5.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet
Every year around this time I prepare for the annual jaunt to France with a re-read of Clochemerle, probably my favourite book of all time. I am continually searching for a new French book that reaches the perceptive and comic heights of that novel. I may have found a contender. Admittedly much shorter than Chevallier's work, and not as overtly humerous this book does...
Published 20 months ago by Big Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars - an enjoyable quick read
Daniel Mercier finds himself alone in Paris whilst his wife and son are away. On the spur of the moment he decides to visit a brasserie. Whilst eating President Mitterrand sits down at the table next to him. As Mitterrand leaves the restaurant, he leaves behind his black Homburg hat. On the spur of the moment Daniel keeps the hat for himself. As he begins to wear the hat...
Published 1 month ago by Janet Emson

‹ Previous | 18 9 1015 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming Tale, 28 Aug 2013
I enjoyed this charming and touching story. Style had great pace and likeable characters. Recommend as a holiday or weekend read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The hat, 22 Aug 2013
A different story. It took a while for me to become absorbed, but once there I simply read until it was finished. The mixture of characters. Likely interest going

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming tale, 20 Aug 2013
This is quite original and charming. Strongly recommended for a holiday read, this is the kind of story which leaves you thinking. Also, it is a happy story with a mixture of fairy tale charm and human interest. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a refreshing read, 19 Aug 2013
I was hooked on this lovely little tale from the first page. A simple, but deep, story of a hat and the effect it has on the people who 'own' it. A cheery little book that made me smile. I give it 5* because it was a 99p Kindle deal that quite took me by surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars an entertaining read, 19 Aug 2013
this book was recommended to me and I loved the concept of following the hat's progress through different people and the perceived influence on their life's choices

4.0 out of 5 stars Delighfully quirky, 18 Aug 2013
Light-hearted look at how a piece of clothing (namely the hat) can take on such significance as to give the wearer confidence to change the course of their life. The various stories overlapped and made it an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 17 Aug 2013
What a truly brilliant read this book is, I was hooked from page one until the very last page. Yes and I also wish that I'd had a President 's Hat of my own. This book is the stuff that dreams are made off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, enchanting story, 16 Aug 2013
This is a little gem of a book. I bought the Kindle edition as a daily offer and was thrilled to discover what a lovely book it is. The characterisations are brilliant, you really care about the people. It is whimsical and romantic its true, but that is its charm, not its downfall. It has just enough plot to carry you along and I was sad when the book ended. Made me feel better about the world!!

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est magnifique, 16 Aug 2013
What a perfect little book this is - a story of a lost hat, and its effect on those who wear it for a short time. Very well written, the characters and their individual problems are well drawn and they come to life quickly. Light but not insubstantial, and while comical, there is perhaps a serious point that from time to time, we all need a president's hat.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read and so enjoyable, 26 July 2013
I loved this book and would love a hat like this in my life. I loved the way it moved onto different lives and then all tied up together at the end. Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1015 | Next ›

The President's Hat
The President's Hat by Louise Rogers Lalaurie (Paperback - 28 Mar 2013)