Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

4.7 out of 5 stars1,169

on 27 June 2013
Being new to this Diabetic confusion, this book is such a help and its pictures are clear, Plate/dish sizes are given for you to compare with your own crockery and portion sizes you serve. there are different coloured 'boxes' around the main food plate stating the Carbo'e, protein, fat, sugar etc. content of the food you're looking at. I'm amazed at the number of foods shown, and although the book can't possibly show every available food, you will find a 'near' equivalent to complete your search. I wouldn't want to be without it now and would readily recommend it not only to people suffering from Diabetes, but to friends and family of Diabetics who have to do the meal planning, shopping, cooking and serving of the finished meal, as this must be so difficult to understand what their Diabetic sufferer can eat and without gaining weight, as calorie counting eventually has to come into it. Having recently been diagnosed myself, a gentleman diabetic of 15 years said he still didn't know what he was doing!! So be patient, it's not some thing we can rush, but already this book has made life a lot easier. Go get it! [Just one point - being an American publication there are a lot of foreign meals included, but we really do need more popular English meals]Now,whatever type of food I buy, [whether packets of biscuits, ready
meals etc]I look for the nutritional table on the back of the packet, etc., so that mainly takes care of the 'American' problem.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2013
This is a brilliant book,whether you are a diabetic,or just wanting to eat healthily.If you are counting the calories,then this is the book for you,as it does all the hard work for you.You can even get a pocket size version,which is useful, for eating out.If I'm planning what to eat,for example,an evening meal,I just get my book out,and check how much carbs,and fat ect,may be in that meal,and if it is telling me,that the meal,has lots of carbs,and fat,I just look through,and choose something else,that is low in the carbs and fat.I have just lost 21lbs with this book,and because it shows you how much carbs,fat,and sat fat is in a portion,I have thought,gosh,I am going to eat that amount,i'l e the smaller portion now.I have always had a big appetite!!,but his book has changed my eating habits,for the better,I now eat like a normal person,and I'm not always hungry now,as my stomach has shrunk so much.I can't praise this book,high enough!!
on 18 November 2013
This is a superb book for diabetics counting carbs. Would recommend to anyone who wants to count carbs etc. or even if they don't
on 16 March 2014
I do not know why no one has produced anything like this before. YOu appreciate better the portion size you are allowed and it is quite comprehensive in all the various foods that it covers.

A must for any diabetic and/or slimmer.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This book was recommended to me by the dietician at the diabetes clinic that I attend. When she first showed me the copy that she had I was quite prepared to be shocked by the price as most informative publications seem to command high price tags, this was not the case with this book though and I was very happy to only have to pay £10 for it.

This is a high quality publication with full colour photo's showing a huge variety of foods in various portion sizes and concise, well written text. From the photo's you can make judgements on how many carbs, calories or how much protein or fat you are consuming every time you eat. As well as the photographic aids this book contains a wealth of information about healthy eating, nutrition, weight loss/gain, types of foods and diabetes. It does not delve too deeply into any of these subjects but provides enough information for you to be able to make informed decisions.

Physically, this book is not too big to carry with you if you intend eating out although there is a smaller 'pocket' edition available or you can even purchase the app. from the app. store. I have only just started using the book (and the app.) but I can see that it will be getting plenty of use in the future as I doubt that I could ever memorise enough of the information to merit going without it.
on 3 July 2015
I was diagnosed type II diabetic in December 2014 and was told about the book at a Living with Diabetes course I went on arranged by my GP practice, so purchased one. While it has some text the most useful way the photographs are displayed show you what a balanced plate should look like and how easy it is to overindulge. It can't make you control portions but it is a good traffic light to what is a healthy balanced diet and what is overstepping the mark. I have used the book to radically alter my intake of certain foods. My cholesterol level dropped from 4.2 to 1.8, blood pressure has gone from 135/86 to 109/74 and I have taken nearly 6 inches off my waist size which equates to 49lbs weight loss between January and the end of June 2015 and my Hb1Ac in January was 118 in April had dropped to 71 so it still needs work. The book can't make you eat "differently" I was going to say LESS but I don't eat less in terms of bulk but as I said earlier I have made a radical change to my food intake. I still enjoy lots of my favourites and have made sacrifices by cutting out things that I know I would binge on if I got a sniff of them and that is difficult. For what it costs and what you could gain from it as a diabetic or someone with a weight problem that is not diabetic I feel it is good value for money. One word of caution though don't make it your food bible as you may be in danger of becoming a food NERD or even worse a food BORE
on 16 May 2014
my family are all revolved around our health service and we thought we had a reasonable diet. I was recommended this book by the dietetics service (I do have 2 medical conditions which have made it really difficult) and this book it now my food bible! I really believe that this should be taught in our education system!!!!!! it would solve a lot of problems. whilst it doesn't focus on th vitamins and minerals it does show you a selection of portion sizes on different size dishes and provides you with the nutritional value. just by using this book alone to track the carb and cal intake in the last 4 months (without any extra exercise) I have lost over a stone. - it might not sound like much but it truly has made a huge difference. I don't actually have a bad word to say about it. definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to manage their weight.
on 15 January 2014
This book is wonderful! I use it to gain a bit of weight and it was so fun to look at all the pictures and discover how many calories each item has. Also it stated a lot more info than that and it is overall a great help! I like the colour, the text is written in an informative and clear way and overall the design is really nice. I recommend buying this book if you want to lose weight, or to keep healthy or if you want to gain weight, like me. It was quite a revelation to see how many calories an egg has and how few a tomato has, for example, all this made me realise how to eat foods that I enjoy but also that can help me gain weight easier.
on 17 April 2014
I bought this book for 2 reasons. The first reason was because my partner is a type 1 diabetic who was having a lot of hypos, so I wanted to make sure he was getting a good enough carb intake. This helped him too, as the book shows photographs of the portion sizes, which shows exactly what a certain weight of something looks like and how much carb, protein and calories etc are in that portion. This would be a great book for dieters and bodybuilders too.
The second reason I bought this is because I am going to be starting a dietetics course and I know I will be using this book a lot. Overall, this is an excellent book and I recommend it
on 16 August 2013
This book shows clearly and in an idiot-proof way the amount of carbs, calories, protein, fat, fibre and saturated fat in thousands of foods and meals we eat daily.
The pictures are clearly labelled, weights for the food is shown and it also includes drinks. Its helped me as a diabetic to balance my carb intake, choose wisely what I eat and put my mind at rest with how much I am eating. My husband also uses the guide to help him up his intake of carbs when he is running marathons.
Its clear, useful and full of good advice. Recommended by my diabetic specialist, its been used daily since I got it!