Format: PaperbackChange

on 21 October 2014
Absolutely loved it. Very entertaining and informative at the same time.
on 25 July 2013
What a simply wonderful first novel. Its funny, its sad but above all its a great read. I have to be honest I usually read a completely different type of book. But I read this on the recommendation of a friend, and I owe her a big "thank you". I was grateful for the Yiddish-English glossary included - it added to my enjoyment of the book by learning some new terms. Highly recommended for anyone that wants to peer into a different world (if like me you are non-Jewish). I bought it on Kindle but will buy the paper version as well as its one of those books that I want to leave at my holiday home. I rarely read a book twice but this one .... I will.
0Comment5 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2014
Interesting insight into a world that exists in modern day London but is largely invisible to most of us. It switches between the young, hopeful and slightly rebellious Chani and the older slightly disillusioned Rabbi's wife. Like all enclosed communities it is warm, loving and stifling. The characters are believable and draw you in and the ending is well done. I don't know if it is realistic but I assume so -the author appears to be trying to be both fair and realistic. An easy read but interesting.
on 7 August 2014
I loved this book, I found it both entertaining and thought provoking
on 26 February 2015
Good read and very informative about Jewish traditions and weddings.
on 5 November 2014
I knew there was a reason I don' apprendiate most Booker books....
on 21 July 2015
Good in parts but a disappointing ending-I.e. There wasn't one !
on 30 September 2015
Very interesting and enjoyable but a disappointing ending
on 3 August 2014
Subject matter very interesting. Book was a 'page turner'. However writing was not the best. The plot and dates were confusing and an unsatisfying ending as if the author had lost interest. The book needed some good editing. Having said this, the subject , which is fascinating to me, gave, what seemed to be real insights into the Golders Green orthodox life style.
on 25 November 2013
I lived for 30 years in North London, and drove through many of the streets and neighbourhoods which feature
in this novel. I was completely ignorant of the lives lived by the orthodox Jewish community even though I often saw the men and women in Golders Green and Hendon. This book lifted the veil, I found it absolutely fascinating. Recommend it most highly.