5.0 out of 5 stars If you love new Who, you'll love this, 30 April 2013
Excellent in depth reviews of Who episodes that are not afraid to be critical while still loving the show. Great for nit pickers everywhere. I am waiting for the book of Matt Smiths third season. Recommend to Who fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great concept for an analysis, 25 Oct 2013
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I got a lot out of the equivalent book analysing Matt Smith's first series as it helped prepare me for the second series. Reading this now in October 2013 in the run up to the 50th anniversary gives a different perspective as there has been a third series and we know Matt Smith is about to leave. The format of these books is very interesting - with one author reviewing the episode immediately after its original broadcast and the other doing so after the season has ended; this offers different perspectives given that Moffat's era more than any other relies on season-extending story arcs and so one's perception can change considerably by the end of the season. All that said, I must admit I don't really share the authors' enthusiasm for this kind of story arc; while I appreciate the artistic and creative effort, I am far from sure it works for much of the TV audience, and it doesn't really work for me. I found the whole River Song/death of the Doctor arc confusing and rather off-putting to watch at the time, and still pretty confusing when I watched the DVDs later. If it had been in a novel or series of novels where one can perhaps read more reflectively than one can really watch, I am sure I would have appreciated the concepts and their execution a lot more. This guide did help me to understand some of the plots more clearly than I had before. But my favourite stories of the season were still the ones not reliant, or less reliant, on the story arc. 5/5 for the concept of these guides though, I hope there will be one covering Matt Smith's third and final series, plus the forthcoming special

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor 11, 4 Feb 2013
I am a huge fan of wanting to know how things are made/produced in the world of TV and the background of programmes connected to my favourite shows. This keeps me well informed.