4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Michael Freeman
I was first introduced to Michael Freeman when I picked up The Photographer's Eye a few years ago. Suddenly vague and obtuse concepts were clearly explained and made understandable. I really liked Freeman's everyman writing style that did not patronise or require a dictionary to decipher.

As I am now doing paid-for portrait gigs I have been trying to up my game...
Published 15 months ago by Brian Hamilton

2.0 out of 5 stars Promises promises it just is not working for me
I know Mr Freeman has bucket loads of books under his belt, but they all are vague and so is that one. I never learn, I should not touch any books by this author.

Published 7 months ago by Foxfire

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Michael Freeman, 22 July 2013
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait (Paperback)

As I am now doing paid-for portrait gigs I have been trying to up my game in this particular field. Portraits are notoriously tricky and getting a high quality, unique and revealing shot is no mean feat.

Once more, Freeman is the go-to guy and he tackles the complex subject with consummate ease. His likeable writing shines through and the text is peppered with his inspired and inspiring images.

I have read a lot (too many!) photo books over the years and they verge from the over simplified to the pompously inaccessible. Freeman hits a perfect middle ground by not treating us like kids but taking time to explain hard to grasp concepts.

Recommended for anyone with an interest in portrait photography.

2.0 out of 5 stars Promises promises it just is not working for me, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait (Paperback)

For an absolute beginner in photography one could learn nothing from this book. For more advanced/semi-pro/serious photographer, they will laugh their heads off at Mr Freeman's book on what should be. professional for professional/ semi-pro etc photographers. Such dribble will turn out a bunch of very poor School Portrait photographers.

Do not buy, if you take photography serious

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 23 July 2014
Djd Stephens - See all my reviews
Good book.
I have read a few of MF's books and they never dissapoint me.
Well writen, easy to understand.
Most portrait photography books are based around studio set-ups. This book does not - though there is a section at the back.

I highly recommend this book to any budding amateur photographer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait (Paperback)
Really good book with lots of ideas for the budding portrait photographer. Michael Freemen is a good author and been around for a long time. He has a simple way of getting across the tips and techniques to improve your photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great intro, 2 May 2014
Rob (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait (Paperback)
The entire series of these books are great for breaking down the information needed to get started in the the topic. They are not designed for experienced people in the subject, but for beginners you'll find it is quick and succinct in the information provided while providing you challenges to meet and review for yourself.

When I compare Michael Freemans books to other big name photographers I come to realise Freeman is a league above most.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book!, 30 Jan 2013
David PM Young (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait (Paperback)
Yet another Gem from Michael Freeman, well worth the wait. Full of lots of ideas and a lot of common sense. Well laid out, I do like the class room idea. Not a book to read cover to cover, IMHO, but one to dip in and out of for new ideas and to cement what you know already but had forgotten to use! That is the book make you think about portrait work. I mainly shot Car racing shots, but I am asked, because I am a Photographer, to do portrait work. I do charge and because of that I do have to do a great job, this book is highly recommended to you. Michael Freeman is up there with McNally & Kelby expalining things that you need top know without being patronising or too technical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait (Paperback)
I have a few of Michael Freeman's books and they are all great to read.

I will be buying more of the set in time to come.

Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait
Michael Freeman's Photo School: Portrait by Gary Eastwood (Paperback - 28 Jan 2013)