moran evokes a real feel for the mountains , his morals and standards reflect a time gone by it is good to see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
Interesting insight into one of Scotland's foremost guides. Excellent pictures. Given it 4 stars as feel I would have liked to know a bit more of his life before becoming a mountain guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great mountain books, 21 Mar. 2014
Deep Reader - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
Martin Moran is a fully qualified mountain guide located in Wester Ross, in the Highlands of Scotland. Although this is one of the world's great mountain areas he has by no means restricted his activities to Scotland. He has guided in the Himalayas, Alps, Norway, and all over the world. The care he takes of his clients becomes obvious in the course of the book and, as I read, I felt more and more that, if I was to venture onto Higher Ground, it could be in no better or safer company. As with his earlier The Munros in Winter, this is a great read with two outstanding photo sections and a whole series of well drawn maps. It made me want to get out there again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
A great book for anyone interested in mountain climbing, ice climbing. etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
Arrive well on time and exactly as detailed in specification

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life (Paperback)
My husband couldn't put this book down!

Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life
Higher Ground: A Mountain Guide's Life by Martin Moran (Paperback - 20 Mar. 2014)