5.0 out of 5 stars A joy
Published 1 month ago by JDM

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT MY READ
not a book that I would normally read.
Many areas where I lost the plot and found it confusing and irrelevant
Published 11 months ago by malcolm

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy, 2 Nov 2014
JDM (Gloucester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Drive (Kindle Edition)
I have never read a book so enjoyable as this. As a young guy in my mid twenties I felt I was really able to feel where the protagonist is coming from in this novel. It is superbly written and very funny, and it is also empathetic to what can really hurt us as human beings. Trevor, the subject of the book, goes on a road trip of self discovery, healing, of sexual re-gratification (he can't get it up) and of adventure; an doing this under the overbearing yoke of certainty that he is not very good at the entire road trip business. It's and adolescent tantrum that escalates to an epic with more trials than he should have been able to handle, but we are still routing for him nonetheless. The book is, as I have said, empathetic to what really hurts us as people: for instance, Trevor has gone on his journey to see a friend in San Francisco since his girlfriend cheated on him - and that is it - his girlfriend cheated on him. It would seem so trivial and common to hear that kind of story but sometimes we forget how devastating that can be to us and the people around us - or - we don't let it be as devastating as it feels it is because cheating is so common, and thus we miss out on some glorious emotional wreckage. So I felt for Trevor, and I was glad to let him have his tantrum because it is something I think many feel they need to have, and yet cant. To call a broken relationship a devastation is admittedly a very first-world problem and it pails in comparison to the struggles of others, but as westerners it's a pain that still exists and this book is filled with enough adolescence and young stupidity to warrant his a pain being the sole reason for this trip.

Overall you know my verdict. I have read classics and modern marvels, and The Drive - though admittedly quite boringly titled - is the funniest and most enjoyable book I have read yet. I am sometimes called - and rightly so - a boring or miserable sod, and up until now I have never had a book make me do so much more than chuckle at its humour, but this piece really took me by surprise. I was laughing whilst filled with gratitude that a novel like this was able to do that for me. It addressed an issue that had affected me but that I didn't ever think was novel worthy, and it still had me feeling proud of the main character for going through and dealing with everything he did. A superb new novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A daring, funny, provocative and moving 'road novel', 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Drive, The (Paperback)
This is a fine novel that details a 'coming-of-age' car journey down the West Coast of Canada and the U.S. that involves all kinds of adventures, epiphanies, comic set-pieces and moments of pathos. On the surface it's a picaresque ride through North America - from urban sprawl to small town to the desert wilderness in the company of a reckless young man trying to escape from the memories of a failed relationship. There are wild moments of drunken, stoned exuberance, violence, crime and absurdity that invite inevitable comparisons with 'On the Road' and 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' but, for me, 'The Drive', like so much of Keevil's work, ends up radically dismantling the conventional masculine codes of being and behaviour that those earlier texts arguably take for granted. Keevil is concerned with such discourses of machismo and the last third of the novel, without giving too much away, provides a genuinely transgressive deconstruction of gender and sexuality. A rare visceral and intellectual experience that is also enormous fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Drive: Experience a full on and zany adventure without the travel fatigue, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Drive, The (Paperback)
This is a page turning blast of a read that was seemingly over much too quickly! I relished the slick and vibrant prose that enabled me to traverse the landscape of this character driven action. Each diverse section reflects the scope and integrity of Canadian/North American identity; its random encounters, from misgivings eased with luck and vice to affirmation of loneliness and familiarity - all in a fictional fortnight. What a fantastic trip it was too. Genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars and the Easy Rider movie, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Drive (Kindle Edition)
Who would have thought that a modern young writer would produce a new, fresh on-the-road novel to thrill fans of the earlier greats, such a Kerouac. Clearly influenced by Kerouac, and the Easy Rider movie, The Drive is nevertheless a complete original of a personal journey mirrored by the great road *trip*. As a fan of the road-novel genre I thought it couldn't be done so well again. Keevil makes it work with a writing style that feels easy and friendly to get along with, taking the reader into some of the deepest darkest places on the planet, and inside ourselves. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Drive (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed, would highly recommend. Each small chapter reads as a story in it's own right - a style that makes the novel difficult to put down.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT MY READ, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Drive (Kindle Edition)
not a book that I would normally read.
Many areas where I lost the plot and found it confusing and irrelevant

Drive, The
Drive, The by Tyler Keevil (Paperback - 15 Aug 2013)