5.0 out of 5 stars Book of British \Food
This is a very comprehensive and interesting book covering a wide range of information regarding foods of many types. It will occupy a place in my bookshelf for a long time.
Published 23 months ago by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars Book of British food
Published 18 months ago by sarah campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of British \Food, 22 May 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Book of British food, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: Book of British Food (Good Housekeeping) (Hardcover)
Being an expat, I was really looking forward to this book, and to re-discover some old favorites. The regional food sources was very interesting, different areas had their own version of the same recipe. This has made me want to explore more the regional food differences of the uk. The recipes are well written and easy to follow. My only real complaint was that most, if not all, the recipes had been featured in the good housekeeping magazine over the years. Had I realized this, I probably would not have bought the book as I have subscribed to this little bit of home for over 30 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book of British Food (published 2012), 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Book of British Food (Good Housekeeping) (Hardcover)
When my grandma was alive, she cooked the most wonderful traditional food, especially the deserts. My favourite was lemon curd, which she also used to make lemon tarts. After pestering her for a recipe, she pointed to a tatty old cook book on a shelf in the kitchen. The book was the 1947 reprint of "Good Housekeeping's Book of Good Recipes" (a title first published in 1945). The recipe in the book was listed as "Lemon Cheese". The Book of British Food lacks a recipe for lemon curd/lemon cheese. I'm sad to report that a number of old favourites are missing, however, this new book is marvellous when you consider that it can be bought new for just 6 (RRP 25) and contains over 200 recipes that have stood the test of time.

The book is a handy size (for a man's hands) and, though quite weighty, is not too heavy. The textured cloth binding is good quality, but smooth wipeable plastic would have been more suitable; the glossy pages are of good quality too, with honest photographs (not "sexed up"). There is a photograph for each recipe, which I can imagine my efforts could resemble. In this day and age, I was a little surprised to find a number if kidney recipes and one for stuffed heart; I would rather have had more cake/biscuit/pudding recipes instead. Liver & onions ...does anyone really need a recipe to do that? The font size could be a bit bigger; it looks like size 8, or there abouts. Generally, there is one recipe per page, with the photo on the same page; occasionally there are two recipes per page with photo's. I do wonder if the photo's could have been cropped to accommodate a larger font size, or another recipe, but it is easy to make such comments and extremely hard to suggest how this book could have been better presented.

As a person that prefers traditional English food, easy-to find ingredients and clear and concise recipes, as opposed to pages of glossy pictures, this book beats any cook book by a celebrity TV Chef. The 1947 version lacked pictures and any introduction to speak of, but was packed with practical tips and advice. This new book is about A4 size (the 1947 book was about A5 size - which I consider to be a much more practical size), has 62 pages before the recipes start and uses a whole page for the title of each "chapter"/section, with its opposite page taken up by a picture. No doubt this adds a fair amount of bulk and weight. I would rather have just had more recipes instead. The early pages are full of interesting background information about various regions and their history and produce, with interesting tips on selection when buying. Metric and imperial measures are provided for each recipe. Both ingredients and method are clear and concise and easy to follow. Although there are tips throughout the book, there appear to be fewer than in the 1947 book. When I got the book, it took me a while to find the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie recipe advertised on the rear cover; it is in the book as "Raised Pork Pie". I was glad to report that favourites such as Spotted Dick and Bread-and-Butter Pudding are provided. I was surprised that an illustration showing where the various meat cuts come from on a beast is not provided. That would have been useful along with a bit of advice on the pros and cons of using a particular cut. Fewer superfluous end of chapter illustrations and more information would have been better I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars British Food Cookbook, 4 Aug 2012
R. G. Nickerson "Race Fan" (McComb, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Book of British Food (Good Housekeeping) (Hardcover)
THE GOODHOUSINGKEEPING-- Book of British Food is one of the mosre infomrative collection of UK recipes in print. Great illustrations and even more inticing recipes.
This recipe book will long be the standard for other books along with the GOODHOUSINGKEEPING Cookery Book: The Cook's Classic companion. Two "must haves"
in any kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to British cuisine, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Book of British Food (Good Housekeeping) (Hardcover)
We just recently moved to the UK and of course heard all about the bad food in this country. So far we have been positively surprised when going out to pubs and restaurants. My husband gave me this book for Mother's Day because I wanted to cook some typical British food. I have cooked 6 dishes from this book so far and my family (including my 20 months old son) liked them all. I just ordered another one for my friend in the States as a gift.

ARRAY(0xa476fdc8)

Book of British Food (Good Housekeeping)
Book of British Food (Good Housekeeping) by Good Housekeeping Institute (Hardcover - 27 Feb 2012)
18.80