Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Fashion Photography 101: A Complete Course for the New Fashion Photographers
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£13.48+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 October 2012
I have been eager to get my hands on Lara Jade's fashion photography book since the day it was first announced. After recently receiving this in the post, I was pleased to find that it goes beyond my initial expectations. It literally talks you through every step in becoming a fashion photographer. From what equipment to have, preparation and finding inspiration; to getting work, marketing and working as a photographer.

As an extension to the value of this book and heaps of helpful information it provides, it is packed full of great images including behind the scenes photos and lighting setups, as well as plenty of Lara's best work. This book will continue to be a constant resource for learning and will help in my own personal career development. An absolute must buy for anybody wanting to make the leap into fashion photography.

I look forward to learning even more from Lara during her Creative Live workshop starting on the 22nd October 2012. I also intend to get myself onto one of her amazing workshops! Lara really is a true inspiration to the world of fashion photography.
on 12 November 2012
On first opening this book I quickly flicked through and was immediately taken in by the examples of Lara's work throughout. As one of the previous reviewers stated, it is probably worth the price for this alone :)

Once I sat down to read I was a little concerned at first as some of the technical info included was very basic, as were the lighting set-ups, but I let the book off as it is Fashion Photography "101" after all.

However, after enjoying Lara's three day workshop on Creative Live I realised that there really was no technical tips and tricks omitted from this book and that she creates all of her stunning images with very modest and uncomplicated set-ups. Re-reading the book I no longer view it as lacking in know-how, but a testament to how great images are created with vision and not equipment. So in short, the lighting chapter in this book is "refreshingly simple" :)

Moving on now to the books strongest point, this is definitely the industry knowledge shared and learning how to get started as a working fashion photographer.

Lara shares lots of her insight and knowledge as well as links to further resources to explore and get you started. She also does a great job of summing up the best social media sites available to market yourself and how to utilise them along with your online portfolio.

To me though, having read the book twice through and re-watched her three day Creative Live course several times, the biggest thing I get from Lara is inspiration. Seeing how she has built a career in fashion photography coming from a small town in the U.K really motivates me as someone in a similar situation.

If you have any interest in becoming a fashion photographer or simply want to add a bit of fashion flair to your portrait business then I highly recommend you buy this book now!

Adam Marc Williams Photographer
on 26 September 2012
I pre ordered Laras book and couldnt be happier with the result.

After completing a two day workshop with Lara in London I knew she had all the knowledge I needed to benefit me in my photography work. The book is beautifully set out and includes loads of Laras incredible photos.

The book is an excellent piece for any fashion photographer - its a summary of all Laras knowledge I learnt on the course.

As an owner of many fashion photography books I can honestly say this is the best layed out and easiest to read.
There are sections in every part of photography and even editing too.

A beautiful and inspiring book full of EVERYTHING!!!
Love it.
on 15 October 2012
It literally covers everything i wanted to; and to some extent still want to know about getting into the fashion industry. I mean i don't think you've missed anything. Also i love that you write in such a way that it feels very easy to apply to my own life and practise. Most books of this kind offer advice that just seems impossible to replicate or far too expensive to feasibly start with. You have never forgotten how and where you started and for this i think your fans will always follow you, your work and even the words your write.

It's perfect! Buy It!
on 4 November 2014
A primer for photographic novices, with some references to fashion. If you don't own a camera or have never used editing software, you might find his useful although since some of the lenses suggested are well over a thousand quid each, you'd need to be a very rich novice.

You'd also need a lot of cash to assemble the recommended team of MUA, hair stylist, digital assistant & personal assistant for a shoot.

It would have been good to have had a definition of fashion photography and then some explanation of how to achieve the different types of fashion shots; without this, all the stuff about marketing your images is largely irrelevant.

The Kindle version is only just over £8 but still not worth the money.
on 7 February 2013
If considering this book one should pay particular attention to the part of the book title that says "101". In other words it is a basic introduction.

For those who know nothing, it is an excellent introduction and pointer and covers some topics that I was surprised to see it cover. However, I think some topics were simply given way way way too brief a treatment e.g the section on copyright and licensing which was no more than two pages; that's absurd, that topic needs AT LEAST six pages (discussing how to copyright your images, and how to enforce copyright etc) as it is an issue that affects all photographers no matter what stage they are at in their career and can cause major problems if the photographer gets things wrong.

Then one looks at the issue of licensing and how much to charge. Again, the treatment was brief and generalised to the point of being absolutely useless. Perhaps, because the author is still a practising photographer subconciously she didn't want to give too much away to potential up and coming rivals. If so, I think the author has shot herself in the foot. For one of the major complaints I hear from seasoned pros is about the "weekend warriors" "wannabies" and such like with low overheads who shoot for ridiculously low rates thus cutting pay for all photographers across the board. That being so, I think the author should have given FAR FAR FAR greater treatment to this important topic so as to set the benchmark for others entering the profession and thereby helping herself too.

The lighting diagrams are superb, the best I have seen in a book.

Even though it's a "101" book, I still think the book is a litle too short. I reckon the book could do with double the number of pages and still be a "101" product;I think the author has erred too much on the side of brevity.

For the total know-nothing beginner this is a superb book. For those who have a bit of shooting experience, have done a few paid photo-shoots and can do basic lighting set-ups this book isn't the great gem that it will be for the total beginner but may still be worth the purchase for the few insights and refreshers it gives.

I also like the assignments that have been set for the reader throughout various chapters of the book. I think this is great as it prevents the reader from being a passive reader and forces them to put certain ideas in to practise.

Given that this is a "101" book I would like to have seen a chapter on Further Reading (maybe there is one, but I didn't spot it whilst skimming through it on receiving the book).

The book is easily worth a score of 3 out of 5.

For those looking for a more in-depth treatment, myself included, they will just have to look elsewhere.
on 28 February 2013
I bought this book to get an understanding of different methods of fashion photography. It is very informative, loads of photographs to demonstrate different methods including lighting. Loads of different sections, would recommend this as a brief starter to learn all areas of fashion photography.
on 3 November 2012
What a fantastic book. Everything you need to know about where to start, what to buy, how to handle situations. Every photographer (aspiring/enthusiastic/profession) should have this book. It really is a complete guide to fashion photography with descriptive pictures that compliment the shoot.
on 5 March 2013
It's exactly what I thought it would be. Has advice for amateurs as well as professionals. Lara Jade has always been an inspiration to me, and I'm glad this book didn't disappoint!
on 28 October 2012
The first thing I have to say is I had no doubt whatsoever about buying this book. I have followed Lara's progress as a photographer throughout the past year or so after watching the Lara Jade vs Joey L DVD.

Who should buy this book? This book is an obvious choice for anybody who has any interest in fashion photography whatsoever. It covers absolutely everything from equipment used to building your creative team to shooting to marketing and much much more.

Each section of the book goes into great detail in how Lara does her job and how she ended up as one of New York's top fashion photographers. Each page also has a short description of technical jargon which will speed up your knowledge of this industry.

As well as all the information, this book is really well illustrated with shots from Lara's career which gives you an even greater insight and understanding to what goes on in the studio and on location.

Trust me, if you are a student just getting started out in photography or have a keen interest in fashion photography then this book is perfect for you. There is a lot to learn in this business and this book has plenty of information to help you on the road.