4.0 out of 5 stars Fearsome Fairytale
Reckless was a lovely read. It's a brilliant adventure with characters that are complex but easy to understand.
Published on 4 Nov 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but characters let it down
Published on 5 April 2011 by eiran

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fearsome Fairytale, 4 Nov 2010
This review is from: Reckless (Hardcover)
Jacob's father disappears when he is a teenager and it's not long before Jacob follows his father's footsteps into an alternate world. What he discovers is a frightening land of fairies, goyle and other deadly beings, which he makes his home. Only rarely does he return to see his mother and younger brother; prefering to face physical pain and harrowing adventures, rather than feel the pain of his mother's unhappiness and his brother's soft-hearted fears.

All would have been well if his brother, Will, hadn't followed him through the mirror that is the portal to the land of fairytales. Suddenly Jacob has to take on the responsibility of an older brother again, if he fails his brother in this world it will mean the end of Will.

Clara is Will's girlfriend and she loves him enough to try and save him too...doesn't she? Because her love and Jacob's bonds will be tested, leaving Will's fate in their hands.

Before Clara and Will joined them, Fox had Jacob all to herself. She's his trusty companion and has remained by his side ever since he saved her life. Fox is both the most passionate character and yet also the most sensible, she's so selfless that my heart went out to her. It often felt like she embodied the saying "nice guys finish last". Though this wasn't always the case.

The story has an interesting end - I didn't see it coming - and there's room for the author to write a follow up book, which I'd gladly read :)

4 out of 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anya's review of 'Reckless' by Cornelia Funke, 18 Oct 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Reckless (Hardcover)
I had the pleasure of meeting Cornelia Funke in person at a talk she gave about Reckless and even got my copy of the book signed!

Reckless is different to her other books because it's got a lot more fantasy in it. Reckless has dwarves, goyls and even fairies whereas most of her other books only have a little or even no fantasy at all - except for Dragon Rider which had a lot. I think this is because she worked with Lionel Wigram, film director of Harry Potter, on Reckless. This is the first time Cornelia has worked in partnership with someone and in my opinion it was really successful. Cornelia explained to us that this was quite a complicated process as first they would discuss it and then Cornelia would write in German, but Lionel didn't speak any German so Oliver Latsch had to translate it first, before Lionel could read it.

Reckless is about a boy, called Jacob, who finds a mirror in his late father's study, but this mirror is no ordinary mirror. It leads to another world. One day his little brother follows him in and that is when the trouble begins...

I highly recommend this book and rate it five stars. It's a real page-turner - I just couldn't put it down! My favourite character is Jacob because he is brave and caring towards his little brother but I found all the characters well developed. I think Reckless is aimed at children aged 10+ which is a bit older than usual for Cornelia's books. Also I think anyone who likes Harry Potter will like this. I think this book has a great sense of adventure and I hope you love it as much as I do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reckless - Cornelia Funke, 5 April 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Reckless (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story is about two brothers, Jacob and Will Reckless. Their father John Reckless goes missing when they are young and Jacob subsequently discovers a strange mirror in his Father's study which leads to an alternate mirror world. The second chapter opens up with both Jacob and Will in the mirror world however we find out during the course of the story that up until that point Jacob had managed to keep this secret for many years from his brother and has had many adventures over the years (procuring certain magical items for the Empress and himself) although those tales are not gone into in too much detail.

Will has been scratched by a creature called a Goyl which are human in feature but their skin is as hard as stone. The Goyl and humans of the mirror world are at war. The Goyl are led by their King Kami'en and the humans are led by their Empress Therese of Austry (the Dwarves stick to themselves and trade with both!). The Dark Fairy who is in love with the Goyl King has created a curse that means once scratched by a Goyl, the person scratched starts to have their skin turn to stone until eventually they end up as a Man-Goyl. There is no known cure once scratched and Jacob feels responsible for his brother following him into the mirror world and subsequently sets out to find a cure.

Two of the other main characters in the story from the beginning are called Fox and Clara. Fox is Jacobs companion in the mirror world who has saved his life many a time in their adventures together and Clara is Will's girlfriend. Fox is a human girl from the mirror world who after having once saved a fox was presented with a gift from them of a red dress that when worn enables the wearer to change into a Fox which she prefers to stay as rather than her human self. The four of them embark on a journey to try and find a cure for Will but are racing against time as the longer the Will goes without a cure the faster the Goyl stone spreads.

Without giving the story away any further and possibly spoiling it for anyone the rest of the book features to name just a few, Dwarves, Fairy's, Witches Gingerbread houses, The Tailor, Unicorns and Lorelei (evil mermaid type creatures).
I did find it hard to get into the story line at first but after the first few chapters the adventure and more of the main story line and back histories kick in. The book is split into short chapters which help make the separation between the scenes clearer and is a really good idea as the book tries to squash so much in. I quite liked this book and Cornelia has left it so that it could be a one off book or could probably go into a series as the ending does leave a question mark there. I believe the story has already been sold to be made into a film which is one of the reasons I picked it to read as Cornelia has already had her InkHeart book made into one which I have seen and really liked. I would love to see this played out on the big screen and if the film makers set their minds to it they could really do some fantastic visual effects. Overall I liked the book and would recommend it to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but characters let it down, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Reckless (Hardcover)
The Grimm's fairy tale world in which the story is set is very rich and textured, giving the stories back their eery tone and removing any Disney-style frivolity. It is an excellent setting for a story, one you can submerge yourself in completely. I loved the description of the Sleeping Beauty who was never awoken and though she never ages her skin as turned yellow from being left there so long, and Funke cleverly works a lot of these familiar plot devices and backgrounds into her own character's story.

The plot, too, does not seem lacking: the brother who will turn into a monster if they cannot help in time - his brother's girlfriend whom he develops feelings for - the world at war - and a greedy old dwarf!

But it is the characters which prevent the novel becoming un-put-downable. I never seemed to get really close to them, even Jacob - whose mind the narrative enters the most - does not seem to have many features distinguishing him from any other hero on a mission. Will seems a stereotypical quiet, sensitive younger brother, and his girlfriend Clara, was almost annoyingly passive. The narrative enters her head for a couple of chapters in the first half of the novel yet completely neglects to show us any glimpse of her feelings at the end of the story, which means we have no idea how she feels about Jacob and Will, as the narrative does little to reveal this either. Fox was probably the most interesting of the characters, and I would have loved to find out more about her, but again this was denied the reader!

After the Prologue - which tells us how Jacob stumbles upon the Mirror-World and describes the relationship between the two brothers as children - we are dropped into the middle of the action, where Will is already contaminated by the Goyl and they are trying to save him. I can see the benefits of this, I mean aren't we readers always complaining about how long it can take to get into a book which starts of slowly? Yet I think this just added to the problem of character development; I mean I didn't know Will yet so how could I truly care about what happened to him? It seemed like I was trying to care about the character more than the text allowed me to. This probably would have been fine if in another couple of chapters there had been a display, an event, big or small, or even just a conversation that revealed something about Will's personality, about who he really was - where I could think `Wow! That's Will.' Then I'd have a reason to care. But still all I can tell you about the younger brother is that he is nice (*shudder*), kind, quiet and sensitive - and turning into a monster of course - but, hey, maybe he'd be more interesting that way.

The ending was quite disappointing. I don't want to give anything away but one problem is solved very, very quickly - and there is no reason given for why the person who helps acts in this way. Will and Clara disappear very quickly; there's very little emotion conveyed at all. It is, however, the first in a series, and of course, Funke doesn't want to give in all away at once - but even so, I was left unsatisfied, like the book was incomplete somehow. Writing a series myself, I do realise how hard it is to make a book seem complete without giving everything away, and so far I have definitely not been more successful than Funke - however, the frustration I felt with the conclusion of `Reckless' has prompted me to do some MASSIVE rewrites!

There were some really nice passages of prose, for example the description of the Chamber of Miracles, but the very fact that these stood out shows that a lot of the writing was simply average. I do wonder how much of that was due to the translation, and how much we have lost in tone and effect from the German. I did notice that this was a different translation that The `Inkworld' Trilogy, in which I found the language much more rich and rewarding.

Despite all this, the book is an enjoyable read, it's just not one of the ones you put on your `Favourite Books' shelf of your bookcase. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series, as I'm assuming the characters carry on developing - but I kind of wish I'd waited until the whole series had come out and read them as one long book as I think it would have been more satisfying that way. Its strengths were definitely in dept world building, as the world was almost as rich as the Inkworld, and plot. It is easy and enjoyable reading, and if you are already a Cornelia Funke fan you'll definitely enjoy it, as long as you don't compare it to the Inkworld - and if you haven't read Funke before then go read `Inkheart'! Go on - Shoo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Faery Tales that really Rock, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Reckless (Paperback)
Don't be fooled - these are not fluffy disney-esque fairy tales - Cornelia brings the dark side of witches eating children and all those scary bits that thrilled us as kids bang up to date. Although it took me a chapter or so to get into her breathless style, Jacob is a hero worthy of every effort. She plunges you unto a dark uber-culture peopled with charismatic characters and teases you with virtually impossible situations that Jacob's wit, courage and daring turn into a stroll in the park. Can't get enough of this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Letdown, 19 April 2011
S. Caughie "scaughie" (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Reckless (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I expected to like this book, as I think Cornelia Funke is an excellent writer. I think I was also expecting something of the caliber of 'Inkheart', which this frankly isn't. In fact, I did something with 'Reckless' that I almost never do: gave up half way through. I just couldn't engage witht he story on any level, which is a shame because the presmise and themes are interesting (alternate world accessed through a mirror, troubled sibling relationships, ticking bomb in the form of a curse)but somehow they never become any more than that. The characters and their struggles were wispy, half-drawn, just too thin to care about. Likewise the 'love story', which left me completely cold, (and which, incidentally, plays a far smaller role in the story than the blurb and taglines suggest.)

I think part of the problem is that the characters are actually adults, not girls and boys as the back cover suggests. This makes them hard for the intended audience to relate to, but the problem is bigger than that. Because they are adults, the story picks up long after the main character has discovered the world beyond the mirror. This is a huge mistake, as a major element of successful books in this genre is escapism and wish-fulfillment for the reader. Here, though, the reader loses out on the excitement and adventure of discovering the new world with the main character. Likewise the romance, and even the mystery about the brothers' missing father: we hear about all of it, but don't experience any of it, so it's hard to care. Classic case of show, don't tell.

I think the other issue is that the publishers are clearly trying to market this book as a teen supernatural romance, which, quite bluntly, it isn't. And that's unfortunate - it might generate a few sales, but I very much doubt that young readers will be coming back for more. That's a shame, as they'll miss out on Funke's other, better books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Reckless (Kindle Edition)
I was so into this book, from the first page I could not put it down. Cornelia is a great writer and I've read a lot of her books can't wait to get stuck into the sequel x

5.0 out of 5 stars Reckless - by Cornelia Funke, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Reckless (Paperback)
This is a great book - it took me about 3 chapters to get into it and then I couldn't put it down!! I really enjoyed this book - I think it is aimed at older teenagers - I am an adult and loved it. I have purchased the sequel "Fearless" and have already devoured 11 chapters!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars review of book, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Reckless (Paperback)
This is a good read. it took me at least a week to read it. It was well worth the money I paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Reckless (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It is in the same vein as Inkheart, so if you liked that you should enjoy this. Interesting story line. I have ordered the sequel. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Reckless
Reckless by Cornelia Funke (Paperback - 7 Jan 2013)