4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely ideas, but not sure how much I'll actually make
It only arrived today, so obviously I've not made anything yet. I bought it as I've already got two Nikki trench crochet books and really rated the accuracy and simplicity of the patterns. Was great for when I was first learning. This one appealed because it can be hard to find modern, fashionable crochet patterns.

Positives: I'm pleased to see some more...
Published on 6 Oct. 2012 by Dandelion

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd taken more notice of previous reviews.
Because then I wouldn't have wasted my money on a book that only caters to women up to a maximum of size 12/14!!!!!!
Published on 27 April 2013 by H. Young

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely ideas, but not sure how much I'll actually make, 6 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Geek Chic Crochet - 35 retro-inspired projects that are off the hook (Paperback)

Positives: I'm pleased to see some more complex patterns in this book as well as some basic ones. A real variety of skill level is catered for. It's a very pretty book, with nice photographs. I love all the cardigans in the book and the long socks. I'll definitely have a go at those and the motif jumper. The Peter Pan collar cardigan is bang on trend as is the lacy collar. The dress on the front cover is beautiful. I'd wear that. I'd love to have a go at the tassel cushion but can't help but think that the time it would take to make and the cost of the wool render it more sensible to buy a ready made one from a shop!

Negatives: The patterns on some pages are written in a small font against a dark background which might make them a little difficult to follow. And some of the patterns for the clothing items only go up to a size 12-14. I'm a 14-16, so was disappointed by this. A couple of the patterns are dated. I hate the crop top!

All in all, it's a lovely book and well worth the money. But I doubt I'll use all of the patterns.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd taken more notice of previous reviews., 27 April 2013
H. Young "nellyp28" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Only for confident crocheters, 30 Jun. 2013
Nana Di (teignmouth,devon,eng.) - See all my reviews
Some beautiful projects in here and now comes the BUT..... the copy I have neede some major alterations.i.e.the peter pan collared cardi neither I nor friends who are all proficient crocheters could get the guage right using the hook size with the yarn specified .Small hook and sport yarn =small garment.Methinks maybe there's a misprint here 3rd attempt and the guage is right DKyarn and a 4.50 hook.There are a couple of slips in it like not telling you when and how to put the beads on yarn....doesn't anyone proofread anymore??????? So, in general, disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I AM a geek!!!!, 5 Mar. 2013
This book began by making me feel nostalgic for my youth because this was really hip type clothing at the time. I find the patterns easy to deal with as well. Even if I did not crochet, this book would be a wonderful pick up and put down addition for the coffee table. Fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Geek Chic and Retro Funky...but only if your a UK 14 or under!, 4 Dec. 2014
This is a great buy if you are looking for a younger more fashionable take on crochet
garments. Not every pattern is going to appeal to the masses...especially the crop top if you are no longer 18 with a washboard tum...however having an 18yr old niece with a washboard tum she was very happy to receive it as a gift along with
the shorts which apparently all her friends are also keen on. There is a cotton crochet dress that is made for festival season and some cute hair accessories that would make quick gifts. I bought the book as I was keen on the jumper dress on the front cover and for me this was worth the purchase price alone. There is also a gorgeous 'bobble jumper' which I have made and had many compliments on. Theres a lovely 'motif jumper' made using Debbie Bliss Angel that will make up in a
day or two if your proficient as well as several nice retro style (but not the typical boxy) crochet cardigans.
There are a few so called filler items such as the cushions and earrings and a couple I would class as a bit too retro even for geek chic (neckerchief and circles cardi), but on the whole I think its worth a look.
If I have one criticism its that there really isn't much on offer if you are larger than a dress size 12-14 which considering the average dress size in the UK is a 16, seems a bit of a silly ommission and something that could do with amending on reprint.

2.0 out of 5 stars GEEK CHIC CROCHET NICKI TRENCH, 28 Aug. 2013
I am very disappointed in this book. The pictures and patterns are lovely but the instructions have bits missing out of them. I loved the fur-collared cardigan and spent £70 on the prescribed yarn. However I now find that there are errors in the instructions. I notice that the book was printed in China. Also, there does not appear to be a contact number for 'help'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality Book - Good Proects, 17 Jun. 2015
Love the book. Good quality book, looks & feels expensive. Some of the projects are great & some not so great. I just love having crochet books - love to crochet. I have yet to crochet something from this book, the first project that I would do is the tunic on the cover or . . . . . . there's a lovely skirt. I'll get around to doing something (I hope). So, in conclusion, if you like good, quality crochet books, this is a good book to have in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Jun. 2015
Lovely collection of timeless patterns.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good., 5 May 2014
I got this for my mum and she has just started to crochet. It is a very good book for learners or people who know alot more about it. Has some amazing pattens and is a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 April 2013
Fun & Easy Patterns - cheerful and friendly. I would certainly recommend this item to other fellow crochet enthusiast including beginners

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›