5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Fantasy Foolproof
Having bought the guide to go with the last game after I completed the storyline I pre-empted myself and got this guide too.

Published on 4 Feb 2012 by A. Vancouver

OK, so they are never 100% perfect, ever, but this guide really annoys me! (you can expect typos or whatever in all things BUT)

Published 21 days ago by Satyasya

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Fantasy Foolproof, 4 Feb 2012
A. Vancouver "Annakajima" (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - The Complete Official Guide - Collector's Edition (Hardcover)

It arrived far quicker than I thought so I had it in time when the game was here. The game itself has really changed and I am very glad I bought this one, the crystarium being a very important part of the character levelling, it makes a difference having the guide to tell you the optimum way of improving your characters. You can basically get more out of them by following the books instructions. It can be confusing initially but once you get the hang of the system it's so easy.

It's just as beautifully laid out as well, with gorgeous artwork of the game characters. It's well designed and I haven't encountered any spoilers. There's good sections that give you great suggestions on how to improve the gameplay as it's not as linear as the last game. I'm aiming to complete this game 100% and don't want to miss out on items and side-quests etc which this draws your attention to.

On the way the book is made, they've added two bookmark ribbons so that you can switch between two sections easily, the cover is padded as well which sounds silly but feels and looks lovely.

I've found it already invaluable and it looks great in my collection alongside my games and other guides. I haven't got very far in but am really looking forward to playing the rest of the game and having the guide by my side

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, 4 Mar 2012
Excellent Quality frame and text. Important if you want to do everything in the game or either if you just want to know where's the rarest stuff at. Easily Recommendable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally worth my money, 28 Feb 2012
Excelent product. It is indeed very nice to play while following the guide, as it is written in such a way so that you can enjoy yourself while not feeling spoiled. It features wonderful details such as page markers, as well as top-notch paper quality. It does not feel like a bother to read, as it is written in such a way it makes you feel you have some kind of "game companion". Frequent images from the game itself keep the reading fresh.
Cobclusion: totally worth my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piggyback make yet another magnificent strategy guide!, 11 Feb 2012
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
*It seems like Amazon have mixed the reviews up from the Collector's Edition & Standard Edition product pages, this review was written for the Collector's Edition which I would personally recommend over the standard version whilst they are in stock! :)*

- - - - - - - - - -

Piggyback have never disappointed me in the past and it looks like they've succeeded in leaving a good impression again!

It took me awhile to even open up the book, I was in awe by the lovely simplistic look (the way Final Fantasy should always be) as well as the feel and texture of the book. It's a hardback that has an amazing squidgy feel, holding the book is a real pleasure I can assure you, even my friends didn't want to put it down.

As for the contents, it contains all the information you would need and is wonderfully presented not only in the layout of the writing, but also the pictures of beautiful artwork and pictures, I really couldn't of suggested a better layout.

It also has a ribbon for a bookmark attached, great add-on!

If you want help in the game, or just want that little extra tip (especially for those trophy hunters out there), then get it!

If your just a Final Fantasy fan who doesn't want to know anything, still buy it! You don't have to read the book before you've finished the game, just wait until after you've completed the game before reading, because I can promise you as a Final Fantasy fan, this book is worth every penny.

PIGGYBACK, I applaud you for creating once again another masterpiece of a strategy guide, thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but a tad awkward, 29 July 2012
Being a fan of the final fantasy series and the quality strategy guides they produce, I purchased this guide for 8, which is a decent price, even for a standard edition.

The collectors edition has a nice feel to it and the two different ribbons are useful, though sometimes (especially in long side quests) I still had to use a bookmark. It does tend to get dents in it, especially if it is being used.

The walkthrough part of the guide is split into two main sections "walkthrough" and "tour guide". Essentially walkthrough gives you the main story objectives and how to complete them, whilst tour guide lists all the side quests monster overview and place or monster of interest. This is a nice idea as it prevents spoilers and encourages exploring, though the one criticism I have is that I wished the maps were in the walkthrough section and not the tour guide.
The rest of the guide is dedicated to explaining game mechanics, lists of monsters, items, check-lists weapons and achievements.

It's a nice guide and a pleasure to flick through absentmindedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 4 May 2012
I Bought this guide to help me get 100% game completion and in part because i collect game guides (Weird collection, i know) .

This guide is simply amazing. It is really well written, it has every little piece of information (It even has boss-battle strategies), the artwork is superb and it has a lot of visual aids , which is really good because a guide with "text only" is really not that helpful. This one has tons of pictures to guide you through.
It has a really compressive walkthrough and side-quest walktrough which is super easy to follow as well.

All in all, i currently have 100% of the game done, including achievements.

A really, really well deserved 5* from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Mar 2012
A superb polished guide to help maximise enjoyment of what is a very highly gnjoyable game. A must to help you find those difficult artefacts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 28 Feb 2012
Its not often I buy a guide, usually when I do they are a cheap tatty mess after a few days use and once everything has been achieved in the game, thrown out.
This however, will be going on my shelf afterwards along with the rest of my hardback books in pride of place.

Why? Simple, the guide itself is beautifully crafted with padded cover/rear which not only look good, but feel great too. The guide starts off by summarising the plot from the previous game (Final Fantasy XIII - amazingly!) which is useful if, like me, you finished the game over a year ago & are a little fuzzy on certain plot elements.

Then the walkthrough begins, for the first section it is dedicated more towards the first play through and, as such is a lot more streamlined and easy to understand, explaining what is needed without giving away any spoilers and does a great job of this. Unlike more recent FF games, whilst still being somewhat linear you can jump around from place to place & even year to year as you see fit completing them in any order (to a point).

Now notice I said first playthrough, as per the whole time jumping even after you "finish" the game, you can continue on your journey with the same levels/gear you had. This is where the guide comes into its own, the second part of the guide is a more detailed approach to every area, where to catch every sort of monster and of course where to get all the 160 fragments and 8 paradox endings, basically these are endings which will occur if you say....do something you shouldn't in the timeline which will warp the future. A nice little feature.

Whilst collecting 160 fragments may sound like something only a gamerscore/trophy obsessive would do, sadly/gladly (depending on your viewpoint) you actually need ALL 160 fragments along with the 8 paradox endings to see the secret ending of the game. Which I am assuming is where most of the plot leads will get wrapped up - 159/160 fragments....on the monster hunter fragment now, sigh... - as the normal ending to the game, is very un-final fantasy like and well, rather depressing (no spoilers here).

To sum up, basically this guide would be worth buying for that price even if it looked and felt hideous due to the sheer amount of use I am getting from it, the fact it is stunning is just the icing on the cake. Although there will be odd moments where you realise you are handling the book like a new born baby, whilst the actual game case you just lob on the floor when the disc is in :o\

3.0 out of 5 stars Piggyback Guides are always great but this time...not so much..., 26 Mar 2014

Almost all the info is there, but it is written in such a stupid way!!! Walkthrough and Tour Guide o_O Two sections are seperated for no reason. Just put it all in order with "optional" as a heading with maps alongside, how hard is that???!!!

The walkthrough as you turn the pages in the minimum you will have to do to get through the game, the tour guide is...everything else!!! The maps are NOT in the walkthrough, the live trigger dialogues choices and rewards are not part of either the Walkthrough or the Tour Guide!!! (at the very back) And of course, this guide DOES NOT FEATURE THE DLC, YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND IT ALL OUT ONLINE!

OK, I knew this to begin with and I don't expect it to have included the DLC but it just bothers me. FF games used to be self-contained and the guides would have damn near everything in the game through the many pretty pages.

Some sentances or paragraphs are unhelpful and the bestiary is not in alphabetical order which is a little annoying for me. Also, FFXIII-2 has a Live Trigger glitch (look it up) which is not in the guide...but should it have been and would it have been possible/proper? I dunno. Also, the so called "work around" of the glitch you can find online (liket he FF WIKI) doesn't work, I chose the "funny option" reset the zone, and then they already acted like I beat the dragon things...but I digress!

The guide is annoying but all you need is there, you just need like 5 bookmarks

5.0 out of 5 stars Feedback, 21 Mar 2014
I got everything I wanted out of this game guide. I recommend this book to anyone else who owns the FF13-2 game and wants to complete it through 100%. It really is helpful.

ARRAY(0xb6b86684)