5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read., 21 May 2013
This review is from: Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd (Paperback)
Though obviously aimed at the vast army of mad keen birders who will love the tales of success and failure (ticks and dips) during a birding holiday in the Scillies, this will also appeal to the more casual birdwatchers like me, who will love the insights into the world of twitchers and what drives normally sane people to travelling thousands of miles to add that elusive tick to their various lists. I found myself totally caught up in the hunt with a wonderful array of characters both human and avian in the short and very readable account .

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there!, 11 Sep 2013
Bruce Caswell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd (Paperback)
If you were on the Isles of Scilly in October 1984, as I was, then this will bring back many happy memories. If you weren't, you'll read this book and wish you had been.
And if you who have never been to the Isles of Scilly, reading Scilly Birding will make you want to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bird watching in a lighthearted way, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd (Paperback)
This was a tale about bird watching rather then about birds. It was brilliantly told. Really enjoyed it and would highly recommended it

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 27 Feb 2014
M. SEWELL (Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd (Paperback)
This is a very funny book which will be enjoyed by any bird watcher.
I keep it by my bed, and whenever I can't sleep i dip into it, and find some good humour.
Then I am relaxed and can get back to sleep!

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd (Paperback)
Simple, and highlighted the wonder of birding on the Isles of Scilly, a must for all birders at least once. Adequately shows the pressure that some of the birding fraternity under. A pleasant read

5.0 out of 5 stars The Enemy within ;-), 28 Dec 2013
Rob Sawyer (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd (Paperback)
Simon Davey is my enemy. I have met him, in fact he recognised me first, he is a nice bloke, but he's still my enemy. Why? This book is always vying with mine (the wonderful Birduder 344, buy it after you read this) in the Amazon charts. We both write for Brambleby Books and trade positions and numbers of reviews, so what on earth am I doing shooting myself in the proverbial foot by reviewing my Enemy's book? Well because I am a decent sort of chap and quite frankly it is worth reviewing.

It tells the story of a trip to Scilly in 1984 which was one of 'those years' and Simon manages to 'luck in' on all sorts of excellent birds, quite jealousy inducing to be honest. It is told from the hip, so don't expect any Tim Dee over embellishment and loads of literary quotes, more minimalist with short sentences (does Davey have delusions of Hemingway?), and is highly readable, page turning sometimes, stomach turning too - more jealousy.

I think it would help if you were a birdwatcher when reading this book, although if you are not you will certainly realise how mad we all are. What is good, at almost 30 years ago, is the huge slice of nostalgia within the covers - CB radios for example, bless! My Scilly virginity was lost in 1985 another stonker of a year, and really this book is the same with different birds, brought back many happy memories.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and even if this bumps him ahead of me, again, then so be it - very good indeed!

An entertaining read, all birders should read it (and then buy mine).

4.0 out of 5 stars Not silly at all - just Scilly., 15 Sep 2013
mia (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd (Paperback)
Oh to be on Scilly now September's here!

I've only been to the Isles of Scilly once, as a child, on a day trip on the Scillonian from Penzance, and around Easter time. It must be time to go back!

It's a pity they are so far away - but if they weren't out west, 25 miles out from Lands End, they wouldn't be the place to see stonking yellowthroats, crippling Swainsons and even stunning rustics.

If the last sentence makes no sense to you, then Scilly, in autumn, may not be the place for you, because it is then that it is invaded by rare birds and odd birders.

I would like to go there in September or October as much for the observation of the birding tribe as of rare wind-blown birds.

Simon Davey's engaging book is one of those that tells you of the ups and downs of looking for birds - there are usually as many downs as ups. Cold and hunger can be endured as part of the experience but when you keep missing the birds by moments, or sometimes worse, see them but so briefly that you don't quite know what you saw (except everyone else tells you it was `the' rare bird) those moments can be hard to take.

This is the tale of the ups and downs of two Scilly weeks in October 1984. To some readers it will open up a strange new world of looking for rare birds and to others it will recall similar days of joy and/or (usually `and') frustration. It's a good read and will appeal to more than the committed birder.

The observations of birders are completely authentic. What a Scilly crowd we can be!

Simon Davey's Scilly Birding: join the madding crowd is published by Brambleby Books and is available on Amazon as is Mark Avery's Fighting for Birds.

Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd
Scilly Birding: Joining the Madding Crowd by Simon Davey (Paperback - 25 April 2013)
7.87