5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping thriller for our times
Published on 7 Mar 2011 by Sophie

3.0 out of 5 stars read like a first attempt
A bit rambling, I found it difficult to recall a lot of the characters as the plot developed, and the end was somewhat predictable. It reads like someone wrote this who decided they could write a novel and wanted to prove it.
Published 14 days ago by James Symons

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping thriller for our times, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Very English Revolution (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this although a lot of it comes a bit too close for comfort. S G Norris has very cleverly interwoven the current political events facing us today and projected a nightmare vision of where we're heading. The rise of nationalistic, right wing politics explodes into violence as a tenacious researcher uncovers something dark and nasty in the political woodshed. She immediately comes under pressure to be quiet and when she won't give in, the pressure mounts and her life is is put into danger as she races against time to stop a violent explosion.

As topical as tomorrow's headlines and a compelling, taut read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Political Thriller, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Very English Revolution (Paperback)
This thriller races along so fast I found myself happily entranced for hours. The terrible consequences of the protagonists actions entangles you right up to the last page. The thought of these things happening in Britain make you really sit up and pay attention to our current affairs. It all starts so simply but bit by bit you find yourself drawn into a complex new world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convinces as both a thriller and political/religious commentary - 5 stars, 2 Mar 2011
A Very English Revolution convinces as both a thriller and political/religious commentary in a way the Da Vinci code never quite managed successfully.

On the thriller front the author keeps the reader guessing using cleverly integrated red herrings that are both fleeting and apparently insignificant in order to repeatedly throw the reader off the scent. Politically the author's obvious knowledge of each of the areas in which the book is set ensures that the political and religious debate reflects that which takes place in such areas and not in the minds of the metropolitan elite. This brave agenda seems designed to challenge readers of both left and right wing persuasions to question both the validity of their convictions and the effect these can have on others.

This is an honest and brave first outing from SG Norris and I look forward to his next effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tense, thought-provoking thriller - can't wait for the sequel!, 26 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Very English Revolution (Paperback)
If you want a good read this summer, look no further than A Very English Revolution. A heady cocktail of politics, religion and murder, with a believable cast of villains and likeable well-rounded good guys who take us on a rollercoaster ride from London to Leeds. A tense, thought-provoking thriller exposing the danger of apathy in the face of extremism. Can't wait for the sequel!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 18 May 2012
It's been a little while since I read this but I really enjoyed it. I normally have very little time for reading unless I'm on holiday and once I picked this up on holiday I found it very hard to put down. There are plenty of interesting characters and some very good plot twist that keep you wanting to read a little more before putting the book down and going to sleep or even leaving the flat to visit the sights of Rome!

I normally read something based a little bit more on the historic side like Bernard Cromwell but would recommend this as a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very English Revolution, 25 April 2012
This book had me hooked right from the start. How easily individuals and groups can be manipulated was frightening. Those lone voices who swim against the tide are the real heroes. Wish I was that brave myself. Do buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very English Thriller, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Very English Revolution (Paperback)
A fast moving,action thriller that doesn't get too bogged down in description or backstory so holds the reader's interest. The novel explores the power, deceit and dark secrets of the Catholic church and its hidden influence on right-wing politics. In some ways the author could have taken more of risk and gone deeper into the dark side of the Church and its echoes years later. Very topical especially following the recent riots in Britain.

I liked that the story had strong female characters and one of them, Lucy Sayers, was a villain in the story, which was refreshing.

I didn't warm to Rachel as much as I did to Sarah and felt that the author could have opened up the layers of her personality more than he did. Hopefully we will get more of a glimpse at her past and what makes her the character she is in the sequel.

A good book to enjoy while relaxing on holiday, far away from all the tensions on British streets.

3.0 out of 5 stars read like a first attempt, 11 July 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Woeful, 11 Mar 2014
I chose this novel on the strength of an amazon recommendation and positive customer reviews, but I will never again be using these criteria on which to base a decision. It became apparent within a paragraph or two that the prose was clunky and juvenile, but I persevered in the hope that it may be redeemed by its plot, a la Dan Brown. Sadly, there was no redemption and I only contined the the end because I wanted to be able to write an honest review and warn other unsuspecting customers against this drivel.
The themes, ie. religion, political extremism and corruption appealed, but the plot was so unbelievable and the characters so two dimensional that I was constantly put in mind of an A level English language student. Maybe that's unkind - to the A level student, obviously. But the analogy is fair insofar as the author seems enthusiastic and over zealous in that partially informed way of one finding his political feet. And don't get me started on the dialogue...
In short, one most definitely to miss.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get a proof reader, 19 April 2013
I loved the story but the spelling and misplaced words drove me crazy. By-Election for heavens sake is such a simple construction, what on earth is a Bi-Election, two elections happening at once- Agghh It detracted from what was a good story. The Characters are well rounded and the narrative runs well. A good read.

A Very English Revolution
A Very English Revolution by S G Norris (Paperback - 11 Feb 2011)
8.99