5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Wisdom, Right on Time
JUST AS A DIAMOND is carefully cut and faceted to bring out the full luster and beauty of the gem, so I hope to do here with this review. For let us make no mistake about it, this book is a rare gem, and I suspect that it's just like an heirloom engagement ring: its light gathering powers will far outlast its owner, or in this case, its apparent creator.

THE...
Published on 11 Mar. 2012 by Fred Davis, Awakening Clarity Now

2.0 out of 5 stars MIND!!!!
This book is devastatingly intellectual. If you like graphs and diagrams and thinking your way to non-thought this book is for you. The book has a lot of different ideas and methods, so if you are seeking information and methods you will like it. The book is endowed with an elitist knowledge - nothing wrong with that if that is what you are into.
If you are looking...
Published 21 months ago by jonah whale

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Wisdom, Right on Time, 11 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Direct Path: A User Guide (Paperback)

THE DIRECT PATH: A USER'S GUIDE, Greg tells us, could be thought of as "the missing manual" for his other book, Standing as Awareness. We could think of these books as two pillars framing the gate to freedom that is the Direct Path. If you do your part, I assure you these teachings can and will do theirs.

SRI ATMANANDA KRISHNA MENON, the founder of the Direct Path, has told us very clearly: "Time is the generic form of thoughts; space is the generic form of objects." The sooner we come to truly understanding what he's saying there, be it through a passing glimpse, or abiding within it, the happier and freer we'll be. Awakening is by no means a personal event, but don't let that fool you into thinking the hosting body-mind doesn't benefit; it certainly does. Suffering is reduced in all who ever see their true nature, even if that seeing is apparently brief. Suffering is completely eliminated, I hear tell, in a smaller number of others. PERSONAL suffering, I can reliably state, will begin to fade as we close the gap between "what we see and what we be."

"THAT'S GREAT!" YOU MAY SAY. "But just how do I get there?" That's precisely what this book addresses. However, it's not so much moving the "I" over there, so to speak, as it is getting the "I" out of here! That, I would say, is the Direct Path's specialty, but some instruction and experimentation is in order. Buddha's holding up a single flower in what's known as his "Flower Sermon" may have been enough to free Mahakasyapa and kick off the field of Zen, but the rest of us are going to require a bit more detail! The Direct Path: A User Guide provides a great deal of detail, both instructional and experimental.

ALL OF US HAVE HEARD from time to time that "there's nothing to do and no one to do it." Seen from the absolute viewpoint--in other words, when we are standing as awareness--this is unequivocally true. And seen from the standpoint of a teaching strategy, it can be quite helpful for some people. It helped Greg. Yet let's be clear that no teaching, whether it's Greg Goode's, or anyone else's is either actually true, or fit for all ears. All teachings point, and they point to those who have ears for that teaching at that time. They can't even know who that is! Most teachers necessarily have to teach to groups for the simple sake of productivity. That's why I started this blog rather than talk one-on-one in my home. So, right from the get-go there is a devil's trade-off of efficacy for efficiency.

IF "NOTHING TO DO and no one to do it" works for you, that's great. I'm no detractor of anything that works. Yet if we look at the numbers, the nothing-to-do teaching, while being fundamentally true and occasionally effective, simply doesn't work very often. Of course the only question that matters here is, "Has it worked for you?" In my experience, the no-one-to-do-it revelation is most often something that's seen in reflection, in hindsight; it is something that is seen from the post-awaking position, and then misapplied to the pre-awakening position. And it just doesn't fly. I've talked over and over again about the hazards of trying to transfer insights from one apparent state to the other. It might be good to note that even reading this review is in itself a subtle sadhana. It's my sense, and my experience, that "doing nothing" is most often a decision by ego to simply go unconscious. It was for me, and that was within the apparent post-awakening state. It took heavy depression, and Adyashanti's The End of Your World to bring me back into clarity.

I'VE SAID ALL THAT to say this: the great majority of what is said or written about in Nonduality today is either theory-in-conversation (satsang), or pointers-for-practice (instruction on conventional inquiry or meditation). It is the nature of the human beast that it is able to overcome all of this initially great material once we have been exposed to it often enough. I saw the very same thing happen in recovery circles when I was getting sober. I'm not saying these teachings are wrong; they're most certainly not. I am saying that in a world that is overloaded with Nondual information, these tried and true methods are these days quite frequently not enough.

HOW DO WE KNOW THAT? It's obvious to all that a whole lot more people take up this path than successfully 'complete' it. The yardstick must always be awakening, and we are not yet being swarmed by folks who are either abiding, or reasonably stabilized in Nondual awareness. Part of the reason is that we don't necessarily become more awake the longer we stay on this path. To the contrary, we may well go deeper and deeper asleep within an attractive lifestyle choice, while all the while harboring the sure feeling of progressively "getting it". This new book of Greg's is a wonderful exception to all of this. In fact, let me just go ahead and say it:

THE DIRECT PATH: A USER'S GUIDE is for all those people who want to wake up badly enough that they're actually willing to do something about it themselves. Teachers are great, and they'll get you to the riverside, but if you don't jump in yourself you'll never actually get wet.

THE BOOK HAS 40 experiments in it to help you move down the path regardless of where you're starting from. Call them koans; call A User Guide itself a whole book of contemporary koans, not totally dissimilar to the Blue Cliff Record, or the Mumonkan. This is deep inquiry offered up for practice in easy, bite-size bits you can nibble at your own speed. Start at the beginning or start where it interests you and go from there. Approach them openly, do the work, and just like koans, allow the questions themselves to crack your shell. You can't do it. The experiments can, and you can do the experiments.

THE WHOLE THRUST of A User Guide is to get you to take action. When a thing is seen experientially, and not just theoretically, it affects the mind in a different way, and the myth of separation will begin to fade of its own accord, whether slowly or radically. You really cannot directly challenge your mind's view of I-you-world and expect change. The mind cannot transcend the mind. But you can use the mind as a tool to transcend the mind. That's exactly what this book does. It's hands-on, it's practical, and most importantly, it works!

FINALLY, let me mention that this would be a GREAT book for group study.

Fred Davis
Awakening Clarity

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly complete, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Direct Path: A User Guide (Paperback)
I cannot speak highly enough of this book. I have read many many books which have spiritual exercises in and never done them. This one though for some reason was different. It guides you very directly. The student though needs to be ready. They need enough curiosity, a completely open mind, and enough stillness to take the inquiry deep. It simply asks you to look at what is really there. I haven't yet found any aspect of my experience either subtle or gross which is not inquired into by this book. Whenever I was perplexed by something in myself I did not understand I was able to find an exercise pointing me deeper. It is actually a very accessible and easy to understand book if you have already developed the habit of looking into your consciousness perhaps with Buddhist skanhda, or emptiness meditations. Much easier than Nagarjuna or Prajnaparamita texts it has the same ability to reveal a kind of unspeakable satisfaction and joy. Written in simple, almost colloquial english at times, it retains the ability to be very profound. There is not a sniff of spiritual cliche or platitude in it anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A path to liberation, 16 Sept. 2013
Weedar (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Direct Path: A User Guide (Paperback)
If you read this book with an open and inquiring mind, and do the practices the author recommends, it will thoroughly and completely deconstruct delusions, concepts and ideas that are stumbling blocks to the full realization of the truth of experience. It will quite literally blow your mind: it will deconstruct the idea that you are mind that is dwelling in a body which is experiencing an objective world.

This is by far the most powerful book on non-duality that I have ever read. It is, however, not a warm and fuzzy book. It is not written to make you attain a constant feelgood state. It will not make you cry sentimental tears. If that is what you are looking for, this book is not it. While all feelgood states are nice, they are impermanent. Chasing them is a never ending cycle. True freedom lies in seeing that even when emotions we subsequently label pain arise, what we truly are is not affected by them at all.

The book is extremely intellectual, but ironically, it uses intellectual and experiential inquiry to rip apart the veracity of logic and empiricism, so that the reader may experience freedom from concepts and ideas and dwell in thusness.

If you are up to the task (and it is by no means an easy read), this book may very well be the last book on non-duality you need ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute clarity about what IS, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Direct Path (Kindle Edition)
I love this book. The way Greg has written this is so that the reader can systematically and sequentially undo misguided concepts of what Reality is, through direct experiencing via perceptual experiments. He is a Master of Direct Path teaching and deconstructs all incorrect ideas about who we really are. We see that we already 'Stand as Awarenes' as his previous amazingly clear and beautiful book, is entitled.I encourage all seekers of the Truth to but this book so seeking can come to its end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant practical guide to 'direct path' awareness contemplation, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Direct Path: A User Guide (Paperback)
This book is a great 'how-to' guide to the 'Direct Path' awareness teachings. Although my 'root' practice is Buddhist meditation, especially on'no-self', I was strongly drawn to exploring the Direct Path having seen an online interview with Greg. I couldn't describe the Direct Path approach anywhere near as well as Greg, so I will not say too much, other than that the reader is taken through a series of experiments exploring object-subject relationships and the nature of awareness. If you have an interest in non-duality, or Advaita, but have struggled to 'get it', this book could be very helpful. The book complements 'Standing as Awareness', by the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tough journey, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Direct Path: A User Guide (Paperback)
This is a great book but its not by any stretch of the imagination an easy read. Most books on non duality dont/cant tell you what to actually "DO" but this one does, experiments. However, those experiments and the discussion that follows are tough. Hard to do and hard to understand. So although this is a great book for some its not going to suit someone new to non duality (read Ekhard Tolle) or anyone who finds it difficult to grasp what are initially abstract concepts.

4.0 out of 5 stars very practical, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Direct Path (Kindle Edition)
very practical for those who still feel the need that there is something to practice and for maybe leading
to realise that there is no seperate individual in the first place. Hence , the heart opening meditation given before
each exercise. The word "god" is used in a few places, not one of my preferences I'm afraid, however, still better
than many books out there on the shelves which just end up creating ever more new religions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars -Updated to Four- Updated to Five, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Direct Path: A User Guide (Paperback)
Initially my review stated "Overly complicated and some of the exercise instructions seem difficult to follow"
I've updated this (again!) as subsequently (and increasingly!) I've found some of the seemingly complex insights/exercises very useful adjuncts to more simple pointing. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best non-duality books out there!, 29 April 2015
This review is from: The Direct Path (Kindle Edition)
I am actually in the middle of the book at the moment, therefore can only comment on what I have read so far. Really good non-duality book, with pointers and exercises which get to the core of deconstructing the false 'me'.

2.0 out of 5 stars MIND!!!!, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Direct Path (Kindle Edition)
If you are looking for truth told very simply I would not recommend this book.

The Direct Path: A User Guide
The Direct Path: A User Guide by Greg Goode (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2012)