on 9 October 2012
I have a small business which specialised in upcycling so considered myself fairly savvy when it comes to seeing the creative potential of everyday items. Junk genius however takes this concept to an entirely different level.
The book is divided into seven chapters with each chapter based around a upcycling theme such as fabric and trims, metal and wire, paper and card etc. The book is beautifully laid out and photographed and though there are 80 projects to try with helpful hints and techniques I would say the book is more a source of creative inspiration then just another "how to do book".

Junk Genius is definately the best book of it's kind I have come across. It's full of great ideas whether it's projects for the home or garden or if you are looking for inspiration for unique gift ideas. Juliette and Stacy have created a really stylish and inspiring book.
on 3 October 2012
This book is beautifully produced - with a wonderful variety of projects to turn junk into useful and beautiful items. It encourages you to look at things in a completely different way - and to see that what one person might discard as junk can be transformed into something useful for the home.
on 26 October 2012
This book is great inspiration for anyone who enjoys crafting and especially transforming old things into something new and stylish. The instructions for the different projects are clear and straightforward and there are great ideas for useful things to look out for in charity shops or antique stores. As well as the actual projects described, the book really helps you to look at old, familiar objects with new eyes and think about how they might be transformed into something amazing with a few simple changes. The book is beautifully styled too and a pleasure to look through while enjoying a coffee!
on 29 December 2013
I am currently starting up a craft business based on upcycling and thought I'd seen it all, but after just a few pages into this book was instantly inspired with these clever and unique ideas!
Beautifully laid out and easy to read.
Really good book and one of the best Christmas presents I got this year!
on 26 November 2012
I'm not usually in to re-using stuff but this book makes it look interesting and fun and shows that you don't need to throw money at something to get a chic result. Some really interesting ideas that you'd normally never come up with in a million years and easy to follow. For someone like me who wouldn't usually try it, it has given me more confidence to give it a go. I especially like the silk lampshade.
on 8 August 2013
This book is filled with inspirational/aspirational ideas with a huge list of things to look for at car boot sales, charity shops , or in granny's wardrobe ! This book is fabulous and I hightly recommend it !
on 1 December 2012
Was expecting so much more from this book, especially given the rave reviews. However, this is a prime example of the disadvantage in buying books online - if I'd been able to flick through it, I'd never have bought it.
The ideas are not particularly original and most projects are very basic and have that tatty amateur, rather than chic, homemade look. The book is filled with projects easily found on the internet and most reminded me of the sort of thing my children made at school.
on 14 November 2012
Recently bought this book and love it! The instructions are very clear and easy to follow.
I've done 3 projects already, my favourite being making 'message in a bottle' necklaces - Christmas gifts all sorted for this year!!
on 27 December 2012
I bought this for a very creative friend for Xmas - she wanted Kirsty Alsop's new one but I knew she would get it from someone else so went for this one instead (I was right she got 2 copies of it, glad I didn't make it 3!) I had a quick flick through when it arrived and saw at least 10 things that I knew she would love to make and would be easy and cheap to get the parts to make the ideas. She has already emailed me with all the things she wants to have a go at. The projects are not that difficult with step by step instructions. There is also lots of pictures so the visuals are fantastic. Would definitely recommend for any thrifty creative friends!
on 25 July 2013
I was really hoping someone would purchase this from my wish list for my birthday. Hurrah, they did and i wasn't disapointed. Even though i'm an artist and upcycle and recycle lots of things, i still found this book very inspirational and found new ideas. It's very visual with lots of images, and i love the odd typwriter written text and the canvas feel to the jacket. Excellent, love it, thanks little sis.