Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 February 2014
I've been a knitter since I was really quite small and so am very confident knitting, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the hang of crochet. More than one person tried to show me and I've been through a good few "how to" books and magazines too.
Whilst trying to find ideas for my Christmas list I came across this book. From the "look inside" it looked very simple and easy to follow - and believe me, I needed simple and easy to follow!
My mum gave this book to me for Christmas, and determined to learn, I took it away on holiday with me.
This book is indeed very clear. The pictures are nice and large and the book is explained in very easy terms. I couldn't get on with holding the wool or hook properly - I suspect I am too much of an entrenched knitter - but other than that managed everything the book said.
By the second day I had a nice square of double crochet. By the end of the third I'd made a somewhat poor attempt at a granny square (my family teased me mercilessly about it being a granny rhombus!). But my second granny square looked exactly like the real thing and I had it cracked.
Now, just over a month on and I've mad a complete cushion with 16 granny squares, crochet joins and crochet flowers. It looks as though someone who has been crocheting for years has made it (well, to me, anyway!). I'm now in the middle of a huge throw for our sofa and I'm also making a pokemon toy for my daughter. I'm obsessed with crochet.
I never thought I would be able to crochet and now I can, properly. My mum (who could sort of crochet but is really a knitter like me) has also bought this book and is now making amazing stuff too.
It is a simple book - there aren't a huge number of pages or patterns. But if you have been defeated by everything else and want to learn, you could do worse than give it a try.
55 comments|234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2013
I am a complete beginner, but even I managed to learn how to Crochet. Would thoroughly recommend this book to everyone
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2013
This book contributed to me being able to fathom the art of crochet. Since purchasing this I've been able to crochet several baby hats!
on 29 August 2013
Now this book I would definitely recommend to individuals who wish to learn to crochet, nice clear pictures English instructions [as against American]. A good first purchase to get you going.
on 2 December 2013
Bought this for my wife, who decided to take up crocheting. She found it fairly easy to follow, with good illustrations.
on 31 October 2013
For a complete beginner this is ideal. so far I've only done the first 2 stitches but this book is so easy to follow.
on 22 February 2014
I've been knitting for years and found crochet was the next thing to try. I tried learning from YouTube videos which helped only slightly. I found this book helpful because it actually explains clear and simple what to do and the pictures then become easy to understand. I would try this book for sure if you are learning.
on 18 September 2013
This is a great book for complete beginners. The instructions are clear and simple with good illustrations. Not overloaded with technical information but focuses on inspiring you to get on and crochet without having to plough through loads of unnecessary stuff. I am a seasoned crocheter and bought this book to use when I'm teaching others and I would recommend it highly. One of the best beginners' guides I've seen.
0Comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2014
As a total novice,this book is at my level. I have tried to learn to crochet via youtube video clips, but have found that having these very clear photographs and instructions much more helpful.
on 28 June 2015
I bought this book a few weeks ago to teach myself how to crochet. I wouldn't recommend this book for a beginner - it got me off to a completely false start. After trying to learn the basic stitches (with illustrations rather than photographs, which were difficult to follow) I had lots of questions about the stitches and what yarn to use that a few beginner tips would have helped with, but they weren't in this book.

It then gives you a list of projects to work through. The project pages were really light on information (little embellishments on the pictures, like a bow etc, were not explained in the text). The projects also varied greatly in yarn size with some odd choices of small hook sizes for the chunky projects that I think were errors, because when I tried them out it was clear I was going to run out of yarn before finishing the project to the right size. It's also a really thin book that goes into no detail or depth - there's no sense of how you'd progress beyond the basics. I felt really lost at sea with this book.

In the end my partner bought me the book Crochet by Katy Bevan to see if it would help to have a different book. It's much better. I'm getting on really well with it, in combination with how-to videos online. Since crochet stitches & hook sizes etc are called different things in the UK and the US, I'd recommend getting a UK book like the Bevan and cross-referencing it with all the great free American how-to videos online (google 'craftyminx crochet school', it's brilliant). Note: I can't comment on how good the patterns in the Bevan book are; I've just finished the stage of learning all the stitches & techniques properly now that I have the information I need.

I wish I'd started out with the Bevan book or similar (I think Crochet Step By Step by Harding and Crochet From Start To Finish by Hirst also look good, based on a quick flick through them). Two other things I wish I'd known to do a few weeks ago:

Instead of buying a big pack of cheap yarn that is difficult to crochet with, just get a ball or two of decent budget aran (in a pale colour so you can see your stitches). I got Sirdar Supersoft Aran, which is a cheap, usable 100% acrylic.

Instead of buying a big pack of cheap hooks, get a decent 5mm hook to work with your ball of aran yarn then sit and have a lovely time going through the book & videos. I was really surprised at the difference between hooks - I bought a pack of cheap ones but also a 5mm KnitPro Waves one and the difference is massive. The metal on the cheap ones somehow have much more friction than the decent ones, so the yarn clings to the hook and it makes it much more difficult & less pleasurable to crochet. Also, the handles are put together cheaply so they sort of creak in your hands. The KnitPro one glides really easily and feels solid.