Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 May 2011
I have no hesitation in recommending this to lovers of Roman military fiction, and indeed anyone else who enjoys a great tale. The book actually interested me a lot more than I expected, particularly due to the setting. I am a fan of Roman history and have a good grounding in the subject, but mostly in the late Republic and Principate era. This book is set during the dusk of traditional Rome, in the late 4th century, with the Emperor Valens, Comitatensis troops, bishops, Goths, Constantinople and the Black Sea region. I recently became interested in this era after visiting Istanbul and 'Legionary' just expanded on that, dragging me in.

The plot is complex and extremely well-constructed, far more neatly than I realised at first, with twists and cliffhangers. The settings are beautifully described and leave the reader with a well-presented view. The characters are believable, interesting and appropriately sympathetic or loatheful.

In short, this is well worth the price and the time. It is, simply, an excellent read. Sequel, mister Doherty?
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2012
I found it difficult to get into this book and the characters. Perhaps it was because I had just read a very, very good book that couldn't have been more different to this (in terms of setting) before reading this one, but I struggled through the early part of the book and it just didn't seem to click with me, I can't put my finger on precisely why.

I think a large part of it was the dialogue which as others haven't pointed out, was full of anachronisms, and it did tend to grate on me quite a bit when the characters used modern slang and expressions.

The book also contained quite a few mistakes which made it a little confusing, for example:

"His eyes darted over to Spurius, who slipped on his rusting scale armour as if it was a silk cloak as he joked with Festus."

Followed a few lines down with:

"Pavo murmured, turning to sit on Sura's bunk with a nod of the head to the slumbering form of Spurius."

I had to read that over several times, before looking up the word slumbering just to make sure it did mean what I thought that it did. There was also the incident in Constantinople when Spurius' I Dacia men became XI Claudia and then back again. I am not really blaming the author entirely for these mistakes after all he is self published and doesn't have a team of editors and having read this review a few times and corrected mistakes I can only imagine what it must be like for someone going back through a whole book that they had written. However these mistakes also made the flow of the story jar occasionally, especially when I had to re-read sections to work out whether there were XI Claudia fighting or whether he was still talking about the I Dacia. I was also a little sceptical that a ship could sail from Chersonesos to Constantinople and back again in two days.

Aside from these problems, the books itself is not badly written and the story is quite interesting and entertaining. I wouldn't quite put it on a par with the likes of David Gemmell or Conn Iggulden, however it is well worth a read if you are a fan of historical fiction. Were it not for the mistakes and the anachronisms I would have given it four stars, however it is an enjoyable book and it hasn't put me off reading this authors other books.
on 13 September 2011
Not being an e-reader 'yet', I took a chance and bought the paperback version of Legionary by Gordon Doherty. I say took a chance because self published books are an unknown quantity especially if you are going to buy a tangible book because they are more expensive than a the run of the mill paperback and in some cases you will pay the same or indeed more than you would for a hardback of an established author. Nevertheless I decided to give Legionary a go because of the subject matter and after reading SJA Turney's self published and very worthwhile Marius Mules, I knew that not all books of this nature are the devil.

So what did I think of Legionary? The book itself is 388 pages in length so its no small novel and is well written and I would guess edited in the same fashion, so the irritation that may have existed from poor spelling or grammar from a self published book (as I understand exists in some) wasn't there. The story revolves around the experiences of freedman Pavo who becomes 'the Legionary' at a very early age after gaining his freedom in AD 363, and joins the XI Claudio Legion in Rome's Eastern Empire based in Constantinople.

As the story develops the author really does enable the reader to 'live' through Pavo's eyes as he goes from recruit to experienced soldier and even before facing Rome's enemies in the forms of Goth's and Huns, has to survive and get through some quite brutal experiences which adds to the overall plot and remains with the reader and main character throughout. The novel easily allowed me to imagine where Pavo found himself with excellent descriptions of the environments, surroundings and characters. Gordon Doherty has created a book which made me want to know what happened next and I found myself disappointed when I had finished the story in a little less than three days.

So can Mr Doherty, a self published author write? In my humble opinion, yes he can and like Simon Turney he can write a well written and compelling novel that easily takes the reader to the place(s) where he has created for his characters. I think the sign of a good book is one that you don't want to put down and would read from cover to cover if your weary eyes let you, Legionary for me is one of those books and although my eyes got tired, I didn't about the story and so picked it up again the next day. I believe the sequel to Legionary is due out next year and I for one will be buying it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 July 2011
Its not very often that you come across a debut novel this well constructed and written, let alone a self published one.

The plot is well rounded, plenty of cliff hangers and miss directions to keep the reader interested and turning the page.

There are plenty of battle/ fight scenes and they are not the weak gore fests that often flood the self publish world, they are constructed as if the author fought every swing of the sword in practise to make sure he knew it was possible and practical.

There are very few self published authors out there worth reading But SJ Turney and now Gordon Doherty are two you cant afford to miss, because they will not be around at this price for ever, i can see both being snapped up by agents and publishers very quickly.

well recommended

(Parm)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 April 2015
This is not a “bad” book, especially for what seems to have been a first effort. It is certainly worth a read, if only to see whether you like the author’s style of writing. I had quite a lot going for it, although there is also room for improvement in the historical settings, the drawing of the characters and the plot itself, all of which are, at times, problematic, as a few others reviewers have already mentioned. Ultimately, whether you like this book or not, and the following ones in the series (there are three more up to now) largely depends upon what you were expecting to find in the first place, and, perhaps even more importantly, upon personal tastes.

If you were expecting an action-packed historical novel taking place in the Roman Empire and set in period that is often little known by the so-called “general reader”, then this one might appeal to you. While I cannot - and will not - pretend to have read all existing “swords and sandals” novels, as they are sometimes called, this is the first one set during the reign of Emperor Valens (AD 365-378), with the series quite obviously building up to the climatic battle and disaster of Adrianople. However, in choosing this period, the author has set himself a rather big challenge, and I am not quite sure he was entirely aware of what he was undertaking when he got started. To some extent, the challenge is similar to the one he undertook at about the same time with his other series (Strategos) taking place in the Byzantine Empire and which also culminates with a lost battle (in this case the battle of Mantzikert) with far-reaching implications.

The common issue is that, in both cases, to write a novel where the historical settings are detailed, well presented and correct, you need to have a deep understanding of the period and have done a considerable amount of research on your own. The problem with the Roman Empire in the late Fourth century in general and the reign of Valens and the Roman Army at the time in particular, is that there are a lot of “unknowns”, or of uncertainties at least, and therefore quite a lot of what is presented is hypothetical, speculative and extrapolated from what we know of the periods immediately before and after.

The typical example is that of the so-called “border legions” (the limitanei), where there are varying degrees of uncertainty with regards to just about everything related to them: their deployment, the number of legions, the number of troops within each legion, their organisation, their equipment, and the quality of these troops, which might not have been as poor as sometimes mentioned, if only because they saw plenty of fighting. For instance, there may, or may not, have been a first cohort larger-sized cohort and two normal sized ones with a theoretical total of close to 1800 men at Durostorum, the headquarters of the XI Claudia legion. What is fairly certain, however, is that the effective total was lower than the theoretical by a fifth or even perhaps as much as a third.

The historical settings are a bit problematic. The depiction of a legion of limitanei on the Lower Danube is pretty good, and the 11th Claudia really had its headquarters at Durostorum. However, to make a significant detachment (or vexillatio) leave its garrison on a mission to the Bosphorus – nowadays Crimea is not really plausible, even if accompanied by a freshly raised unit of foederati Goths. If anything, with pressure gradually increasing on the Danube borders and most of the field army of Thrace of to the East, the Empire simply did not have cohorts to waster and send off on errands to conduct what seems essentially like a reconnaissance in strength. An additional element making this expedition somewhat unlikely is that the total force sent – something between 1000-1500 – is either too much for a reconnaissance or not really enough to constitute an expeditionary force. The Emperor Valens, who, in AD 376, was not even in Constantinople but already in the East, if I remember correctly, was therefore even less likely to send a second force out after the first one.

Then there is the description of the Huns, which is rather good. This comes straight out from Ammianus Marcellinus and Gordon Doherty has reflected this source rather faithfully, and with all its exaggerations. The Roman author probably never saw a Hun in his life and never operated against them, apparently retiring years before they started to appear on the steppes of what is now Ukraine. Having mentioned this, and since the Romans had never come across them before, their fearsome appearance allied with their horsemanship, their ferocity and the mounted archery for which they became so famous, was certainly enough to scare just about anyone.

The plot hatched by certain grandees in Constantinople is however implausible, with the author being asked to believe that the real instigator of the plot is in contact with a Hunnish warlord, suitably cruel and “ultra-nasty”, as you would expect, to attack the Empire while the imperial administration and the Emperor himself are essentially clueless as to what is going on in what is nowadays Crimea. I will not, however, discuss the fact that it was simply impossible to sail from Constantinople to Bosphorus or vice versa in only a couple of days, because other reviewers have already picked up this one. Suffice is to say that it would have taken at least three to four times as long under optimal conditions, that is assuming favourable winds for both trips.

Also somewhat incredible is the devastation brought by the Huns in the peninsula, and the ease with which they wipe out the Goths. This is especially hard to believe since Gothic forces make a comeback and counterattack further on in the book without the slightest explanation being provided as to where they might have come from. Even the siege of XI Claudia entrenched in a ruin fort and heroically withstand the Hunnish onslaught is rather exaggerated. They will, of course, be rescued at the eleventh hour and only a handful (almost literally) will survive.

As readers of this (and other) reviews will certainly have understood at this point, the main problem with this book is not the context, which is original, nor the events, which, although fictional, may, for some of them at least, be just about believable. It is for instance quite likely that the Huns who did invade and destroy the Kingdom of the Eastern Goths at precisely this time (AD 376) also made an incursion into nowadays Crimea.
What makes the whole story and its characters not entirely plausible and very hard to believe, however, is the author’s rather systematic tendency to exaggerate and “overdo” things. This is also the case of the cast of characters where the “goodies” are, of course, very good and all brave and dedicated and the “baddies” are not only awful or even mindlessly cruel, but they are also all cowards, including the Hun warlord. When you add to this the contrast between the noble, good and brave Gothic Prince and the nasty and treacherous Gothic chieftain, you get the impression that the characters are somewhat caricatures. This is somewhat reinforced by the strong tendency that some of the main heroes – Pavo and his commander officer Gallus – for getting absorbed in their personnel problems and feeling rather over-frequently sorry for themselves.

Despite this, there is one historical character that I found to be very well drawn and where the author clearly seems to have been inspired by Noël Lenski’s remarkable book (“Failure of Empire”) and this is Emperor Valens himself. Valens, especially when compared to his elder brother Valentinian, is often presented as a failure if only because he was killed in battle during the disastrous defeat of Adrianople. So, as usual when a general or an emperor failed and was killed, he was made into a scapegoat and held entirely and solely responsible for the disaster. In the case of Valens, he has been accused of being incompetent and not very bright. Noël Lenski, in his book of the reign of this little known Emperor (AD 364 to AD 378), clearly shows that he was neither, and Gordon Doherty’s book also portrays him as smart and cunning, which he would have had to be to survive for so long and manage successfully (except for the last one, of course) one crisis after another for about fifteen years, as he did.

Three stars for a book that was an exciting read, despite some flaws.
on 7 April 2011
When I first purchased this ebook,I have to confess that I was a little apprehensive.
As a huge fan of Conn Iggulden, Simon Scarrow and David Gemmell, I was initially doubtful that this little known writer would be able to produce the goods.

I'm pleased to say, I couldn't have been more wrong!

'Legionary' is a fantastic story of heroism and deceit; love and camaraderie. It is well written with lavish detail of both characters and scene setting. It has gory battle scenes and enough cliff-hangers for you to want to keep on reading 'just one more chapter'. I found myself totally engrossed and just couldn't put it down!

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of this genre.
on 11 April 2013
I love historic fiction, and this doesn't rate too bad amongst the numerous novels I've read.

The two main characters, Pavo and Gallus, are well fleshed out and I found myself cheering them on against the many bad guys they come across (some would probably argue that Pavo's buddy Sura is a "main" character, but he just seems to be a poor Robin to Pavo's Batman. Or maybe even Alfred the Butler - and not the good Michael Caine one).

I've read both of the Pavo books and like I have said, enjoyed them . I will probably buy any future adventures as well - especially at the bargain Kindle price of £free and £1.99.

However.....there are two things that I have noticed over the course of the two novels that do bug me:-

1. Of course being a legionary is going to put you in a few sticky situations....but Pavo and the other characters (that the author has no intention of killing off) always get rescued in the nick of time. Sometimes by fluke. Sometimes unconvincingly. But always in the nick of time. This isn't a bad thing in itself, but it happens way too much and has gotten a bit predictable.

2. On the other hand, the bit characters (i.e. every Roman legionary in the East) is gonna get the chop. I don't think it's coincidence that the legionary tunic is red, because like their Star Trek security counterparts they ain't gonna make it to the next scene. Ever.

Still, don't let it put you off. The books are enjoyable. Read them.
on 9 September 2012
As a lover of all things to do with the Later Roman era, I downloaded Gordon Doherty's first book about Pavo with eagerness and was not disappointed. It is a cracking romp through the rough and turbulent period under the Augustus Valens where we follow young Pavo and his journey from slave into freedman and legionary recruit. The story is an old one but is given a fresh gloss by the setting and the action. Doherty builds up a supporting cast of characters who buttress Pavo so a reader is always given different perspectives around the main protagonist.

The story is both exciting and diverting in that is introduces the feared Huns along the Bosporus and takes the reader deep into an area not normally covered by writers in Roman fiction. What really sets the novel apart from others, however, is the pace of the narrative. Doherty has crafted a great tale told with precision and confidence which carries the reader along without let. It reminds me of the old novels I loved reading when I was younger written by Burroughs and Howard and has a wonderful pulp feel but which does not stint on research and detail. If you are looking for a well-told tale full of intrigue and battle - with a tense siege at the end and all sorts of climactic cliff-hangers - then read this novel and you will not be disappointed.

On a side note: any novel which references (if only in a small asides) my favourite legion - the Quinta Macedonica Legio - gets my vote.
on 26 October 2011
Sry for my basic english, but I much more enjoy reading than writing english. As a German und big fan of historical fiction, I started 8 years ago to read english written novels, cause the offering of good books about roman and medieval times in the German market is quite limited and of average quality most. So after all the books of Bernard Cornwell (not Sharpe!!), Simon Scarrow, Christian Cameron etc. I looked for new and interesting authors. By chance I found Legionary and after the recommandations und though the book cover displeases the eye, I bought it :)

Subsumption: Gordon Doherty is no Simon Scarrow, but he probably will be! Out of the ordinary phase of roman history (4th century), but then tough friendship between men of different cultures, interesting plot about the eastern roman empire, a lot of fight scenes well and vital described, a closed end with a plot for another book like the eagles of Scarrow.

I enjoyed reading very much and am expecting the next book quite joyfully :)
on 9 December 2013
Roman history is a well-ploughed field for writers of historical fiction, but Doherty has found an era, late in the decline and fall, which has not been overdone. The book is well written, and the various strands of the plot are skilfully woven together. The weapons, siege engines, and military organisation are accurately described, giving a solid and believable framework for an exciting story. I give it four rather than five stars, because in the later stages of the story there are too many hairsbreadth escapes, too many scarcely believable twists and turns in the action. This is a common fault in thrillers of all kinds, where the author cannot restrain himself from going over the top in resolving the plot. All in all, though, a good read, and I will pay the author the compliment of reading more of his stories.