Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 June 2007
This was a compulsive escape when I needed one! More twists and turns in the plot than a maze of country lanes, and I don't know whether Lesley Cookman's on the payroll of the Kent Tourist Board, but if not she should be! Deft, evocative descriptions that never once get in the way of the action -a waft of that lovely, English-seasidy smell took me right back. Long weekend looking for Coastguard Cottage etc. now high on the list. As for Libby and mates, it's not often you find such an instantly likeable set of characters. Long may they sup their bevvies together while Libby ferrets out more dastardly Kentish murders.
on 8 June 2007
The second Libby Sarjeant mystery and it's just as good if not better than the first. Fun to read, involving, great characters and a puzzle that keeps you wondering until the v. end. I particularly love the way the setting and characters come to life, they're not just pawns to move the mystery along.
Libby Sarjeant's friend Fran Castle hears of the death of her long estranged Aunt Eleanor's death. When she visits The Laurels nursing home where her aunt died Fran gets some very disturbing impressions. Fran has learned to trust her psychic impressions and they are reinforced when she meets her relations who seem unaffected by Aunt Eleanor's death and reluctant to answer her questions.

Fran and Libby are soon on the trail and their instincts are confirmed when it proves that Eleanor was murdered. Can they work out who the murderer is when the police seem puzzled. I listened to the audio book version of this book and for me the audio versions work better than the books. The characters are interesting and the book well plotted . This is an interesting series and will appeal to anyone who likes cosy mysteries with a touch of the supernatural.
on 2 June 2007
Once again I found that I couldn't put lesley's new book down I wanted to find out what happened next. Lesley makes her characters come to life.There is always a twist just when you thought that you had solved it.

I can't wait for November and the next book.
on 9 February 2012
This was the first time I'd read a Lesley Cookman novel, so it may not be one of her best but I wasn't very impressed. The pace is unbelievably slow and frequent re-capping appeared to assume I have an insultingly miniscule attention-span. The characters seem 2-D & stereotypical and I couldn't really get an image of any of them in my head. I didn't like any of them much either, and to be honest I kept hoping a crazed gunman would pop up and blend them all with their nice middle-class surroundings; though Sidney the Cat would be worth saving. In my humble opinion you'd be much better off with Simon Brett's Fethering Mysteries, he does this sort of thing so much better.
on 29 July 2012
I very much like Lesley Cookman's style of writing and intend to read all the books in the series.However, the proof reading of this one leaves much to be desired. In parts there are words left out that leave sentences not making sense and there are phrases repeated in the text where they shouldn't be. This tended to take the joy out of reading for me.
on 2 July 2016
Getting hooked now. This was my second in the series and I'm already reading the third. Nicely drawn characters you care about, interesting plot, well written and easy to read. This isn't War and Peace (thank goodness!) but is a nice relaxing read that has got me reading for pleasure again.
on 4 March 2016
I rather like these books a bit similar to mid summer murders crossed with miss marple good story line with a few chuckles here and there I shall certainly read some more of Lesley Cookmans ( this is the second one) books a very good satisfying read.
on 4 October 2013
Off to a rather slow start although the adventures of Auntie's will are amusing.nevertheless it is an entertaining read and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The relationship between Libby and Fran is interesting and grows throughout the book.
on 17 August 2015
Full of mysteries to solve, and the same collection of colourful characters from the first book, I really enjoyed this. If the next one is as good, the long term plan is to read all of the others in the series.