5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!
A beautiful book which great illustrations and extremely helpful and clear explanations on how to achieve and improve your mono photos.
Published 7 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars You need the full Photoshop
This book was not for me but I don't want to deny its usefulness to others. I have Photoshop Elements but the first part of the book (I didn't get to the end) covers the full Photoshop techniques and it expects you to be fully familiar with them hence the little Photoshop steps at the sides of pages wholly lacking any explanation as to how to negotiate through them.
Published 12 months ago by Carpenter

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 3 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Advanced Digital Black & White Photography (Paperback)
This is by far the best book I have read for a full exploration of the techniques and fine tuning possibilities that are the basis of all mono photography. I found it most illuminating on older destructive techniques that I have been aware of at a superficial level but this book provides the missing detail.

It comes into its own on the more modern PS techniques and how to use them to their greatest effect which although I have been a keen user of the SFX plug in for some time I still found very useful knowledge. I found the SFX section very thorough and indeed it added to my knowledge in a couple of very useful and important ways that will alter my use of it for future imaging.

The one criticism I would add is the Lightroom section is irrelevant to me as a Mac user and I would have liked to have seen an equivalent Aperture section too but I can understand its omission.

All in all, I would very strongly recommend this to anyone seriously interested in creating quality black and white images.

3.0 out of 5 stars You need the full Photoshop, 16 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Advanced Digital Black & White Photography (Paperback)
This is a well considered and well written book which contains a huge number of useful tips and guidelines for the amateur user

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book for monochrome, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Advanced Digital Black & White Photography (Paperback)
Since i've bought this book, ( a great price on Amazon) i have picked up some realy good info,it starts off like most books to do withe mono, how to shoot for black & white, shooting in Raw, and Converting from colour into mono,using the greyscale method in photoshop, also, black & white adjustment layers, channel mixer, using Lightroom to process your b&w; and the silver efex plug in, a specialist b&w plug in is coverd very well,like the title says though, it is for advanced b&w so its sumising you know your way around photoshop, you will definitely learn quite a bit from this publication, recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says in the title., 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Advanced Digital Black & White Photography (Paperback)
Some great techniques to try, in here. When I have more time, I shall be exploring the outer limits of CS5!

Advanced Digital Black & White Photography
Advanced Digital Black & White Photography by John Beardsworth (Paperback - 30 April 2012)
Used & New from: £17.95