Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 17 December 2004
I originally picked up this book with low hopes for it being a brilliant book. I thought that the plot would be extremely obvious but as I read it (it took me about a day or two) it surprised me. A truely fantastic book. The main characters in Inkheart are all book lovers and lets just say that the plot esculates from there. Strangers and gangsters turn up in the story but where do they come from and what is their story? And why will Maggie's father, Mo, never read to her? What happened to Maggie's mother?
A type of magic is involved in this book. A power that perhaps every single book lover would love to have. I know that a big part of me would!! I found the plot very gripping. Book lovers should adore this book because I thought that it was brilliant!!
on 19 April 2014
I was really hopeful when I picked up this book. I had heard lots of good things about the story and knew that there was a film adaptation too. But, quite frankly, I was really disappointed with what ‘Inkheart’ had to offer.

Let me get this clear: the concept of the story is truly magical with the idea that Mo can bring characters out of books if he reads them aloud. This is great and the references to other works of fiction throughout the story really brought a smile to my face. Also, at the start of each chapter there is a short extract/quote from a children’s story and I really felt transported into the world of fiction. Coupled with the fact that the main characters are all book worms, I could really relate to their enthusiasm about looking after books.

So on paper, this should have been a perfect book, but quite honestly it just didn’t deliver. There was a lot of talking about what to do and not really much action. The plot development was predictable to the end and when I had figured out a solution, found myself wanting the plot to move on. Indeed, my mind often wandered when reading this and though I did read other books alongside this one, still found this quite tedious.

After all of the hype surrounding this book, ‘Inkheart’ certainly did not meet my expectations. As teenage fiction goes, I certainly think there are far better books out there to be read. This is part of a trilogy and whilst I did not like this book very much, am considering giving the next book my attention to see if the series improves.
on 4 December 2009
Inkheart Trilogy is a must read! The minute I opened the book, I could not stop turning the pages. The story is gripping, the adventure flies at high pace and the characters are very endearing.
Cornelia Funke shows that she has a great deal of imagination and keep surprising the reader chapter after chapter with unexpected twists and turns.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves good story telling and who have a great imagination!
VINE VOICEon 18 November 2008
This novel reminded me of when I was a child, and I once said to my father that I'd really love to spend the night alone in a Library, being fascinated by books. When asked why, I'd replied by telling him that I believed that all the characters from all the stories came alive during the night and I wanted to see and to meet some of them. I was delighted at the prospect, until that is, my father quite sensibly pointed out by replying there would be many bad and evil characters amongst the good too - and of course he was right!

This is a long book, (over 500 pages!) and I'd be surprised at many very young people reaching the end of it. The story starts off very interesting, but as one or two other Reviewers have said; it does get a bit 'slow' in parts. However, all the characters are vivid, and I was particularly drawn to the character 'Ellinor' - perhaps because she wasn't too 'sugary sweet' and overly sentimental - at least not until much later on in the story where along with a couple of the other characters, she gets a bit of a personality 'make-over'.

I was rather surprised in reading in the cover that this is to be a major film - I personally did not feel that this was movie material - but then I'm not into the Harry Potter movies and that kind of stuff.

This is the first part of a trilogy I believe, and although I did enjoy the book, I'm not sure I would read the next instalment.
on 31 January 2009
After seeing the film last year at the cinema, I was interested to see wht the book was like, since it's good to know the source material from fantasy films, as it helps answer questions you might have (and alot of the time, the book is far better, to me, anyway!).

It's an easy to get into, quickly-absorbing read, which explains why a slow reader like myself finished the 544 pages, 59 chapter book in under two weeks!

Each chapter is headed with extracts from classics from the genre, which somewhat link into what the chapter will be like. It would be a good idea, if you haven't to read some of these books, to read a few - one of my fave fantasy novels, The Neverending Story had an extract from. There's also small black and white drawings at the end of chapters as well that relate to it's tone.

The characters of Mo, Meggie and Elinor (our three protagonists) were likeably written and seemed real and the main concept of Silvertongues was an exciting and potentially good idea. It's not just a kid's book as it has elements of emotional pain which older readers should be able to appreciate.

It's problems are: it's repetitive plotting, no real insight on what happens when a book's character when he/she leaves their story, how a Silvertongue gets their ability and I'd have liked to know more of what to know more of what Inkheart in the book, that they were all fighting over, was about (maybe more extracts?). Also, nothing really left me in awe, like great books do.

Overall, the chapters are fairly short, it's entertaining and enjoyable and a good read, if not a stand-out classic of it's book-within-a-book fantasy genre. I believed the main concept too, which isn't an easy feat for something fictional.
on 25 March 2006
Most magical story that pulls you into the plot and catches your imagination like no other. Great translation (not often that the original is as good as the translation), catching ideas and beautiful scenes. Once you finish it, you will straight away want to continue with the second book of this trilogy.
on 30 January 2006
This book is an amazing read.The story takes you into another world , where you feel totally involved in every aspect.I felt as though i had known the characters all my life, and that as i was reading they were literally standing by my side, so vivid were the descriptions.
I particularly loved the mysteries throughout the story and how these were maintained throughout- sheer genius at the art of gripping the reader.My fav character is Dustfinger.
Once you start this book, make sure you have plenty of free wont be able to stop reading till the end.
I cant recommend it highly enough, brilliant, wonderful, fantastic...a classic of childrens literature.
on 9 March 2009
I saw Cornelia Funke on stage at the Bath literary festival and her enthusiasm was infectious. They projected a video of the movie trailer and I was very impressed (having not yet read the book). In a very unusual move, I watched the movie before I read the book, not wanting to miss it on the cinema. I thought the film was very good, but not great. However, I still purchased and read the book and I have to say that in my opinion the screenplay was much, much better than the book. At approaching six hundred pages it was far too long for the limited complexity of the plot and I felt like the characters spent most of their (and my) time locked up on a hillside at Capricorn's pleasure. You could quite easily hack two hundred pages out of this manuscript to make it as tight as the movie.

The characters were good; I liked the complexity of Dustfinger (although I didn't actually like him personally!) and Mo wasn't the gung-ho hero that you may expect to come in and save the day. However, I thought the plotline concerning that which Mo has lost and is seeking (not to give too much away) was very poorly handled, with a slow dawning realisation to those concerned instead of a "wham-bam this is the truth!" moment. Very disappointing. I also thought that the end scene lacked impact and heart-pounding excitement, although I will concede that some of this is because I'd already seen the film and knew what was to happen.

All in all, it was well written in the most part but overly long and drawn out and I would not be surprised if many children gave up before the end. Again - in my opinion.
on 23 June 2009
As the first part of a trilogy I really wanted to like this book, thinking, 'three whole books of reading pleasure - hooray!' However I found it turgid, over-long and the main characters incredibly passive. All they seemed to do was get threatened, get locked up, and weep. Aargh!
It gets three stars because Funke can write, it's a wonderful idea and its fictional world was very well realised. But it PLODS along until the last third.
I know it's a children's book but Harry Potter, virtually all of Diana Wynne Jones's oeuvre and Neil Gaiman's children's books are aimed at the same age group and they're all breathlessly exciting and wildly clever.
I had to fight to keep going, and have to say I won't buy the next two parts.
on 8 December 2005
My daughter (aged 12) gave me her Inkheart to read, when I had ran out of library books. I thought it would tide me over until I got to the library. How wrong I was ! I couldn't put it down. It was wonderful - not a dull moment to be had. I am now ordering number 2 "for my daughter" !