5.0 out of 5 stars This is such a GREAT HELP.
Published 21 months ago by Melody

3.0 out of 5 stars Change of view
At first I thought this was brilliant showing comparative portions with carbohydrate, calorie and other counters that are important but after an initial interest I have not looked at it again. Much of it is common sense, but it doesn't list all foods and it would be useful if the counts were given per 100g. The book is bulky so its use is basically limited to the home...
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This is such a GREAT HELP., 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Carbs & Cals: Count your Carbs & Calories with over 1,700 Food & Drink Photos! (Paperback)
Being new to this Diabetic confusion, this book is such a help and its pictures are clear, Plate/dish sizes are given for you to compare with your own crockery and portion sizes you serve. there are different coloured 'boxes' around the main food plate stating the Carbo'e, protein, fat, sugar etc. content of the food you're looking at. I'm amazed at the number of foods shown, and although the book can't possibly show every available food, you will find a 'near' equivalent to complete your search. I wouldn't want to be without it now and would readily recommend it not only to people suffering from Diabetes, but to friends and family of Diabetics who have to do the meal planning, shopping, cooking and serving of the finished meal, as this must be so difficult to understand what their Diabetic sufferer can eat and without gaining weight, as calorie counting eventually has to come into it. Having recently been diagnosed myself, a gentleman diabetic of 15 years said he still didn't know what he was doing!! So be patient, it's not some thing we can rush, but already this book has made life a lot easier. Go get it! [Just one point - being an American publication there are a lot of foreign meals included, but we really do need more popular English meals]Now,whatever type of food I buy, [whether packets of biscuits, ready
meals etc]I look for the nutritional table on the back of the packet, etc., so that mainly takes care of the 'American' problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for diabetics, 18 Nov. 2013
This is a superb book for diabetics counting carbs. Would recommend to anyone who wants to count carbs etc. or even if they don't

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 23 Jan. 2014
ray cooke (North-east England) - See all my reviews
my wife is a diabetic who receives her Insulin 24hrs a day through and insulin-pump with her testing machine being radio paired with her pump. When she is having something to eat this book makes it easy to work out the amount of Carbs in the food and enter the amount in the remote which then sends the information to the pump. She hides the pump in her bra so no digging it out again to key in the carbs as she did before the remote and this, paired with her pump, gives her the extra insulin she needs in a more exact way thanks to this book
It is perfect for any diabetic type 1 or 2 judge the carbohydrates they are ingesting and keep the sugar level down to a better level. My wife has improved 25% which gives you the value of the book. I am a diet only (with medication) and she now judges my carbs as well. I don't get quite as much of the stuff that I like but I feel better and less worried then I was before. It is invaluable so try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 5 Dec. 2013
Ms A Moore (Howden,East yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This is a brilliant book,whether you are a diabetic,or just wanting to eat healthily.If you are counting the calories,then this is the book for you,as it does all the hard work for you.You can even get a pocket size version,which is useful, for eating out.If I'm planning what to eat,for example,an evening meal,I just get my book out,and check how much carbs,and fat ect,may be in that meal,and if it is telling me,that the meal,has lots of carbs,and fat,I just look through,and choose something else,that is low in the carbs and fat.I have just lost 21lbs with this book,and because it shows you how much carbs,fat,and sat fat is in a portion,I have thought,gosh,I am going to eat that amount,i'l e the smaller portion now.I have always had a big appetite!!,but his book has changed my eating habits,for the better,I now eat like a normal person,and I'm not always hungry now,as my stomach has shrunk so much.I can't praise this book,high enough!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Mar. 2014
I do not know why no one has produced anything like this before. YOu appreciate better the portion size you are allowed and it is quite comprehensive in all the various foods that it covers.

A must for any diabetic and/or slimmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 16 May 2014
my family are all revolved around our health service and we thought we had a reasonable diet. I was recommended this book by the dietetics service (I do have 2 medical conditions which have made it really difficult) and this book it now my food bible! I really believe that this should be taught in our education system!!!!!! it would solve a lot of problems. whilst it doesn't focus on th vitamins and minerals it does show you a selection of portion sizes on different size dishes and provides you with the nutritional value. just by using this book alone to track the carb and cal intake in the last 4 months (without any extra exercise) I have lost over a stone. - it might not sound like much but it truly has made a huge difference. I don't actually have a bad word to say about it. definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to manage their weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guidance on how not to spoil that special diet., 9 Sept. 2013
Carbs & Cals is simple to use and provides pictures and weights, together with values for each item. I have been amazed at the variety of food included and have found the book so helpful. A little patience is required initially for weighing each item and the pictures then help later to provide a visual assessment to aid portion control. It becomes obvious that some 'favourite treats' are so high in certain values and, with willpower, should be avoided on a special diet (mine at the present time is carb-counting with my doctor's guidance, ie, keeping carbohydrates below a specified level). It makes one realize how much 'good food' can be enjoyed with portion control and how sneaking one treat' can spoil the whole day's count. This little book is invaluable and simplifies the planning in advance of healthy meals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but missing a trick for 5 stars!, 19 Sept. 2013
C. Halloran (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
Having moved from medication to insulin as a type 2 diabetic I was looking for some help in identifying good versus bad foods. At a basic level this book is excellent. The pictures showing portion sizes is so much better than the normal "per 100gm" breakdown. How big is 100gm of any given food? This book will help identify just how much you are eating and allow carb/calorie counting with ease!

Now for the missed trick (IMHO). The intro to the book is a good read, mentioning low GI foods and those other foods we've heard of that are so much better for us diabetics. BUT not a single indication in all the rest of the book as to the GI of the food item displayed!!! It would be SO useful to have an additional tag with a GI rating!!! Another detail that could be considered to add would be to flag the so-called "super foods" with a symbol of some kind (Blueberries being an example).
I do not think a specific GI rating would be needed, maybe a simple "traffic light" to quickly help food selection?

Without this additional detail this book falls just short of being an ideal single source of dietary information for diabetics! Back to the 'net!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diabetic? get this book, 18 July 2013
I Was recommended this by my diabetic nurse, To be honest I did not want to pay that much for a book I would may be
look at a few times then it will be added to all my cook books.
But no Iv given it a real god read and used it to plan my meals.
What hit me first was it so well laid out and very clear, next was some thing I have been trying to get my Brian to understand is counting the value of food? two years later, I buy Carbs & Cals, go on line and do a few searches just to look a few things up that I was not shire off well did not understand really.
Then like A bolt of lightning it all fell into place and Im using the book for every meal and Iv been told so many time to cut down my portions, and I did but looking at thing book seeing foods by portion on a plat made me see just how large a meal I was eating.
I now look at every photo and see how much food is on the plat and what portion that is.
Iv cut down my portions, I see the numbers add up to what I need to eat day to day, what I need?
Not the amount I think I need to eat or want to eat because I like the look and like it and want to eat loads.
Its that old saying I will believe it when I'v seen it, thats this books greatness seeing the truth of how much you over eat, that you dont need to do.
It slowly will let you plain you new eating habits, you set how much you want to loose a week, you pick the foods you need to make your plain work for you.
You still need to want to loose weight.
I know this is not the best review, But this really is a great book.
And if your diabetic like me and need help to keep your numbers down or up need to see and know how much your eating is affecting you then get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars help lose kilos, 16 Mar. 2014
Help me lose 5 kilos already show what to cut out to lose more hope to ne down to my target

Carbs & Cals: Count your Carbs & Calories with over 1,700 Food & Drink Photos!