Format: HardcoverChange

on 6 February 2013
This book is beautifully presented both in content and even the look and feel of the cover. Although I have been knitting professionally for years there are still tips and methods with which I am unfamiliar and how wonderful it is to have it all in this lovely book. As the title suggests, the masterclasses and patterns are reprinted from The Knitter and it is great to have them all in one place. Perhaps not for the total novice but then I suspect it was written with the more experienced in mind. This is a big plus as so many technical books start with the absolute basics, which is great if you are a beginner - but thank goodness this doesn't. It would make a wonderful present for any keen knitter and even contains some lovely patterns to try out your newly learned skills.Knitting Masterclass: with Over 20 Technical Workshops and 15 Beautiful Patterns
on 13 January 2013
This is a very detailed book which gives detailed instruction on very advanced knitting techniques. Although I have been a knitter for many years I have not heard of some of the technique described and illustrated. More suitable for a competent knitter than a beginner.
on 31 May 2013
What a joy. I couldn't wait to make something so tried the socks at chapter 12. I've knitted lots many years ago when we didnt have the internet to help provide tips on advanced skills and only to intermediate level and i love challenges. This pattern attempts to show how to create a seamless toe using a technique they call "Judy's Magic Cast On" but fails pretty abysmally to show clear steps enough to learn the technique from the book. Luckily an Internet search found me a video on on Youtube so I followed that.
A page that made me smile was an item about 'combination knitting'. There are two photos there. The first purports to be of 'eastern knitting' and the second 'western knitting'. Eastern, the book says, is supposed to produce a thicker fabric. So I study the photo which I could swear was a photo of somebody creating a Knit stitch. The 'western' photo showed what looked like the purl side of the same piece. Maybe I'll go look that up on YouTube too.
Generally though, the book is exciting, but I wished it gave more patterns as some of the photos show lovely stuff that's only there to show techniques. I'm hoping those techniques are more clearly explained when I come around to needing to learn them.
Be prepared to spend much money on some of the items. I really wanted to make up their double sided scarf until calculating that the specified materials would cost well over £100 to make.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 February 2013
Both the techniques and the projects in this beautiful book are for experienced knitters. There are other books where the masterclass info can be found but what makes this book special is the projects that feature the techniques in each masterclass.
There are thirteen masterclasses each with at least one project illustrating the technique.
The masterclasses are choosing and substituting yarns, casting on & off, different styles of knitting, cables, liberating lace, Fair Isle techniques, shaping & fit, steeking, slip stitch colour work, reversible knits, stripes in the round, Kitchener stitich and creating curves. These masterclasses were originally published in the Knitter magazine but its useful to have them in one place and in such a well presented book. I've only given it 4 stars as the title says 'over 20 tecnhical workshops' but there are only 13 chapters and 14 projects.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2013
OK, so at the outset, let's be honest - I don't know my slip stitch from my cable needle, and the only stockings I care about aren't knitted ones (!) nuff said? BUT I do know about books (I mean the real physical things) and the amount of work that goes into them by authors, editors, layout designers, printers, publishers and all - and this is a real beauty! It really does scream quality - the cover is great to hold, and the illustrations and layout are simply fantastic - and if you can knit too (which I obviously can't) then with a book like this, you would surely be in heaven!

OK - so why (I hear you ask) if you can't knit, are you writing this - you great pudding? Good question! Truth is she-who-must-be-obeyed is an absolute champion whizzo knitter and it was her copy that I picked up for a casual flick through and was so impressed (and said so). "OK" says she, "if you like it so much, YOU write the review" - and so, dear reader, I did! Like the nice little meerkat used to say "simples!"

With regard to the knitting knowledge side of things, which I'm going to guess is of far more interest to a potential purchaser than my ramblings, I am reliably informed by herself that it is pretty amazing on that front too - though she does echo the first reviewer's comments that it's probably not one for beginners. But then, I suppose, 'master classes' rarely are.

A lovely book, and would grace any coffee table, or knitting bag too, I suppose. So if your lady loves her knitting - buy it for her! It'll make a great pressie (and maximum brownie points for you too!)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2013
I really love this book. It is a really useful guide to all the techniques you need to make professional looking garments. From lace to chunky, scarves to intricate lace, this book has it all.
on 29 March 2014
In a commercial world full of 'How to' books aimed at beginners this is a much needed book for experienced knitters.
So much helpful information. I'm knitting a lace shawl now and it's so nice to have a 'masterclass' on easy methods of correcting errors a few rows down without opening complete rows. Opening rows in lace knitting is not a pleasant occupation!
Other chapters on 'Steeking' - I've aways been too scared to try it. 'Slip stich colourwork' - interesting effects. 'Stripes in the round' - without the awful step. Etc. etc.
It would have been 5 stars except for one thing. The size of the book should have been bigger by about 50% - making the pages bigger. The print chosen is very small - even with glasses I have difficulty reading the patterns. And, of course, this affects the charts making them near impossible to see each very small symbol.
on 13 March 2013
This is a lovely book with lots of useful information for knitters who have moved on from the basics. I particularly like the features on fixing mistakes. The photographs are clear and the instructions are easy to follow. I just wish there was more of it, maybe a second volume...?
on 8 January 2014
Love the content, and as other reviewers have pointed out, this is the book you want if you are planning on taking your knitting 'to the next level'. Two quibbles
- Wow, the print is really small! Like hard to concentrate on in certain lighting small.
- I would LOVE an ebook version of this.

That's it. Otherwise a great book
on 31 August 2014
If you love knitting you'll love this book. All the master classes give very clear instructions and help remind all us knitters of some of the techniques we've attempted but probably don't know off by heart. Very good reference book. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners but it's certainly worth having if you've caught the knitting bug