4.0 out of 5 stars Black Heath Seance Parlour
Though not my ususal choice of subject matter I soon got caught up in the characters who were very well drawn and compelling, making me care about what happened to them and where the story led them and me the reader. I also like the atmosphere the book created of Victorian Black Heath and the dark arts. I read this book in November when the nights were drawing in and it...
Published 8 months ago by Angela Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Blackheath, spiritualist authenticity, but what about the ending?
My own interest as a writer in the spiritualist world of the Victorian and Edwardian eras drew me to this novel, but if you are looking for a good historical novel with plenty of authentic detail then there is much to appeal here. Middle-aged sisters Judy and Maggie Cloak have inherited a shop in the windswept, weather-beaten village of Blackheath on the outskirts of east...
Published 6 months ago by allonymbooks

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Blackheath Seance Parlour, 3 Feb 2014
Absolutely brilliant, one of the most scary books I have read, would recommend this book to any one who enjoys horror stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Blackheath Seance Parlour (Paperback)
This book was absolutely brilliant! I was hooked from page 1 - I went to school near Blackheath so it was fantastic to go back in time to the 1940s and get absorbed in this magical gothic story about two crazy sisters...it has some added humour too - all the perfect ingredients for a great read. I highly recommend this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 27 Jan 2014
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What a great read!

Believable, exciting, interesting a great book.

The characters were well formed as was the story. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book that had me hooked!, 26 Jan 2014
A great book that had me hooked from the beginning. Also interesting since we live in the area and I found it enjoyable to read some history about the area linked to the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 26 Jan 2014
An absolute must read. It has everything you want to read , horror and pure laugh out loud moments. Loved both sisters
but I sometimes could have shook Maggie. Hope this ends up as a film. It would be brilliant especially when the book nears the end, don't want to give anything away.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 25 Jan 2014
An atmospheric, dark, funny, touching & gripping book, a great winter read that transports the reader back in time. Maggie & June will be in my mind forever more when I walk over the Heath on dark and rainy evenings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 7 Jan 2014
A riveting read. It was impossible to predict where the storyline would take me and I really enjoyed the layering of different stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story within s story!, 7 Jan 2014
I loved this book, the characters are all very interesting and I cared what happened to them all.
I also enjoyed "the novel" what an unusual idea, but it worked well.
Loved it, was sad when the story ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book!!!, 7 Jan 2014
I have a confession. I bought this book on the day of it's (delayed) release u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ on the recommendation of my scary friend Janice ( who knew the author, shall we say,......"intimately" at one time....) and then I just let it gather dust.
I wasn't sure I would enjoy it and then I would have to think of creative ways of sidestepping my thoughts about it with ( the quite frankly) formidable Janice .....
Well more fool me.
it is quite simply a magnificent novel that i literally couldn't put down.
There is so much content crammed into a thoroughly entertaining 1133 pages.
The story of the genesis of the Seance Parlour itself, the brilliant realised Cloak sisters, the seemingly secondary character of Netta whose journey and secrets surprised me the most. All this is written with humour,skill and a real affection for the characters inhabiting this Victorian Blackheath neighborhood .
All this as well as a novel within the novel - an exciting gothic tale in itself, populated by a mad scientists, a Princesses, a rather unusual brother and sister and the governess who holds their secrets close).
Did I mention there is a serial killer on the loose? A missing Father? A hidden secret in one of the Cloak sisters houses and even a glimpse into Bedlam....

I loved, loved, LOVED this book.

Do yourself a favour, treat yourself - buy this book (or I may just set my friend Janice on you....)

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 6 Jan 2014
I bought this book purely on the title as I have lived in Blackheath for most of my life in a very haunted Victorian house. I found the book very well researched by the Author. The actual story was interesting, the characters amazing, and I thought the story within a story was very good. I would have loved to have been around in those times. The description of the heath and places were spot on.

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

Blackheath Seance Parlour
Blackheath Seance Parlour by Alan Williams (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)
9.29