Format: Hardcover|Change

on 24 March 2013
Hardly anything in this book you wouldn't instinctively know how to make yourself. There are far better books out there.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2013
I was given this book for Christmas and it took all my diplomacy to be polite about it when the giver asked me if I'd liked it. If I'd been honest (as opposed to tactful) I would have said that the projects were pretty pedestrian and the text cringe-making rather than inspiring. I did NOT say that I had already passed it on to another friend who has two primary school age children who want to learn to sew.

For me, as someone who has been sewing for years, it was predictable and unimaginative. To be given a book which told me how to make bunting, a tote bag, aprons, hotwater bottle covers and the like was definitely redundant; of you are thinking of giving this as a gift, only consider it for an absolute beginner. The projects featured in well-known magazines are usually far better, more imaginative and better explained.

My friend with the two young daughters is quite enjoying using it; having the pictures helps the girls imagine what they are going to make. Even they, however, said the cup candles were no longer "cool" and had been featured in too many magazines already. Friend also begs to report, sir, that the directions for bunting are pretty poor stuff. Using bias binding is not good as it stretches, and rapidly goes manky; she swears by sturdy woven tape. And if you don't want your chintz to hang like limp dishrags, you need to use an iron-on starch to give the fabric some body.

Crossley seems to have come to 'crafting' late, as a well-off, bored lady in need of a hobby. She writes "If I didn't live in a house full of boys, there would be flowers, frills and fairies on every surface", also "I vividly remember at school despairing over my hopelessness with a sewing machine". Note this well. Despite, of perhaps because of, this, she now has a business making this sort of thing and selling it to those with plenty of money but not the ability or work ethic to make even the simple stuff (who, if anyone, buys the infamous yarn-wrapped sticks is a question left unanswered). Anyone thinking of buying this book for themselves should bear that information in mind before parting with their hard-earned.
on 7 January 2014
I thankfully didn't purchase this book, instead it was part of another bill subscription present and they let me swap it for another treat after a social media name and shame. As previous reviews have pointed out, the decent ideas are still very basic but you see a spread that describes how to forage for good sticks and how to wrap embroidery floss round them, well, do you really need instructions for this? How this book came to print is mind boggling, how an editor then failed to question the quality of some of the ideas is doubly mind exploding with the audacity. Search for ideas on Youtube and blogs, it's cheaper and more inspiring.
on 27 September 2012
Having read the 5 star reviews, I was tempted and bought the book. I am afraid that I am not impressed at all. It has some lovely photographs but a great deal of the content can be found for free on various blogs. Wrapping thread around sticks and cutting holes in books - not quite what I expected from "ideas & projects for turning everyday items into something beautiful" and using printer's trays to show off collections is hardly original either.
on 15 May 2013
My expectations exceeded what I received. The order was lost twice and I had to call repeatedly. Nice photographs. OK but not worth the wait.
on 21 September 2012
This is a gorgeous book that is visually stunning as well as being packed with the most brilliant, ingenious ideas of ways to make
your home more personal and original.... and even if you think you have no inclination to get crafting as Willow suggests - the photos, drawings, checklists and ideas
are entertaining enough to make this a perfect book to savour and read again and again. I love the way it is written too - really personal as if the author
is talking straight to you! Too many great ideas to single out - although the simplest idea of decorating sticks with silk thread is a brainwave - I know what I'm giving everyone for Christmas!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2013

on 15 December 2013
I loved the ideas in this book it we'll laid out with clear information on how to make things and has a few different thing to make not just normal handicrafts. I bought it as I had seen it at Liberty's in London
on 16 October 2012
This book is a complete waste of money. Nice pictures...yes, ideas....where are they? If you enjoy natural crafting or any type of crafting, keep your money in your purse and your mind active and ideas far superior to the ones in this book will soon grow...A bundle of sticks with twine wrapped round them....Yer having a laugh Willow... please excuse the pun;-)
on 13 December 2012
I am so glad I borrowed this from the library instead of buying it. I own many craft books and this is by far the worst I have come across. The projects left me speechless. I suppose they are more for people who have never 'crafted' before or aren't particularly into crafts but still they are basic, silly and practically pointless at best. Stick some pom poms on a basket, wrap a ribbon around a hat, and the piece de resistance: wrap some twine around some sticks. Save your money. There are numerous craft bogs that are so much more imaginative that can be easily found if you need inspiration. As a side note, the quotes from famous people (Bryan Ferry and Cara Delevigne) on the back cover have made me really question their tastes! Awful is a harsh description, but apt.