Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 April 2012
I was looking for a baby crochet book for a while but none had the right mix of patterns for me to make. This one is great. I want to make everything in it. The patterns are graded on ability. I have nearly finished a cardigan (beginners level) and it has only taken me a week (about an hour a day). So quick to make. I think even the more difficult patterns are achievable and the yarn recommendations are good if a little expensive (easy to substitute). I like that there are a range of practical clothing ideas and they are so quick to make that you could quickly work your way through the book. The only thing I would say is that I have a little girl and there are loads of patterns to make for her but if you had a boy I don't think there is quite as much choice in terms of clothing.
on 16 March 2012
I have to say I was a bit skeptical at first about ordering this book as I wasn't that fond of the projects on the front cover. I decided to buy it anyway as I bought Nikki's previous book 'cute and easy crochet' and loved it. I received it today and upon flicking through the patterns I am very impressed! The patterns are modern and practical. A few of my favourites are: baby shell cardigan, pocket trim cardigan, baby mittens, lilac booties, and the flower cot blanket is absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to get crocheting. This book is a MUST buy for anyone wanting to crochet cute baby clothes.
on 11 April 2013
I borrowed this book from the library, then because the first item I made was so good, I bought my own copy so I could keep making more. Most of the items in the book are very pretty, and the styles are quite current. there is however a heavy bias towards girls. The projects are graded in difficulty from one to three. The one star items are very simple, I made a lovely cardigan in only a week, and a ripple blanket pretty quickly too. I then tried some of the three star items and it has not gone well at all. Some patterns are very difficult to follow, and it would really help if after a lot of increasing or decreasing the stitch count was given at the end of a row so that you could check. I have been trying to make the toggle cardigan and after several attempts I just can't get my sleeves to line up with the arm holes so have given up and made up my own pattern. So far I have made four projects, two were lovely and two disastrous.
EDIT: I have reduced my star rating because I am now certain that the problems are due to the patterns, not my skills. For example, the Hooded Jacket, if made with perfect tension according to the instructions the pieces simply don't fit together, the fabric is stiff and horrible, and shape is wrong. To get a wearable item I need to use a different hook size, different tension, more increasing- basically make up my own pattern.
on 13 October 2012
I like most of the patterns in this book and as a novice have managed to make a few of the items. However, some of the patterns are a bit unclear and I have had to undo work a couple of times and try again. I have had most trouble with the blue rimmed hat as I think there is a typo at the start with regards to working the increases in the crown, I think I have sussed it out so will try again. I did email Nikki Trench but have not heard anything back yet.
on 2 October 2012
Lovely vibrant trendy and modern. Projects to make your baby or child look the business. I've done several hats and a cardigan and they get wonderful comments even from strangers. She is a fab designer.
on 23 June 2013
The ideas and patterns in this book are very good, but there have been typos, errors or unclear instructions in everything I've tried so far (Springtime Jumper, Beanie Hat and Baby Mittens) and I've had to adjust or guess what's intended to end up with something resembling the finished products. These patterns have not been tested, as far as I can tell. The book is ok as long as you're not a complete beginner and have a feel for how patterns should be and what to do to adjust them.
on 2 April 2013
I Bought this book as I have done some crochet and wanted to get back into it before my first baby.
I think the patters are really pretty especially as I am having a girl, however some are a little hard to follow.
I would warn to be aware of the measurements for the items, i started with the "Flower Power" cardigan as I thought this was so cute, i made the 3-6 month size and followed the pattern to the word even had some help from my expert crochet mother inlaw, but the cardigan came out tiny, the size for a doll, it was so small. When I looked at the measurements it said that it should be 30cm around, which it was, but when I looked at all the other patterns for cardigans they said the measurements for the same age was about 55-60cm, so they are all twice the size! I will pay more attention to the size guide rather than the age guide in future as this was flawed.
However other projects have been really nice, I am about half way through the flower blanket and its SO pretty, although really hard to master the first square now I have it down to a fine art it is very easy, I think ill even make a matching one but smaller for the moses basket.
Overall great book, really cute and modern patterns.
on 2 January 2015
This book has temptingly gorgeous projects to make however the patterns are littered with errors. They're mostly minor errors however it makes it quite difficult figuring out the pattern in places.On the back this book states the patterns are easy to follow - but they're not! I wouldn't recommend this book to a beginner. Nicki Trench needs to find a better proof reader before writing another one.
on 8 August 2012
It's a great book. The projects are truly cute and easy as promissed. All the basics you need for your baby.
on 15 August 2013
I don't normally do reviews....however in this case I felt I had to. Nicki Trench's book is a joy. All the patterns are easy to follow and they are exciting designs. I would rate myself as an intermediate crocheter but having done several of her patterns I am well on the way to being advanced. The helpful instructions she provides at the start of the book are all there as a reference to follow if you get confused with the pattern and you can quickly take a look to get you back on track. The recipients of the gifts I have made from this lovely book have been delighted and amazed ...........praise indeed. Buy this book if no other if you want to enjoy your crochet!