4.0 out of 5 stars The story within the story
Published on 17 Dec 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Cornelia Flunked
I was attracted by the cover as I'm sure I'm not in the age group this is aimed at, but I like to lose myself in a fantasy novel now and again.

Published on 10 July 2009 by Soo Broo

4.0 out of 5 stars The story within the story, 17 Dec 2004
By A Customer
I originally picked up this book with low hopes for it being a brilliant book. I thought that the plot would be extremely obvious but as I read it (it took me about a day or two) it surprised me. A truely fantastic book. The main characters in Inkheart are all book lovers and lets just say that the plot esculates from there. Strangers and gangsters turn up in the story but where do they come from and what is their story? And why will Maggie's father, Mo, never read to her? What happened to Maggie's mother?
A type of magic is involved in this book. A power that perhaps every single book lover would love to have. I know that a big part of me would!! I found the plot very gripping. Book lovers should adore this book because I thought that it was brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly brilliant!, 24 Aug 2004
This review is from: Inkheart (Hardcover)
I read this book after my mum read it and said it was a must read. The story is amazing though sometimes I found it was a tiny bit predictable at times. I felt all the characters feelings and struggles,especially Moe's effort to read aloud agian.As long as you can get over the size this is a must read and if you have any 11+ children warn them they may be the next to read it!Really adored it and I am praying there's a sequal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story telling, gripping adventure! A must read!, 4 Dec 2009
Inkheart Trilogy is a must read! The minute I opened the book, I could not stop turning the pages. The story is gripping, the adventure flies at high pace and the characters are very endearing.
Cornelia Funke shows that she has a great deal of imagination and keep surprising the reader chapter after chapter with unexpected twists and turns.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves good story telling and who have a great imagination!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cornelia Flunked, 10 July 2009
Soo Broo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

However, I felt it was a little like wading through treacle. The idea is lovely that you can read things to life, and the build up of the story in the first stages and developing the characters was really well done, but then it just felt like ploughing through the middle section just to get through it - it didn't hold my interest and I wasn't really bothered whether I finished it or not (I did, to see if it got better, but it didn't). It's also fairly dark which may put some younger readers off. I understand this was published in German first, so translation may have altered some of the writing, but it didn't inspire me to read the rest of the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars is not enough, 25 Mar 2006
Most magical story that pulls you into the plot and catches your imagination like no other. Great translation (not often that the original is as good as the translation), catching ideas and beautiful scenes. Once you finish it, you will straight away want to continue with the second book of this trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I have Ever read., 30 Jan 2006
Rhiannon (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inkheart (Hardcover)
This book is an amazing read.The story takes you into another world , where you feel totally involved in every aspect.I felt as though i had known the characters all my life, and that as i was reading they were literally standing by my side, so vivid were the descriptions.
I particularly loved the mysteries throughout the story and how these were maintained throughout- sheer genius at the art of gripping the reader.My fav character is Dustfinger.
Once you start this book, make sure you have plenty of free time..you wont be able to stop reading till the end.
I cant recommend it highly enough, brilliant, wonderful, fantastic...a classic of childrens literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unstoppable reading, 8 Dec 2005
By A Customer
My daughter (aged 12) gave me her Inkheart to read, when I had ran out of library books. I thought it would tide me over until I got to the library. How wrong I was ! I couldn't put it down. It was wonderful - not a dull moment to be had. I am now ordering number 2 "for my daughter" !

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as the screenplay, 9 Mar 2009
Lee Hodges (England) - See all my reviews
I saw Cornelia Funke on stage at the Bath literary festival and her enthusiasm was infectious. They projected a video of the movie trailer and I was very impressed (having not yet read the book). In a very unusual move, I watched the movie before I read the book, not wanting to miss it on the cinema. I thought the film was very good, but not great. However, I still purchased and read the book and I have to say that in my opinion the screenplay was much, much better than the book. At approaching six hundred pages it was far too long for the limited complexity of the plot and I felt like the characters spent most of their (and my) time locked up on a hillside at Capricorn's pleasure. You could quite easily hack two hundred pages out of this manuscript to make it as tight as the movie.

The characters were good; I liked the complexity of Dustfinger (although I didn't actually like him personally!) and Mo wasn't the gung-ho hero that you may expect to come in and save the day. However, I thought the plotline concerning that which Mo has lost and is seeking (not to give too much away) was very poorly handled, with a slow dawning realisation to those concerned instead of a "wham-bam this is the truth!" moment. Very disappointing. I also thought that the end scene lacked impact and heart-pounding excitement, although I will concede that some of this is because I'd already seen the film and knew what was to happen.

All in all, it was well written in the most part but overly long and drawn out and I would not be surprised if many children gave up before the end. Again - in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inkheart, 25 Aug 2005
By A Customer
Inkheart is about a girl called Meggie who finds a stranger knocking at her door in the middle of the night, one day. Her Dad, Mo seems to know this strange man from long ago, and they bring a warning with causes them to flee to an aunt Meggie has never heard of. The story carrys on from here with a secret and a very important book, dangerous traps and feirce enemies. This book is well worth reading, and you'll soon find you can't put it down! The first in a trilogy, soon to be followed by Inkspell, well worth reading. I can't wait to read the second book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inkheart, 30 Dec 2004
This review is from: Inkheart (Hardcover)
This book is beautiful! The only problem I have with it is that it had to end! Meggie is the sort of girl that younger readers can relate to and the way the other characters are described from their looks to their habits is so inventive and original that you end up feeling like you have met a whole host of new people by the end of the book. The story line is far fetched but fantastic, being set in modern day, but using characters from another place creates a charasmatic combination! So in short if you are eleven years or plus i recommend you read this book!

Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy)
Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy) by Cornelia Funke (Paperback - 4 Aug 2011)
5.59