Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 March 2014
So many things that are wrong with our country are highlighted here by the state's intervention. Political parties beware - those comments you make about decentralisation might well be coming to haunt you! People take back control.
on 22 December 2013
This book should be compulsory reading for politicians on both sides of the house. It avoids political dogma and provides sound reasoning for a different approach to Britain's economic ills.
on 23 July 2014
Before you read any further, I ought to declare that my politics are to the left and so this may colour my review. All I can ask is that you keep an open mind, as I did, when I read the book.

This book is a fascinating read and, no doubt, there are compelling arguments put forward the argument that the current status quo is not sustainable and he sets out alternatives with fit the Libertarian way of thinking. Written in a clear, engaging style, Frisby explains the problems with and the limitations of the kind of crony capitalism that we are currently enduring where the few benefit at the expense of the many. Frisby has a gift for explaining complex ideas in a way that is absolutely compelling and fascinating. His explanation of currency systems - in particular the difference between the old 'gold standard' and the 'fiat' currencies - is crystal-clear and concise.

The main beliefs shared between Dominic Frisby and myself is the end goal of fairness, justice and equality of opportunity such that everyone benefits. However, where we differ is the route and the means to get there and my main criticism of the book is that he fails to take into account of the various types of human behaviour and how these are harnessed in a civilised society. He makes some big assumptions, like when he advocates the removal of the state from healthcare (bye bye NHS) and let people form mutualities in place of state-sponsored health care systems. He seems to think that this will happen almost by itself and that is one heck of an assumption to make - that people who have become so atomised over the last few decades will have the natural inclination to form bonds of mutual benefit, which I doubt. And in this new libertarian paradise, who will actually protect society from the formation of vested interests and predatory behaviour? He doesn't seem to have answers for these important questions and that is, ultimately, a disappointment.

A valuable book which I recommend and I hope that, one day, the author will perhaps address these important issues.
on 28 April 2015
Reading this book led me on to 3 months of investigating and questioning many of the ideas and principles that I had come to accept as normal. As a consequence, I've completely changed some of the views I had, and come to explore some great new ideas.
For anyone who has questions about our current economic and political systems, or would just like to learn more about them - read this brilliant book by Dominic Frisby.
The only reason I've given it 4*'s and not 5* is that a little more editing (of this edition) would have made the book even sharper.
on 11 March 2014
The most important book I have read in a long time. I've just bought five extra copies, and plan to force it on all I meet, in the manner of a Jehovah's Witness.
on 30 November 2015
Astonishing. Even if you're not likely to agree with this book it presents money, banking, education and healthcare in a new light. A book to make you think.
on 27 November 2013
Dominic Frisby is a comedian turned economist and in the best traditions of literature it takes a clown to tell some home truths. Life After the State sets out to offer an alternative view of economics in which individuals, families and communities look less to the state, take more responsibility for themselves and act more responsibly.

Well researched, the arguments are grounded in the empiricism of natural human behaviour and often counter intuitive data on how things worked before the state became so large. Frisby reminds us of some of the common sense of the prevailing worldview in Victorian times and of the need to trust the state less and ourselves more.

LATS is written with a light touch, good humour and generosity of spirit. It is easy to despair at greedy vested interests, suffocating indebtedness and crippling inefficiencies and yet as I read I was left feeling more optimistic... We can use our ingenuity and desire to live in a decent society, to do something positive and cheer each other up along the way.
on 20 January 2014
`Life after the State' seeks to remind us that the state breathes at our expense in a controversial, yet sober account of contemporary Britain. Unperturbed to explore discursive taboos, Dominic Frisby dares to unapologetically stray from conventional economic wisdom. He conveys the endemic nature of rent seeking, and the misperceptions that surround the responsibilities of government. `Life after the State' succeeds at making contemporary Libertarianism accessible in a thoroughly refreshing contribution to the field.
on 22 February 2014
this is a thought provoking book and I liked it as I agree with a lot of the sentiments the writer promotes, wish the politicians had to read it
on 23 March 2014
everyone should be forced by the government to read this book :)
but seriously though a truly belief changing read