5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and practical
Published 6 months ago by kiwi girl

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!
Published 17 months ago by Literate Hamster

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Living With Less: How to downsize to 100 personal possessions (Paperback)
This book is not really very helpful: its recipe is "Go through all your possessions, keep things you want to keep and sell / give / throw away the rest." Oh, and label some garbage bags to put things in. No real help here in making the decisions nor in keeping the number of your possessions down to the arbitrary 100. And the advantages of doing this? You'll feel better and you'll have more time to spend with your family. The (uncaptioned) photos show rooms packed with stuff in prissy little boxes - are they the Before or the After pictures? I especially scorn the one showing some shelving housing, I estimate, 45 pairs of shoes and boots. They look neat and well stacked but, again, Before or After the cull? Another reviewer has commented that the book is repetitive and I second that. The author's "blogged" experience of cutting down the number of her possessions is crass: "I am letting go of some black shoes, some black sandals and brown flip-flops" - And your point is...?: I would have preferred that the book be illustrated with other peoples' experiences. The best two bits of advice I've ever read on this subject are, true to form, omitted. "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris, and Don Aslett's real winner: if you have a gift you feel you ought to keep but would like to dispose of, take a photograph of it. Sorry, Mary Lambert, this book really doesn't cut the mustard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really about having only 100 things, 13 Nov. 2013
Thi book would be useful if you were coming fresh to the whole world of downsizing. But for anyone else I think there's not much here that's new. the title is a bit of a cheat - in telling you how to downsize to 100 items the author suggests achieving this by excluding whole categories of possessions, for example not counting any books or jewellery or counting a collection of shoes as one thing. So you could follow all the exercises in this book successfully and end the process by still having thousands of things, which doesn't seem quite the point.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth reading, 28 Feb. 2013
I was intrigued to know how someone, especially female, could downsize to 100 personal possessions, and she does it by calling, for example, 10 handbags one item!! 4 evening bags count as one item, also 3 watches, one item, etc etc - you get the picture.

The book is repetitive - I did not learn any new ideas from it. I have read No More Clutter by Sue Kay and recommend that you read that instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this a joke????, 16 Dec. 2014
This is honestly the worst book I have ever read, and I have read loads on clutter clearing and living with less.
She starts with over 300 personal possessions and shrinks it down to 100, but she does this by grouping her 16 pairs of sandals into one group counting them as one item not 16 and so on and so forth. So in actual fact she doesn't actually have less she just decides its OK to call it less so that she can write a book we can all be ripped off with. Honestly please don't waste your money on this, it should never have got a book deal, I guess the publishers never read this one before they agreed. As is often said its not what you know its who you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and practical, 30 Jan. 2015
I also have read loads of books on de cluttering. I have far too much stuff still and found this book a good motivation to start trying to simplify our family life. Yes it is very formulaic but it also has very good tips and pointers to common clutter areas in various categories around the house. The colourful illustrations make it motivating and illustrate the author's points. The author has a somewhat holistic view towards decuttering, probably due to her feng shui back ground. I will refer to this book throughout the year on my journey to de clutter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference book for decluttering, 14 Feb. 2013
Very useful and has helped me start to get to grips with downsizing. Well planned book that you can dip in and out of.

2.0 out of 5 stars How can a book about cutting objects down to 100 not be on Kindle?, 7 April 2013
Angel Jem "Angel Jem" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Ms Lambert wants to cut our possessions down in size: in her case to 100. Having read David Bruno and Francine Jay I'm happy to read up on minimalism. I'm an aspiring minimalist. I buy much less stuff than I used to and I am decluttering my life. So why is a book I would like to read and learn from not available in clutter free Kindle form? Is it to keep people from reading the free excerpt and choosing to go no further? Or because Kindle books for over £4 don't do too well? Since I won't clutter my house with a hardback or spend £10 to find out what Mary says, I guess I will have to wait until a cheaper ormore space efficient version is released.

Living With Less: How to downsize to 100 personal possessions
Living With Less: How to downsize to 100 personal possessions by Mary Lambert (Paperback - 10 Jan. 2013)