5.0 out of 5 stars A book for our time, 26 Nov 2012
T. Carter (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can be Heroes: Punks, Poseurs, Peacocks and People of a Particular Persuasion (Hardcover)
REVIEWED BY Andrew James
Boy George uses one word on the back cover to sum up this book "brilliant" - that says it all - but I will expand!...
New York has its books like "No Wave Post-Punk Underground" and "Max's Kansas City" and now London has its "We Can be Heroes".
An amazing book of outstanding photography and brilliant text to document London Clubland between 1976 and 1984. Forwarded by Iconic figures that remain in the creative music scene to this day. If you have an interest in music, fashion and clubs then this is the book for you. It's a joy reading about the music the various clubs and the people who frequented them. It was a time of dressing up, never down, less is more never came into the equation. You dressed up, You made up and You partied! All with an air of style and individuality that's rare to see these days. As a published author myself I know the hard work that goes into producing a book so well done and thank you to Graham Smith and Chris Sullivan for creating this wonderful book.
We really did believe we could be heroes!
By Andrew James

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!!, 6 Dec 2012
Mr. G. J. Arnold (Rugeley) - See all my reviews
I obtained one of the 'first editions' hot off the press just prior to last Christmas, and can I say that it is an absolutely fantastic photographic chronology of one of the most exciting periods in British club culture. My only regret is that, living in a small midland market town at that time, I did not know of the existence of the places mentioned within the book. But the sheer perfection, yet 'grittiness' of Graham's photographs really does capture the spirit of 'being there'. Definite pride of place on my bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloomin' Brilliant!!!, 26 Nov 2012
This was bought for me as a gift and I absolutely love it!! Talk about walking down memory lane... every time I pick it up to flick through I discover something else - Bloomin' Brilliant!! Great photo's and clever writing have really captured the essence of the era - well done and thank you! :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book ON this subject., 24 Nov 2012
What can i say about this book,I got mine when it was first published through UNBOUND and was so happy to have it signed by Graham AND Chris.From the time you open it and read those first forwords from the likes of Gary Kemp, Robert Elms and co you just carn't put it down.Grahams photos take you on a journey back through time to when the youth wanted to make a statement through fashion , music or art in many cases the art being them selves.you get a real feel for the club life from the key players like Steve Strange,Boy George,Chris Sullivan and all the main poseurs of the scene.Get it and i garrantee you won't put it down until you've read it all,then you will keep going back to it.A must for anyone clubing during this period,or anyone to young but wanting some insperatoin to create for a new generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor sharp and dressed to impress! London club culture kickstarts the 80s!, 21 Nov 2012
A sublime volume about a fantastic time in youth and pop culture,uber creative and highly influential. compiled and created by the people who were THERE,a time of no internet,no facebook,no twitter, no iPhone....if you wanted it to happen you had to get creative. so much has been put out about the glam and punk periods but very little about this period of youth culture that was just as influential and iconic. packed with amazing photographs,storys and recollections of the time,i highly recommend it if you are interested in the post punk/new wave/early 80s club scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY informed book on late 70's early 80's London clubbing., 21 Nov 2012

This really is the ONLY informed book on late 70's early 80's London clubbing.

Graham Smiths pictures are sublime and Chris Sullivans words wise and witty.

The whole book is lovinly crafted and written from the heart.

It doesn't matter whether you were there or not, even if you simply have a vague interest in this facinating time you should buy it without hesitation!

Had my copy for 11 months now and still dipping in and out of it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars We Can Be Heroes, 21 Nov 2012
A truly fabulous record of a fascinating time in London's clubland. Loads of great pictures by graphic designer Graham Smith (who was responsible for some of the most recognisable graphics of the period) giving a real "insiders" view of this amazingly creative time. Chris Sullivan's text adds further insight. I bought this when it was first published by Unbound have really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 26 Nov 2012
The very opposite of an academic or anthropological voyeurs' look at a scene, this is a vibrantly photographed, passionately annotated insiders guide and tribute to one of the greatest ever eras of London clubbing. Like most of the other reviewers here, I lived through that era, and went to at least three quarters of the clubs featured, so I'd be quick to spot any misrepresentation. This book is a complete triumph, however, and heartfelt thanks are due to Graham Smith for taking the pictures in the first place, and for bothering to compile such a lovingly-packaged visual memoir to the fabulous London underground scene we had the good luck and privilege to experience - and create.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Nov 2012
I bought this book via Unbound and it's been on my coffee table ever since.
I only caught the tail end of this era, the energy captured in Graham's photos and Chris's words is addictive, please can someone get me a time machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - Buy it now !!!, 21 Nov 2012
Mr. Y. Papaioannou "Zorba" (Kingston upon Thames, UK) - See all my reviews
Utterly brilliant and accurate record of my youthful days spent in London's underground club culture. This book has the pictures to illustrate the text and the club night discographies to help access the sound-scape of the time. I highly recommend this finely detailed body of work to anyone who wants to know what it was like or for anyone who was there and cannot remember all the details (which is most of us I fear.