5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Novel
In The Generation Game Sophie Duffy creates characters so real that long after I finished reading I could imagine them, in Devon, going about their lives. This beautiful and skillfully written novel takes us on the journey of Phillipa's life, her heartaches, her courage and her triumphs. The seemingly ordinary people around her do extraordinary things, their hearts and...
Published 24 months ago by Liz Ringrose

3.0 out of 5 stars A good romantic story
The story was good, but I didn't like the style of writing. It jumps about from the present day to previous decades all the way through the book. It is the life story of a woman from birth to motherhood, with one or two surprises on the way and a lovely twist near the end.
Published 6 months ago by Reading lover

5.0 out of 5 stars The Generation Game, 20 April 2012
This story by Sophie Duffy was nicely crafted and so wonderfully british. I relived those times, the smells, the sweets, the excitement at new things, the clothes and the attitudes. Thank you to Sophie for taking me back and giving me a good yarn at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice to read you, to read you nice...., 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Generation Game (Paperback)
Ok I've given this a naff title, but there are so many cultural references in this, it's hard to resist.

As I was born around the same time as Philippa, many of the events & details struck a chord with me.
A good thing Sophie Duffy has a better memory than me, as I have (or had) forgotten so many of the details of my growing up in the 70's/80's, so this book was a pleasure to read & rediscover some long forgotten memories of my own.
I also enjoyed the story itself & found myself reminded in places of one of my favorite authors, John Irving, who also skillfully weaves his books around the lives of his characters, often with very thought provoking results. High praise indeed !
If you belong to a book club, I recommend this for your short list - it will get you all talking for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A generation read, 7 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Generation Game (Paperback)
I read this book with interest as a resident of Teignmouth and knowing Sophie. The read more than met my expectations. I like books that explore relationships between people, which this book did. I enjoy a book with some pace, this book was I felt, pacey but the story didn't suffer any, it explored characters and relationships in some depth but still had an engaging lightness about it. It had some welcome touches of familiarity about it, both in its recent historical references, a Royal Wedding, television inferences and its geographical context. My daughter (a student) has also enjoyed the book and I will certainly recommend this to my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars But I don't read books like this, 4 Aug 2011
Amazon Customer (Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Generation Game (Paperback)
I have to confess a bias. Sophie Duffy is a friend(name dropping, huh?). That is what got me reading the book in the first place. Because I don't read this sort of book.

And that is the attitude that carried me through the first couple of pages. Then I got hooked.

Written from the perspective of Philippa Smith and alternating between modern(ish) day and picture postcatds from her life as she grows up in Torquay, Sophie draws the reader into Philippa's life and engages with the characters- all of whom are obviously seen through Philippa's eyes. What really impressed me is the way that Philippa's comments reflect the age she is at. It can't be easy to remember what it felt like to be two or four or seven.

This is a really gripping read and I thoroughly recommend it. A very assured first novel. I hope there are more books in there, Sophie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct 2014
Excellent book one to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Oct 2014
I loved this book

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy but Cheesy, 12 Nov 2013
Paul Allen (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Generation Game (Paperback)
A very light and (all too) easy read with a thread that carries you through to the end with the odd twist and turn. The use of TV shows of the day to evoke the various periods worked well. However (unlike some) I found the characterization weak.with a result that I really didn't care too much what happened to the central character. So is this what they mean by chick lit I ended up asking myself.Well I'll try anything once but not again in this case. I can easily see this one translating into a TV drama of its own which is somewhat ironic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Nov 2014
EXCELLENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 16 July 2012
This review is from: The Generation Game (Paperback)
I have just finished reading The Generation Game by Sophie Duffy. I couldn't put it down, it was funny, sad, empathetic and had some brilliant characters. They were described in such a way that I still have a vision of them in my head.

Can't wait for the next one Sophie, have recommended to all my friends and family.The Generation Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Charm and nostalgia with an edge, 28 May 2012
I loved this! Right from the quirky opening, when Philippa tells her new baby, her own story right from birth.

Life is not easy, especially when her mother will keep moving. First to Torquay and eventually and to Canada, leaving Philippa in the care of sweet-shop owner Bob and the kindly, if eccentric Wink. Saturday evenings watching The Generation Game are a high-spot for all and the excitement, when Wink gets to appear on the programme is one of my favourite scenes in the novel.

As Philippa grows up, the difficulty she has making relationships leads her astray. Who wouldn't be scarred by the death of a close friend and abandonment by her mother? But our sympathies are always with her and I'm sure I'm not alone in shedding a few tears at the final revelation.

Congratulations to Sophie Duffy for producing such an entertaining and assured debut novel. I'm really looking forward to her next.

The Generation Game
The Generation Game by Sophie Duffy (Paperback - 1 Aug 2011)