5.0 out of 5 stars The first true narrative?
Published 7 months ago by Mark L. Palmer

1.0 out of 5 stars jeff buckley
talk about sour grapes!! I thought gary lucas was supposed to be jeff buckley's friend. this book will not endear him to jeff's legions of fans.
Published 4 months ago by carole jeffery

5.0 out of 5 stars The first true narrative?, 28 Dec 2013
Mark L. Palmer "The Drifter" (Stonehenge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Touched by Grace: My Time with Jeff Buckley (Paperback)
This read as the first "true" narrative of Jeff, how he strove to develop his own songwriting craft, the crucial and central role that Gary played in this, the pressures of the industry he seemingly courted and the intolerable pressures he seemed to be under when he eventually and tragically put himself in harm's way. It must be so difficult for Gary not to feel resentful that his that his role in Jeff's art has been marginalised by an industry that promotes the "next big thing" and this book is an honest assessment of his views of this industry. It left me wondering what might have transpired if Jeff had followed up his request for some more music from Gary into a full blown musical "reconciliation" as from all I have heard Jeff was sorely in need of this sort of true friend in his last time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Lucas's book is full of honesty and heart,, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Touched by Grace: My Time with Jeff Buckley (Paperback)
It was, as I expected, terribly difficult to put down. I was deeply impressed and in full admiration of the honesty that courses through the book. I felt for Gary, rooted for him and begun to understand more about his time with Jeff. Gary is one of the good guys swimming in a pool of sharks, a rare and much needed quality in the music biz. I felt for Jeff too. I don't think he fully understood the monster until it right up in front of him. Lee Underwood had a few things to say regarding Jeff in his book about Tim Buckley 'Blue Melody' and a similar point about Jeff's lack of songs came across. I first heard Grace before I ever heard Tim Buckley, but I came to love Tim more simply because there were 9 albums to lose myself in. The other lovely thing about Gary's book was being able to envision him as The Guitarist and his role as musician being a wide and beautiful thing. I'm very glad I got to see him live at the Liverpool Philharmonic rooms in 2012. Treated to hear one of the greats up and close. He opens the door to this bitter sweet past. I know it must have cost him emotionally to do it. I am just a well read fan and I wasn't there and I am not truly qualified to comment, but I think I have a good picture and its down to the honesty in this book about his time with Jeff, and Lee's book about Tim Buckley, both which tell a heart story and aren't just Rock Bio's. Gary was so lucky to meet Jeff, and Jeff was so lucky to Gary.
It was SO refreshing. What comes across are real human beings and not music biz facsimiles or projected images. For me the personal and the true are the attractive qualities in the artists I admire.
5 stars because its a book with HEART.

1.0 out of 5 stars jeff buckley, 26 Mar 2014

Touched by Grace: My Time with Jeff Buckley
Touched by Grace: My Time with Jeff Buckley by Gary Lucas (Paperback - 16 Oct 2013)
10.47