5.0 out of 5 stars A delight of a memoir, 12 Jan 2012
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In the Country (Paperback)
Culled from various country "diaries" from the late 60's and early 70's it is remarkable how many of the issues identified by the late newsreader still resonate today - loss of habitat, increased pressure of population etc. Nevertheless, whilst there are some biting passages of criticism, on the whole this is a bright and airy celebration of the countryside and those who live and work there. Whilst being a collection of journalistic pieces there is therefore no coherent narrative through the book so it is ideal "dipping" material.

5.0 out of 5 stars I remember this place!, 20 Mar 2013
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In the Country (Paperback)
As the pages of this book turn its hard to believe it was first published in 1972 and was drawn from writings from the years before this.

The first reason for this surprise is that so many of the issues and ideas encountered here are still current. Agricultural change, habit change, invasive species - these are all current issues as well as historical ones. The tone with which these issues are discussed is matter of fact, but clearly concerned. It would seem the concern was well placed.

The second aspect that surprised me was just how well the book manages to summon the feel of a place that was less than an hour from where I was born. The fact that this was about a place that was the best part of fifty years in the past was remarkable! How could it feel so familiar and yet be so long ago? Maybe I'm getting old!

The bare bones of the book are that it is organised into 12 monthly chapters - although I doubt that the contents of the chapters are drawn from a single calendar year. The focus of the writing is resolutely local - and this is one of the greatest charms of this book. The focus rarely strays far from the authors little patch of England, but the themes it explores are more widespread.

This is a really very good book, and I would recommend it very highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Local Author, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: In the Country (Paperback)
I used to read Kenneth Alsop's newspaper articles and he was one of the people that influenced a lifetime of interest in nature conservation.

Now I've retired I find that I am living within 3 miles of his Wessex mill. This triggered my purchase .

He ordered his chapters by the month and that is how am am reading his book.

Therefore I can only review Chapters May and June. I am happily looking forward to reading the coming months as the year progresses.

Can recommend this book to anyone who has "escaped to the country" Wessex or not.

In the Country
In the Country by Kenneth Allsop (Paperback - 6 Jun 2011)
10.00