on 27 October 2013
Touching, opinionated and insightful.
A great read and a real rags to riches tale.
I would imagine anybody with mining in the family will appreciate the true merits of Willie's tale.
I wonder how many would-be footballers could get signed by a top flight English team playing in second hand boots that were three sizes too small? Wow.
on 18 January 2014
An honest and thoughtful insight into the life of a true soccer legend. I found myself transported on a wave of nostalgia to the bygone days of my youth before mega wages and the diving culture so damaged football. Beautifully written and crafted, a must read for anyone with a passion for the game regardless of which team they support.
on 10 December 2013
I am not a fan of autobiographies but this was an exception to that rule. On the wing was a great insight into the world of football of my youth. An enjoyable read which let me into the world of Willie Morgan.
Great read, great player, great man.
on 1 December 2013
I have just read this terrific and fascinating biography from one of "the icons" and greatest footballers Britain has ever produced,Its an amazing insight into the clubs, managers and players of the day. Willie Morgan writes with direct honesty and truthfulness about his experiences with them and the amazing array of celebrity friends he has met over the years along the way through his love of both football and golf and the love for his supportive family.
There have been hard, testing, life changing times, Things are not always as they seem in the football world, as this book reveals and there are some hilarious moments he has shared with us. I dont know much about football, yet I read it with fascinating interest, this book is a MUST READ for football fans and biographical...
readers alike - I just could not put the book down.
on 22 August 2015
I enjoyed the sample first before I bought the book - was very touched by Willie's difficult start to life, being brought up by his Grandparents (who he thought were his parents) etc. It prompted me to buy the book and from there, I was a bit disappointed. Willie (and/or his ghost writer) aren't great with the pen or narrative, but he came out of the story as a better man than the one I had an impression of from the press.
on 23 July 2015
A pretty good read although Wille is not one to hide his light under a bushel and at times I was wondering if I had got the wrong player! Good player without a doubt, but one of the best in the world...?? Enjoyed reading some of the stories from his past and anyone who stood up to Bob Lord, the former Burnley chairman and a contemptable bully, deserves praise.
on 2 October 2014
I know willie and his family,we went to the same school.his cousin Bertie and I were good mates.what a great thrill it was for me reading his book.willie is a real good guy,and was a great football player I recommend this book to all football fans.
on 7 July 2014
This was a tale of an interesting life told warts and all. It gives an insight into the wonderful world of football as well as an honest look at the drker side. The story of a lad from humble beginnings who rose to the top. Well worth reading
on 2 October 2014
I knew willie from our school days,his half brother Bertie and I trained and ran together.willie was a nice easy going guy,a great football player and a credit to the game.this book is a must read for all football fans.
on 16 September 2015
I bought this book because Willie played for my team Burnley and I remember him from that time.
This book will appeal to both Burnley and Man utd fans alike but will also please the neutral fans as well.